1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ronny Deila Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Glasgow_Bhoy88, Jun 6, 2014.

Discuss The Ronny Deila Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Was searching through Celtic chat for a thread hence the reason I couldn’t find one :giggle1:.
    Hopefully mods get it sorted don’t want to confuse folk :50:

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Just keep looking and you will find the gold.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  3. Cupid Stunt

Impact he made regarding fitness, diet etc. I still think is under appreciated by some.

I think back to his qualifying campaigns and cup runs as well and the amount of bad luck we had under Ronny was unreal at times. He was robbed of a treble and he was robbed of CL qualification away at Malmo (I think it was) when Bitton's goal was disallowed for hand ball, even though it was the defender who handled it.

Couple of howlers from defenders denied us some decent results in Europa as well.

Peej likes this.
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I take it the vid gets better, 20 mins in and I'm needing a coffee to stay awake

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

You did well to last 20.

Marty McFly likes this.
  6. James Gold Member Gold Member

aye he's not a great storyteller

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Got to 35 minutes and I'm done.

I like the guy but couldn't stick that.

JML67 likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOLLOWING in the footsteps of Neil Lennon’s first three league title-winning spell as Celtic manager was never going to be easy, but Ronnie Deila stepped up when he entered the Paradise dugout.

Between 2014 and 2016, the Norwegian helped the Hoops clinch the Scottish Premiership in two consecutive seasons – the fourth and fifth championships of the current run – making him an integral part of the club’s incredible nine-in-a-row success.

It was of course Neil Lennon who secured the first three and the most recent two, with Brendan Rodgers overseeing titles number six and seven.

“It’s fantastic,” said Deila of the champions’ most recent accolade. “I’m very proud to have been Celtic manager and also proud to be part of what the club has achieved for nine years. It’s a big achievement and I just enjoy watching and seeing the success now. Hopefully, it’ll be one more next year so that we can create a new record.”

Now in charge of MLS outfit New York City FC, Deila has watched Celtic from across the Atlantic this season, and enjoys chatting football with the city’s contingent of Hoops fans at every opportunity.

The Norwegian hailed the job Neil Lennon has done on his return, and the achievements of his own successor, Rodgers in his wake. He described Scott Brown as an uncompromising leader and winner, and has been delighted with the seemingly unstoppable progress of Callum McGregor, the latter of who he handed his debut in 2014.

In 2016, Deila signed countryman Kris Ajer who has since impressed with his performances and attitude, and he can’t wait to see what the future holds for the 22-year-old from here.

He added: “At Celtic, you understand it very quickly, that 10-in-a-row was very important. The fans sang about it all the time, and you just felt that it was something very important. Now, it’s nine and it’s going to be very exciting next season.

“For me, it was a special time. It’s one thing what you achieve and what you do on the pitch, but it’s also what kind of values you have and what you give to the people around you. And I think that was an important thing for me – I wanted to be myself and give something to the fans and to the people working at the club. And I think that’s something people appreciate.

“Of course, it’s nice for me to play a part in that history. But the job the players have done, and so many people in the club who’ve been there for many years, is much more important than me.

“And I think the positive thing is, you don’t feel that it’s going to end. You feel that the club is still hungry and wants to achieve more. So far, they’ve done it, and that’s great, and I know the motivation going into next season is going to be unbelievable because of what they can win.

“I’m just so happy for all the Celtic fans and the club because they’ve done nine now.”

Rydo1888* likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Really enjoyed his interview. Love listening to him talk about football. Think he’d be better prepared for the job these days too.

Saul Goodman and Peej like this.
  10. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I enjoy listening to him. Really hope to see him back at Parkhead for the 10 in a row party, that would definitely be worth one last Ronny Roar.

Whoflungdung and TheHappyLoss like this.
  11. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    A good fella..............

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I would honestly take him back as a manager after Lennon now.

I firmly believe a large part of his "downfall" at Celtic was having Collins 'forced' on him.
    The original plan was for him to be the assistant and I think if that was the case, an assistant to Keane as the example, then in due course deila would have been the manager and done amazingly better.

Collins forced too much on to the players, almost drill sargent like, which I believe was a good selling point to deila for having Collins around, but perhaps not to the same extent that it ended up being with the way Collins goes about his management. The previous issues with brown I said many years ago was part of the reason things didn't go to well with all the players, I think more players were anti Collins rather than against deila, who will have felt more on the sides than anything else.
    Like he also mentioned about half way through the si ferry interview, the heirarchy is not the same in Scotland to that of Scandinavia, where as Collins comes across as very much being part of a hierarchy.
    It was always going to be a clash, even if both are about fitness and nutrition.

Think deila has learned a lot from his time here and it will do him wonders in the states, where there is a pro athlete approach to everything, but from what I know of the dynamics there in MLS, it's more friendly and "in it together" approach.
    We can all laugh at the franchise aspect of it all, but they do properly see their sports as root level family affairs, where players and coaching staff are all working together, not the players working for the manager.

Guy certainly deserves to come back to Celtic park as often as he wants, I hope he is here next year at some point, a few times I hope. First to come as a visit early in the season (covid permitting) and at the end of the season/start of the next one in a hopeful massive celebration of a ten in a row.

After that, honestly, I would take him back as a manager in the future.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

13. annieroos83

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    One last Ronny Roar as we lift up the tenth league title.

StevieBhoooy! likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Story Of' is a web series dedicated to small but special tales from Celtic’s illustrious history. Here, we recall Ronny’s signature celebration with the fans.

EX-CELTIC manager Ronny Deila will be remembered on paper for his integral role in nine in-a-row – the Norwegian having returned the league championship to Paradise twice during his two-year spell at the club. In person, however, he’ll be remembered for the Ronnie Roar.

Replacing Neil Lennon was never going to be easy, given how successful the Irishman had been during his first stretch as boss, and it took Deila a few months to find his stride in league competition. After a dazzling 6-1 home win over Dundee United on August 16, 2014, the Hoops lost 1-0 at Inverness Caley the following week before drawing 1-1 against Dundee at Dens Park the week after that.

A few weeks on, an unforeseen 1-1 home draw with Motherwell followed, and a shock 1-0 home defeat to Hamilton underlined Deila’s tumultuous start in the dugout. Straight league wins against Ross County, Kilmarnock and ICT set up an encounter with an on-form Aberdeen at Pittodrie on November 9, and a late Virgil Van Dijk goal marked a great win, a well-earned three points and a sense that Deila had turned a corner as Celtic manager.

Buoyed by his team’s performance and the last-gasp nature of the win, Ronny celebrated fervently, punching the air in a rhythm matched with cheers from the travelling support. And thus, the Ronny Roar was born.

It was a very good feeling,” Deila told the Celtic View magazine after the Pittodrie win. “It was a very tough game because we had played in Romania in Europe on Thursday and had a lot of travelling. We have played seven matches in three-and-a-half weeks now and to win the way we did was just a fantastic moment. It was a great victory.

“We could have lost our heads when we got one man sent off but we remained disciplined and fought for each other and then we got the goal as well. It was brilliant.

“We also did it in front of our supporters who are so good home and away, especially away – it’s unbelievable how many of them travel to all the games. To get that moment together with the fans and the players was fantastic. I’m a very emotional guy. I try to stay calm, of course, but it was hard to keep the emotions inside when something like that happens. It was good.

“It’s also important that we have a very close relationship between the fans, players and staff. We have to feel this togetherness with the fans. It was a fantastic moment.

“Without fans, football is dead. We play football for the fans and it’s important to have that togetherness and Celtic, in my opinion, maybe have the best fans in the world.”

17. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    “Without fans, football is dead. We play football for the fans and it’s important to have that togetherness and Celtic, in my opinion, maybe have the best fans in the world.”.......there no maybes we have the best fans in the world......

18. Bonobhoy

And blantantly cheated out a Treble,shame on that.

19. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    His team are playing on sky sports and bet 365 still 0-0.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member