1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You’re comparing a TV show that they’ve recorded previously, to a full blown live UFC card.

Miles apart from each other.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Are you being serious? When do you think the WWE is being recorded?

It’s not a full blown live UFC card, it’s an empty arena with 2 sweaty men all lever each other with a ref and camera crews. There’s no difference whatsoever to WWE from a social distancing point of view.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They can record a WWE show over a full day or multiple days. A lot of it has probably been done already. There’s certainly not 10 matches either, probably the same guys recording multiple matches. After a match they can get in and replace ropes etc.

You simply can’t do that for a full UFC card being recorded live.

If you think that’s the same then you’re just being difficult for your own argument.

I don’t think either should be happening, but they are different situations.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

They record WWE in a ring with big sweaty men all over each other, a referee and camera crews recording it during this current pandemic. The UFC would be literally identical apart from the fact you’d be seeing action in real time.

I’m not saying either should or shouldn’t be going ahead but there are literal parallels between the 2. Only difference being from UFC’s point of view is that they are now Pinocchio to Disney’s Geppetto and when looking at it from that angle, they were never risking that PR disaster. The McMahon’s on the other hand don’t GAF.

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

But like I said. There’s less “matches” and they can get in between filming matches to replace ropes etc, therefore reducing the risk.

I get they are similar, but there’s more risk in what the UFC were doing.

6. Nasser

It's easier to clean an Octagon/mats than replace ropes also wrestling they would have to clean inside and outside the ring in a huge area. Wrestling is constant contact, the risk is the same.

7. Nasser

This is the huge postive of wrestling organisations they don't have to pander to pathetic companies like Disney.

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s not easier to do it when you’ve got limited time between fights on a live 10 fight card. You can get in and clean but it’s not going to be thorough.

WWE have all the time in the world to replace as much as they want. They can also work less contact into the matches if they want.

The situations are so different.

It’s not exactly pathetic looking after the well being of humans. Especially the way it’s going in the states.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Just to put an exclamation mark on my point - WWE will be live as of next week.

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

That changes everything though. It doesn’t put an exclamation mark on your point, it just makes it feasible now.

11. Al Bootyerbaws

One of the wwe people has coronavirus the company are saying. That wrestling * should be shut down same as everything else anyway.

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It’s not based on much tbh, but it always seemed to me to be unrealistic to expect this event to go ahead irrespective of what Dana was saying. Even if it was just based on ESPN telling him it couldn’t go ahead, that alone was always likely to materialise.

Had no idea WWE was still going ahead though. I would imagine it’s far less regulated as it flirts between sports and entertainment.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Regulation isn’t the issue though, the fights were literally primed and going ahead but for Disney/ESPN pulling the plug.

There was a comment from the commission that they’d have to make sure the fights were safely delivered, which without confirming, pretty much suggests they’d have been involved in some capacity - albeit against their collective will.

14. Nasser

As if Disney care about that, they care about $, they were happy to let it go ahead at first. It comes down to politics. As for cleaning process; it's not going to make any difference, the same for the "less contact" argument which is not true because it's wrestling.
    Also some WWE/AEW shows are live so there is not time for huge cleaning time.

15. Nasser

All though if everyone in Wrestling was to dress up as a Bunny I'm sure there might be less of a risk.:56:
    [​IMG]

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They were pre recording for a few weeks and stockpiled in case. They have only just gone live again now because somehow the WWE has been deemed essential business. Which is ludicrous.

How doesn’t time make a difference to cleaning? If I give you a 5 minute ad break to clean your kitchen you’ll not make a dent. If I give you as much time as you want it’ll be spotless. If it floats your boat you could replace the kitchen completely. It’s as simple as that.

Also you can’t dictate what happens in an MMA fight, there could be as much grappling and contact as the fighters want. In WWE they can cut full contact down less than usual and have more strikes. It’s not really “wrestling” is it. It’s a choreographed fight.

This is all irrelevant now that the shows are live again. Like I said it’s a bigger issue as they’ve been deemed essential business, which is wrong. Vince has saved some money by shutting down the XFL and he’s probably lining someone’s pockets with it.

17. Nasser

The bolded part is an issue a lot of MMA fans have.

Watch recent live fights, the risk is people at close proximity hugging each other, in AEW/WWE it's not like they are keeping to social 2 meter distance rules

Live shows there is just not the time to have huge cleaning operations, you get limited time for adverts and that's it.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Aye we agree now.

All I was saying was when the WWE were pre taping shows it was very different to a live UFC show. Now it’s all live again it’s similar. The fact it’s considered essential is mental, it’s a glorified soap opera. Let your staff go home.

In my opinion neither should be on. Couldn’t give a flying toss about WWE, someone else made the comparison. I’d of loved that UFC card to go ahead but it’s not right to do so.

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Fair * to Tony Ferguson for making weight for a non existent fight.

MacEwan likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Guy is genuine, straight up, certified, crackers.

Don’t think it can be underestimated how difficult that is to do, for * all reason.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.