1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    Not sure about him. This season has been his only high scoring season of his career. Not to say he wouldn't be good but seems a big risk to replace eddy.

2. DonnyCelt

To replace Eddy I agree, to play alongside him he would thrive imo

3. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Makes sense... Forster, Tierney, Scotty Sinclair, Bitton and Paddy Roberts all with the same agent as him, he must at least be on our list of potential Eddy replacements (* forbid)

4. StevieBhoooy!

The Edouard/Griff partnership was just starting to cook when the shutdown started... I’d rather see that fire up from day one...

We know (and Lenny does more importantly) that it works.

5. Foley1888

Where I agree the Griff and Eddy partnership was great, if either have an injury or miss games for any reason then we are down to Bayo and Klimala who are both unproven, however we did pay good money for Klimala so you would expect him to get a chance at some stage. There have also been a few places suggesting Bayo may be moved on if possible.

6. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    If he is moved on do we give a chance to say Afolabi or Aitchison etc couldn't be any worse as 4th striker. only way we can see if these lads are good enough for us is playing for us

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. Foley1888

Could well do and agree how do you know if they are capable if they don't play, other than trust the managements judgement. I am just keen that we don't end up in another situation (for the third season in a row) where we are going in to crucial games with no fully fit striker and playing a small winger upfront. The same could be said at CB as well where I think we need at least one first team player in.

8. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I agree some of it is down to Lenny I do think he's been amazing but waits to long to make changes when 2 or 3 with 30 minutes get eddy off and get Klimala or Bayo etc on the pitch for half hour. same with Brown with Soro etc do it that way. See what they can do as oppose to 10 minutes here and there

The_Bhoy and Foley1888 like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aitchison won't make it here. Afolabi needs a loan to a top flight club..

Where the league will be skint and lot's of player's going.....we should be loaning out quite a few player's to top flights side's this year. I think we will as well..

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Someone made amendments to Renato Tapia's wiki age. Quite funny.
    Screenshot_20200603_121850.jpg

11. Foley1888

I agree with this also, I think it is likely both may end up out on loan next season. With no proper reserve team football why notloan out anyone who we think has promise other SPL teams at least if not league 1 in England. The likes of Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Hibs, St Mirren, Livi (horrible park aside), Motherwell and Dundee Utd are all teams needing players given the current crisis which has left them with tiny squads. The boys could go play a full season and get good experience of the league and let us see if they are capable or not.

The likes of Connell, Deas, Welsh, McInroy, Armstrong Oko-Flex, Mullen, O'Connor, Henderson, Afolabi, McGrath, Harper and Burt are all players that if we think are unlikely to get first team minutes we should be looking to get loan deals for. I left out Dembele as I think he will be around the first team squad but if not I would include him too. Other fringe players such as Bayo, if he is going to have another season where he gets 5 mins here and there then we would be better putting him out on loan too for the first half of the season even to see what he can do given a run of games.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I agree with some of this but boys like Deas has been on 2 loans already and done well by all accounts on loan. Same with Welsh he was on loan then played a first team game I would like to see 1 if not both in the first team squad at CB, Can't just keep loaning out players after loan give them a chance in the top team or punt them.

Dembele could be in and around it we need to be encouraging more of our young players who have had multiple loans already into the 1st team see if they're good enough if not punt them simple as that. We have a good youth system why not start taking advantage of it

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. Foley1888

I think if they are ready ( and management think they are) then this would definitely be the preferred option however there are 12 players listed above (13 if you include Dembele and I forgot Robertson from the group above), being realistic there will not be more than two or three who will breakthrough in a season.

However, if they are not going to play I would rather they were playing the minimum level we need them to be able to play at (SPL), than the current reserve team set up consisting of playing the odd bounce game against other SPL or EPL reserve teams with no season. I don't see how that can possibly be best for their development. Where as if they weren't going to get much/any game time surely a 6 month loan to a SPL team where they would play, would be to their and our benefit moving forward.

For example, its unlikely both Deas and Welsh will get a lot of game time given they play the same position, say whichever one is rated higher stays and is part of the first team squad and the other goes to a Motherwell or Hibs for a spell like what Ajer did with Killie. The loans both players have been on are to championship level or below. You only have to look at recent history with Morgan, who was the standout player in that division the season before he came to Celtic and he failed to really break into the team.

14. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I totally get that and agree with alot of it you aren't going to know if they're ready until you play them for 1 and if that means giving Deas or Welsh a go then we should do that loaning them out again to a SPL Club might be beneficial I would rather see one get game time with us.

When was the last time we had 2 or 3 break through we have none really other than MJ playing consistently at present which isn't a great advertisement for our youth development. Henderson for example played good for us under Rodgers went to Ross County didn't play heaps so there is pros and cons to both on that side of it.

If we have a successfully pathway to the 1st team we can attract better youth players to the club etc at this stage I would be saying am I going to play there and develop if I was a younger player out on loan after loan. Might make a career at a lower league club but how do we know if don't give them games in the top side

15. Foley1888

There is no doubt it would be great to see more get their chance and it is a difficult one to get right. In terms of young players breaking through there isn't a huge number over recent years however, we have a few making big contributions to the team.

All be it over a long period of time but in our current first team squad Forrest, McGregor and Johnston are three academy, Tierney was too and sold for big money last year or he would be another. Frimpong was signed as a youth prospect as was Ajer and Christie so they are another three. So there are 6 players arguably that are in our current starting 11, definitely match day squad, that got there by impressing in our youth teams or on loan and have taken their chance to get in the first team when it has come.

I know the last three are not the same as coming from the academy, but arguably Johnston and Frimpong had breakthrough seasons to be considered first team players, granted Frimpong is cheating a bit as we had just signed him but I have no doubt he was signed as potential rather than expected to have made such a big impact in the first team last year.

If we got another two this year say one of Welsh and Dea's and Dembele or another then by modern football standards that is pretty good going.

16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Aitchison has played at a higher level than afolabi and scored more goals. And they are the same age. People forget how old aitchison is just because he made his debut with us 4 years ago! Haha he’s scored at every level he’s played, he needs a chance now he’s matured before we make a decision on him.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aitchison was sub at Forest Green for a lot of his time there..

He's never making it here..

18. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Accord to transfermarkt he start 23 of the 30 games he played there in the league scored 6 goals and had 5 assists huns payed 7 million for Ryan Kent with stats like that

The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Towards the end he was definitely being subbed more. I was checking flashscore lineups..

He isn't good enough to get a chance here..

Dan Breen likes this.
  20. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.