1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Forrest or mcgeady

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by scotsbhoy1, Apr 23, 2020.

Discuss Forrest or mcgeady in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    This is purely on footballing talent. Growing up mcgeady was my favourite Celtic player but I would admit Forrest has carried the team more times than I can count. I'd say Forrest is far more consistent than Mcgeady but Mcgeady should have been better than he ended up.

2. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    McGeady had more talent but didn't make the most of it after he left.

Forrest has got less about him, but stayed and made the absolute best out of himself.

I'd have loved to have had them both at the same time though.

3. JamesM09

Might be unfair because McGeady was a good while ago now but I think in their prime Forrest is a far better footballer.

georgiebhoy likes this.
  4. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Talent wise it’s not even close. Forrest is faster but prime McGeady was ripping up the Champions League against AC Milan and co - something Forrest has failed to do - mitigation obviously as Aiden had better teammates. McGeady arguably didn’t achieve his full potential but was enormously skillful and i think time has made people forget.

James is far more consistent though now he’s got his injuries under control and could well play another 10 years for Celtic.

5. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What he said,shame McGeady never kicked on, could have been some player imho...

Bayern Bru likes this.
  6. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Forrest

McGeady had more in the locker but Forrests ethic pulls him ahead.

7. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was lucky to play in some good teams, but not at a high level although I think what I was told is relative to this. Played with a bloke who had played for Newport and he summed it up, we beat better teams. That’s what Forrest has done, put a bit of application in and will cover your weaknesses. Strange how the same stories about great players being last off the training fields keeps coming up ? Maybe I am doing Aidan a misservice , he never kicked on and that was that....who knows.

8. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Forrest all day long,

McGeady was a sand dancer who more often than not played passes to the advertising hoardings than team mates. Some great skills but not the team player that Forrest has turned into.

years ago I wanted rid of Forrest and I saw him as another nearly but not quite player, I am more than delighted to say that my opinion of him was entirely wrong. He has his moments of disappearing, but his contribution since the tanned dwarf took over as manager has been incredible even allowing for some patchy form and injuries.

I openly repent and ask his forgiveness.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  9. Seosamh Máirtín

McGeady had bags of talent. Even now in his old age, he's tearing it up for Sunderland. Not surprised to see Jamesy ahead of him in this poll, but I think everyone is ignoring the 'who has more talent' part of OP's message. Don't let the heart rule over the head, come on.

AwesomeCaz and Lennon1888 like this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Mcgeady hasn't been that good for Sunderland in a while.
    I actually think McGeady disappointed me. In his early 20s he looked like a world beater. Some how he never pushed on. Jamesy looked like a squad player in his early 20s but his improvement over the last 3 years has shocked me.

11. DaBomber

I’m far from a fan of the wee man but to be fair to him he did absolutely slaughter Bayern at parkhead a couple of seasons back!

My biggest criticism of him is he never brings it against them. He always posts missing at castle greyskull!

freederry20 likes this.
  12. murphy88

McGeady. Far more talent than what Forrest has got. Forrest will get a more credit because he has been here longer and played during an unbelievably successful period. Forest is playing in teams that are scoring goals for fun, McGeady played in Strachan's team mostly who didn't do that. McGeady carried that team for long spells. Had McGeady played in the team's we have had in revenge times, his goals and assists would be far higher than what they were. In terms of natural ability it's not close. I still think Forrest can go missing in big games as well. If McGeady wasn't having his best game he would still want the ball, Forrest doesn't do that.

freederry20 likes this.
  13. joemc

It's not even close , mcgeady was not a team player ,often holding onto the ball too long and being crowded out and losing possession ,had all the skill but struck me as the type of player who knew he was better than he actually was .
    Forrest exploded into the lenny team way back and carried us a few times ,then was crippled by constant injury to hamstrings that held him back for years ,being scared to fully use his pace for a while for fear of breaking down again .
    Again like mcgeady ,frustrated the * out of fans posting missing in the games we really needed them ,but for a year under ronny and since has been the player I thought he was at the start , a real pro with a great attitude on and off the park ,often getting the vital goal or assisting ,much more secure in his ability now and a vital player ,in the zone absolutely untouchable .

14. celtic warrior

The most important difference.

One thing that Forrest is without doubt, far better with than McGeady by a country mile..... End product.

If McGeady's was at the same level then he would have been some player.

All ifs and buts and imagining what could have been but Forrest to me may not be as flashy skills wise but is far more lethal in front of goal.

15. James Gold Member Gold Member

could combine both for the most frustrating player in history

16. Mince.Charming

McGeady doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Some mental and pretty disrespectful comments on McGeady on here. He absolutely carried our team at times.

McGeady played mostly in a Strachan team that was rigidly defensive and set up more not to lose, rather than with the purpose of taking the game to the opponent. The team generally gave him the ball and just expected him to make something out of nothing and I've never seen a player get rougher treatment by the opposition, normally unpunished by the officials.

Forrest rushed onto the scene under Lennon with raw pace and made a name for himself going by opponents but he suffered with a lack of end product even more than what people level at McGeady. It was only really when the rat came in that he started really scoring and assisting on a much more regular basis. Under Deila he was seen by most as a guy who had lost his way, fluffing his hair and pulling up his socks while pleading for a foul from the ref as play went on around about him.

Both have been great servants for our club, Aiden done us a turn by signing a long-term contract and agreeing to leave to Spartak in a record deal that then allowed Lennon to fund the rebuild from the Mowbray era.

In terms of ability I'd say McGeady was better and it's not really close. Forrest has been a little more fortunate in the teams he has played in for us, can you imagine a peak McGeady on the left with Dembele up top, Rogic in the 10 and Roberts out wide? They would be devastating.

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Forrest, surprised the poll is so close.

19. cammy07

Forrest's best game in a celtic shirt was against Bayern Munich so that's bullshit. He roasted alaba like I've never seen anyone do to him before.

Would be very close but for me forrest edges it, the past 3 or 4 years he's been absolutely immense for celtic. If McGeady had stayed around a few more years who knows, but selling him was probably the right thing to do at the time, as gutting as it was.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’d argue people are being far more disrespectful of Forrest in this thread, who will go down as a bonafide Celtic legend when his time is eventually over. McGeady won’t.

McGeady never fully fulfilled his enormous potential. Forrest has lived with the weight of expectation season in and season out for over a decade, producing in the big moments time and time again - including in Europe.

Stats;

McGeady
    Played 197 goals 32 assists 48

Forrest
    Played 385 goals 89 assists 92

In the biggest pressure Champions League qualifiers;

McGeady
    Played 7 goals 0 assists 0

Forrest
    Played 40 goals 8 assists 6

There’s far more to ‘footballing talent’ than stepovers and flicks, of which McGeady had far more in his locker - no arguments there. End product and reliability in a Celtic strip there is no comparison - Forrest is far superior.

Metrobhoy and Doogs. like this.