1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

McChiellini.. likes this.
  2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Chances are it will be very hard for us to sign both Elyounoussi and Forster permanently from Southampton but if they feel he is surplus to requirements then who knows we are still in with a shout of getting both. Reading that seems to me like a player keeping his options open and saying what needs to be said so to speak in terms of the club that currently owns his contract rather then closing any doors with us.

3. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think most folks are in for a serious reality check when this current situation calms down a little before the next wave hits us.

1. no club will be able to carry the ridiculous squad sizes as before.

2. the transfer market at the higher end will be stagnant due to travel restrictions and fear of travelling by players and agents. At the middle and lower ends there will be an enormous glut of free agents as all clubs cut their cloth. It is here where most “business” will be done for a lot of clubs.

3. the days of 35 first teamers all pulling down a minimum £3/5k per week is gone. Let’s face it a manager comes in and only plays his favourites anyway and is only really forced to change things up when injuries strike. A squad of 24/25 players is more realistic and then the reserve squad will need to cover when called upon.

- all this talk of league reconstruction should instantly include a properly structured reserve league - not this lightweight development garbage. Proper weekly football for players to do their job. This is not just about Saving Hearts from their own stinking mire.

4. the wage bill at Celtic Park all told last year was around £61M and that will need to be cut massively. The days of largesse like this in the Scottish Football Leagues are most definitely over for the foreseeable future.

a lot of the players out of contract or approaching end of contract will be allowed to go, no fee no fuss.

if we do absolutely nothing else in the transfer market, whenever that may be this year or early next year after shutdown 2, we must sign Forster. That’s it. A proper goalie who can save penalties, generally doesn’t * about and doesn’t have wrists like cooked spaghetti.

Hopefully Edouard will stay for another full season, again whenever that may be.

The rest doesn’t matter. We think it matters as fans but the economic ramifications of this will be massive and the expectations of supporters will not even be remotely attempted to be managed by sensible clubs. Fans can fantasise about signings and squad development, but the foreseeable future will be what you have and the odd inexpensive addition only if the balance is right.

The other side of this pandemic is a distance away and clubs will be scratching to survive and then planning long term to avoid being hit again. That’s why we should be pushing hard for a proper reserve league. Money spent on one dud. who will never play first team football, would cover the expenses, fees and transportation etc per week, just one cut from the wage bill. That way the younger development squad guys and pros returning from injury or much needed game time can develop properly. Not all this iPad coaching *, proper football. Then it will be easier for them to step up when the time comes.

It’s going to be very very hard for a lot of clubs and a very different landscape. I hope the TV companies also put aside the lunacy of the EPL and such like - over hyped, over paid nonsense. Super Sunday - Burnley V Brighton!!! * off!

If we press reset and all the other leagues do across Europe in particular, we could salvage the soul of football.

Big C and Westlondonscot like this.
  4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Great post.
    We need to get a grip on our expectations, suspect all out of contract players will be out the door, sure the like of Hayes would be worth a year but it will be down to economics. Big FF and French Eddy on a contract extension would be a good piece of business, and at the end of the day, that may be our lot, apart from maybe a few loans or picking up a few of the many frees that will be available-left back and another center half. That would be a decent piece of business if it pans out like that.
    And remember, the likes of Polish Paddy and Soro, along with Micky J, should strengthen our first team squad.
    And our squad is so bloated at present, could easily reduce by 12 to 15.

5. murphy88

I think the current situation will lead to a more level playing field when we get back to normal. Teams like Southampton or any other middle of the road EPL team who could easily come and get our players if they wanted, I don't think that will be the case. The lack of TV money must be crippling these teams just now because that is their main source of income. It's different for us as TV revenue doesn't really make a huge difference for us in comparison. The circumstances are completely awful and you would never wish it, but this bubble down South that has been spoken about for years and it having to burst some time, well this could be that time in my opinion.

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Getting Shift of players is going to be tough. I think it's unlikely people will be buying much. Hayes and Gordon are the only players who's contracts expire this summer. At best we will be able to loan some off, but we will still pay a bulk of the wages.

7. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Tbh would be happy with FF and Eddy new contract , and only if Bolingoli and Jozo leave replace them think we need to give Taylor a chance so even likes of Hickey and Big dumpling McKenna to replace them , then maybe Paddy Robert's , think players will be hesitant moving abroad for the next while once we get back up running

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Does Jozo have a year left or is there a contract 1 year option?
    Bolingoli, we may have to keep as buying market will be weak, at best we may get a loan to buy for him.

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah there is a 1 year option on jozo and lenny was apparently keen to take it up

10. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Think Biton an Jozo are decent back up tbh think we will better that as Back up , Ajer hasn't had his best season but still happy with him an Julien as 1st choice tbh if we go 3 would be happy wa El Hamed in there an s youngster like Welsh as 6th choice

11. DaveKing'seye

It appears the right back Omar Elabdellaoui, the full back we were chasing last year is out of contract this summer. Also see Timothy Fosu-Mensah is out of contract aswell, what a signing he would be.

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    There is pros and cons to keeping him. I read he is only on 10k a week which isn't huge. Replacing him will cost money and that money for this summer may be better spent elsewhere. Cons, 10k is more than Welsh will be on and I think he should be getting more games. Also he is a bit pants. We have Welsh and Bitton to cover El Hamed, Ajer and Jullien. That should be enough.

13. murphy88

I would sell Ajer if we get a decent fee for him. Goes to ground far too easily and you wouldn't get a wet paper towel under his feet when he jumps. I rated him highly at one point but he has been poor this season.

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He just doesn't seem to have made the leap you would have expected. He is still decent but replaceable

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Firstly he is still very young only 22 so while he has not had a stellar year I would not be losing faith in the guy as while he has not been stellar this year he has not been a disaster either. Secondly the idea of selling him is out the window given the current circumstances I would think. Nobody is going to be paying big fees for players anytime soon. I would say your looking at the summer 22 transfer window before any significant transfer fees might be getting thrown around again on a regular basis.

16. murphy88

He is only 22 but his decision making seems to have gotten worse with the more experience he is getting, which is odd. He is too rash. For a guy of his size he is poor in the air also. I have went right off him. I actually really liked him at one point too. If we were going to wait until summer 22 we would be losing him for nout unless he signs a new deal also. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't sell him for sweeties. I would still be looking for a decent fee.

17. murphy88

I know. I honestly thought we had a top player on our hands, I'm not convinced we do now.

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I see it the other way unfortunately our clubs rely heavily on fans through the gate their is rumours that we won’t be able to get big numbers through our stadium if and when football resumes if it happens then we are handicapped whilst the English all they have to do is rely on tv money whilst playing to half empty stadiums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. murphy88

Right now there is no guarantee of having no fans. I don't see how if fans are not allowed to go to games then games can be played at all either. Unless they are going to test all players, coaches etc prior to the game as they will be just as much at risk.

Also, if the games are going to be played behind closed doors, will companies be so keen to offer lucrative TV deals? Teams down South right now must be taking a hammering financially. The wages of their squads will all be astronomical.

20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I hear what your saying and time will tell. Personally I still have high hopes. But regardless who is going to be paying big money for anybody in the next year? That why I am saying I do not see anything happening till the summer of 22 at least in terms of the transfer market returning in full force. Our best bet is to get him to sign an extension. Facts are next season even is going to be a nightmare for clubs financially as chances are the games will be played without fans until a vaccine and or treatment is available and next season will most likely be without fans in the stadiums as that is unlikely to happen before next summer. Teams are just not going to be spending much if at all in the transfer market in terms of big fees until at least the summer of 22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.