1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Defending against Ross County

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by SkyeCelt, Jan 26, 2020.

Discuss Defending against Ross County in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SkyeCelt

Watching the highlights- our defending was concerning. Pretty inept at times. A decent team would have beaten us easily yesterday. We can't defend like that in the coming weeks and expect to win the league.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  2. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Key thing for me was jozo again stepping out and not winning the ball. He done it last week away to killie and done it several times again yesterday.
    All their chances came from his side. If Hayes has pushed too far up jozo needs to realise he can’t make errors like he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HendoBhoy67 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  3. Sgt Neppers*

Agree that the defending was not good, however 3 of the back 4 aren't 1 choices for their positions. Hopefully when people are back fit the mistakes dry up.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Left side of the defence was abysmal! Both jozo and Hayes shouldn’t be offered new deals and let go in the summer!

HendoBhoy67, Cobbs67 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That's what happens when you play 2nd string players plus Jullien has been poor defensively last 3 games, too many mistakes.

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We played 2nd string as Ajer, El Hamed, Bolingoli and Frimpong are all injured. Most should be back soon.

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I know... The only one I question is Hayes ahead of Taylor. The rest is due to injuries.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was terrible..

Jozo and Hayes were a riot..

Jullien needs to play deep or with a backline with pace....or he can be exposed that way also..

9. Jeremie Frimpong

Jullien looked like he had concrete blocks for boots.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We need continuity.

Changes when we have injuries are unavoidable but we've probably not played the same back 4 for a consecutive run of 5 games and that shows.

Jozo looks miles off the pace, fresh air swipes, hashed clearances, done in the air.

Hayes is a handy player to have around the squad and he's usually Mr. Dependable but he was lax yesterday. Twice he played wayward passes in-field straight to an opposition player and against better opposition we'd have been punished.

Bauer is nothing more than a stop gap. Average player and he knows it.

Ajer has been ropey of late, diving in, losing Katic at the corner, getting beat in the air by Cosgrove.

Lennon needs to find a settled back 4 and stick with them as the chopping and changing is doing us no favours.

Elhamed Julien Benkovic Taylor

Would my back 4 if we can get Benkovic back in and Elhamed back fit.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Elhamed
    Ajer
    Jullien
    Boli

That would be my 4 when all are fit..

If Benkovic signs then a back 3 of

Elhamed/Ajer
    Jullien
    Benkovic is also fine..

At home against diddy side's....Frimpong is probably better to have in and most of us have no problem with him and Elhamed rotating over the rest of the season..

The left backs are a worry. Boli is the best for me but it isn't a great bunch. I still get nervous with Boli..

Taylor is tiny and so slow. Positinally terrible as well and don't think his attacking play is much cop. Hayes is ok and had some decent game's but still gets exposed often and another who isn't great going forward..

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We really need another dominant CB in, i have a feeling Ajer could be off in the summer too so i'd prefer a permanent deal too.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Read this article mate: https://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/patient-taylor-deserves-his-chance/

Taylor is better by pretty much every metric

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Not a fan of Jozo, and I’d sell him if possible. I’m definitely in the camp of thinking we need another CB signing.

johnboy19 likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Have to take it in to account the level of opposition that Taylor has faced to be fair. Accies at home and an abysmal Thistle side away..

I don't think he was good in either of those to be fair..

I genuinely think it's a position we'll be looking at in the summer again..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

True but I remember someone posting his stats last season v Tierney and he looked favourable in them too.

I wasn't all that keen on the signing and I'm still not convinced he's the long-term answer but he definitely deserves a chance. Boli's had a run of games and been hot & cold and Hayes can fill in but shouldn't be our no.1 LB.

Gyp Rosetti and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I don't think Taylor is a bad player, but on the evidence so far he dosen't look to be at the level required to play for us, that's not to say he can't improve, i'm just not convinced any of the current LB's are good enough tbh.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It's his pace that frightens the life outta me. He really looks like he's blowing and can barely get up or back half the time..

Boli has his flaws but we know that he can bomb up and down all day and has a lot of pace..

I wouldn't be comfortable with Taylor on the left at any difficult away game's. I think he'd be caught out and targeted..

I'm maybe being harsh but if he's to get another go in the coming week's....it would have to be a home game against a bottom 6 side..

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think you are mate but the guy I sit with said the same after the Hamilton game and I thought the opposite.

Watched back the highlights there and he's involved plenty. Cross inside that Ntcham should bury from 6 yards, 2nd half he jinks past 2 men and starts an attack, also presses the man in the 6 yard box when the ball breaks along the line, unlucky to see it go wide.

There was also a last ditch tackle that game that isn't on the highlights were he covered for the mistake of someone else, can't remember who.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Elhamed Jullien Ajer Boli/Taylor

That is plenty good enough for the rest of the season, especially if the real Ajer returns. Frimpong can be dipped in and out as he should be for a guy his age, we’ve already probably went to that well too much so far.

I like Boli, seemingly a lot more than a lot of other Celtic fans, but we need to see Taylor after half a dozen games to see if he’s got it or not. I don’t know what folk are writing him off based on and that’s coming from someone that didn’t want him signed in the first place :56: