1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Taylor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Greg Taylor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Yeah CM,saw him trying to take on his man and the majority of the time he didn't get past him.When he did,I can't remember him getting a decent ball into our forwards.
    McGregor and him had plenty of the ball,but it didn't work imo.
    Two banks of four!!...we are talking about a Championship defence that are in a relegation battle that we could hardly breakdown.The team was set out for our full backs to get forward and feed balls into the two up front or Rogic.Quite happy to be proved wrong by the players in the future...Happy with the win but not the performance against an average defence set up.

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The White Kieran Tierney

3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Majority of time he was up against 2 players though, there was no runners into the channel or going down line for him until Arzani came on, everyone just crowded the middle of the pitch leaving him little options or space. Also got to remember he's barely played and he done more than Frimpong tonight. McGregor and Ntcham never worked in the diamond, bother were poor and that's where it slowed down too much.

Other issue was a lot of time they were receiving the ball when getting closed down, we rarely got the ball forward quick enough to get either full back running onto the ball in the final 3rd it was always from deep. We made it easy for Partick with our overall play in the 2nd half especially to defend against, for me the full backs done as much as they could with little support. I want to see us play a 352 personally.

Mickmac, Lilac Wine and tarboltontim like this.
  4. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    I honestly think a more attacking formation in domestic games,as you say 352,suits the players and the style that we crave

Mickmac likes this.
  5. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Tierney could have coped with the diamond formation but Taylor clearly needs the 5 midfielders. He may still be a good signing with a run of games with the correct balance beside him.

Wasn't impressed today however.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  6. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    I don't think he was better or worse than wee Frimpong. he had no winger in-front to play off, and was left to cut back or play a short pass inside. He's never been an attacking wing back. I still think he's a better option than Boli, but LB still remains a problem position unless game time allows GT to kick on more, he'll be rustier than most just now.

TonyTim, littlekennie and Jeannie960 like this.
  7. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Don't understand the criticism, to be honest. Thought he was fine. Ahead of Boli for me.

Mickmac, Artorias, NomDePlum and 7 others like this.
  8. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Same mate, thought he done well last night.

9. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Thought he looked ok

Would have liked to have seen him Get down flank and crossing for attackers but was new formation and first game for a while,

You need to get the ball quickly to a fullback so he can attack and cross I don’t think we did that we were as usual happy playing keep the ball and in them cases the midfielder has to play a slide through ball or just be far more inventive in getting the full back in

In my opinion we need to get the opposition out of their shells by getting early leads as just about every team we
    Play sits deep to frustrate us and we don’t seem comfortable

Think we need to mix it up a lot more we are far to predictable

We could and should be able to press right up in teams and force them to make mistakes and win the ball back and squeeze the * out of them but when we up the intensity and do that we seem to give fouls away too much

That’s how I’d have us play anyhow

10. made in ireland

None of the current crop of left backs are good enough, in my opinion. It’s still a position that the club need to address.

11. Jeffrey

Theres not one positive attribute this guy posseses at our level. Bang average so far, but hes still only 22.

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Away and smoke a Jeffrey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Written off after 2 games haha. Give the lad a run of games then judge.

Mickmac and Lilac Wine like this.
  14. Maestro 08

He'll be a steady player for us. One of those that fans have low expectations of but never let's us down when he's called upon but as a first choice LB I think we'll need better & that includes Boli who is erratic at the best of times.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It's clear that Lenny dosen't rate him, his mind set cannot be good tbh, are we looking at more money (2 mil) wasted ?

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Another sign that our scouting and recruitment at times is a shambles, we have spent the guts of £5 million on two left backs that can’t get a game ahead of Jonny Hayes.

Twisty, Rydo1888*, Artorias and 2 others like this.
  17. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    It does seem strange that we spend a lot of money on him and 6 months later he doesn’t get game time ?

18. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    Taylor for me is the best of a mediocre choice at left back that we have, but i just want Lenny to settle on one and get them a run of games so they can start forming partnerships on the wing and be settled. Taylor or Boli aren't going to develop and become first choice with Hayes getting lumped in every other week, but maybe that's a sign of how Lenny see's them.

Peej likes this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The way I'm seeing the whole situation is,
    Boli was brought in as the number one left back, but flopped at the start.
    Taylor was brought in as long term development.
    We persisted with boli and saw some consistency and small improvements with him adapting slowly to the game here.

Hayes shows a dogged determination and plays with passion, with both Taylor and boli out at one point, Hayes gets the nod and becomes the "versatile veteran" that Lennon so loves to have.

With Taylor being still seen as young and developing, boli being out of form and needing games to get up to speed, Lennon seems to want to stick with the supposed "safe" option in hayes. Hayes I like and he has done a shift for us at left back in the past, but it is clear as * he isn't a left back.

If Taylor is fit though, he should be playing as a the natural left back. If boli can fight him for it, fine. But Hayes is a last resort option.

Overall though, left back needs a * overhaul. Again.

Taylor can stay, boli isn't good enough and Hayes needs to be used more sparingly and in a different role.

Bring in a first team, ready to go, can start the next game for a full 90minutes and doesn't have an injury already, left back.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

20. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't think you can judge him yet. He isn't the greatest at going past a defender but he linked up well with Forrest when he played on the left (did a lot of 1-2s and got in behind) and I think he needs a winger to play with going forward but he seems good defensively and works hard. Needs a run to find out what he can do.