1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RiquelmeCSC

Hitting Lisbon on my cruise tomorrow, cannot wait to see the Stadium where this man led our team to its greatest ever achievement!

jake10, Marty McFly and Marie like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

A NEW state-of-the-art 4g sports pitch at Our Lady’s High School in Motherwell is to be named after Celtic legend and former pupil, Billy McNeill. Construction work on the new ‘Billy McNeill Sports Park’ officially got underway at Our Lady’s High today (Thursday), and it will be completed later this year.

Billy, Celtic’s greatest ever captain, sadly passed away last month. His wife, Liz, and one of his daughters, Libby, joined pupils, and Our Lady’s headteacher, Dan Cardle and Paul Kelly, Depute Leader of North Lanarkshire Council to launch work on the new park.

Another Lisbon Lion, the late great Bobby Murdoch, also attended Our Lady’s High before going on to join Celtic.

"It’s fantastic," said Billy's wife Liz. "I couldn’t believe when they first said they were going to do it. Billy enjoyed his time here at the school."

Billy's daughter Libby added: "It’s an absolute honour, I’m sure my dad would be very proud of everything that’s happening here."

The school, which was founded in 1888 the same year as Celtic FC, has had other famous former pupils who have reached the pinnacle of footballing success. Iconic former Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby, former Celtic and Motherwell player, Stephen Pearson and current Celtic defender, Kieran Tierney, all attended the school.

When completed, the all-weather 11-a-side pitch on the current school campus at Dalzell Drive will be used for a number of sports including football and hockey.

Paul Kelly, Depute Leader of North Lanarkshire Council said: “Billy McNeill is rightly remembered as an all-time sporting great and an inspiration to young people. Billy proudly hailed from North Lanarkshire having been born and brought up in Bellshill and attending high school here in Motherwell.

“When the decision was made to build a new sports pitch for the pupils at Our Lady’s, it seemed fitting to name the park after the school’s most famous former pupil. We are all looking forward to the pitch being completed and providing a first class sports area for pupils and the local community to enjoy.”

Headteacher of Our Lady's High School, Daniel Cardle, added: "The parent council have been working really hard for a number of years to get a new pitch here, and they started the process just at the start of the year.

"Things have been moving along since, and obviously with the sad passing of Billy, there was a lot of discussion about bringing Billy’s name and legacy into it at a recent parent council meeting. It was decided that it was appropriate, that the pitch was named after him, particularly given Billy was a former pupil here.

"I think everybody in the community, particularly at Our Lady’s High School, is very proud of the fact that Billy is a former pupil. The majority of the people in the school weren’t born when Billy was about, when he lifted the European Cup, including myself, but his name will go on forever.

"Now that the project is underway, people will forever remember and know the legacy that Billy left behind."

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Was the story of him teaching how to defend corners on here? Was hoping to send it on but I cant articulate it as well as I read it.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Dear Friends,

We would like to express our heartfelt thanks to you all for the expressions of condolence, support and tribute that we received in such great volume following the loss of Billy.

We have been unable to acknowledge every single one but we have drawn huge strength from the overwhelming number of cards, letters, flowers and memories shared that have come our way and we want you to know that they have been an enormous comfort to us all.

Thank you also for your kind donations to Alzheimer Scotland.

We are all part of a very special family and we will never forget the love and support that you gave to Billy throughout his life and the warmth and compassion you have shown us at such a difficult time.

With our deepest gratitude,

The McNeill Family

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I remember my uncle took me to the 1980 european cup quarter final against real madrid at Parkheid, where we beat them 2-0. I was 12yrs old at the time.

A night i will never forget and always remember, with Cesar being our manager.

HH Cesar. :ynwacelti

seamus1967, JC Anton and Lilac Wine like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    2 March 1940 - a Legend was born

:62: :notworthy :shamrock:

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....

His grandson looks likes he's still missing in the Dam. Alarming..

Strangely last caught on Cctv jogging as well first thing in the morning. Bit strange...Just seen the picture of him holding a bottle of beer in the last picture..

Hopefully he turns up..

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Found dead in a canal is being reported today. So sad at such a young age with a whole life ahead of him.

RIP :shamrock:

16. Harry Caray

Terrible news, after two weeks it was inevitable. Was it suicide or murder ?

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Awww that's awful news, so sad, R.I.P :shamrock:

Thoughts and prayers are with all the family.

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It could have been a tragic accident. Not that this should be of primary concern.

RIP, so very sad :shamrock:

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky