1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

La Liga 2019-20

Discussion in 'World Football' started by StPauli1916, Jul 1, 2019.

Discuss La Liga 2019-20 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    FCBarca likes this.
  2. Jeremie Frimpong

Is Setién good on the PlayStation?

Officer Doofy likes this.
  3. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I am thrilled. I have wanted him since seeing him at Las Palmas in 2015. A true Cruyff disciple

Only guarantee is that we will see a return to the playing style cules covet, we'll see how that translates to wins/titles

Soooo happy Valverde is out, icing on the cake is Setien and that the board has been massively embarrassed with their poor sporting strategy

Valhalla and Peej like this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Valverde had to go but you must have at least some concerns that your manager is in his 60’s and has literally won nothing.

Folk are holding up a victory at the Camp Nou as his crowning glory, which is embarrassing.

5. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I have no idea why age would enter into it and certainly not someone who is 61 - his football is youthful just as Bielsa is and Menotti was. It is an irrelevant consideration IMHO

That might be your criteria but I think outplaying RM & Barcelona in their own stadiums in addition to beating them with far inferior resources is the best evidence of what he brings. Quique is courageous and his teams play that way, I am thrilled to see what he can do with far greater resources never available to him. As I tell others, Pep's experience when he took over for Rijkaard was coaching a 4th division B team

Embarrassing is having let Valverde continue for as long as he has after the Roma debacle

6. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

To be fair you could point to someone like Sarri who's 60 only now and only in the past 5 years has come into prominence with his remarkable work at Napoli pushing Juve all the way. Getting Chelsea back into the top 4 and winning the Europa League and now in charge of Juventus.

Setien's principles in regard to football are more aligned to what Barcelona are suited to. To what their players are suited to. I don't think it'll require an absolute genius of a manager to get the best out of them. Just one who'll encourage and facilitate the players in playing a game which suite their strengths. Setien's, Juego de posicion (positional play) is similar to that of Guardiola, his brand of football will suite players like Dembele, De Jong, etc far more than Valverde's overly pragmatic approach.

For me it's the best fit if you assume guys like Guardiola, Tuchel, etc are unavailable.

7. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    In his own words:

"I felt that football could be played better, but I didn't see it until Johan Cruyff showed it to us. It was clear to me when Cruyff's Barcelona appeared that you have to throw yourself behind the ball and spend 80 minutes running. You want to press but you never get the ball, I told myself that this is what football is like. I started watching football in a different way and I understood the essence of the game.

What you have to do is play with your head, not with your feet or your heart, I immediately think of Sergio Busquets. He's an incredibly intelligent footballer and is constantly reading the game.

Everything I do is a clear reflection of the game I have seen Barça do for many years.

When a player like Xavi retires, it's as if a kidney is removed. And the day that Messi retires, I will cry forever"

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You have no idea why age would enter into it? He’s been a Manager for 20 years and has won nothing, zero, zilch.

It’s a punt when there was no real need for one.

9. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    I'd say your understanding of Barcelona then is about zero, zilch, nothing. Two treble winning coaches in Lucho & Pep had zero titles when they took over. Rijkaard had won nothing, his only prior coaching experience saw the club relegated. Even Valverde had only won meaningless titles before getting the Barca job.

Coaches at Barcelona are not considered for their titles but a whole other set of criteria - Setien ticks most of them, even at 61. Guarantee you of one thing, this version of Barca & their play will not reflect anything but a youthful side rather than someone 61

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  10. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Of course it's a punt, most other managers who play the style of football Barca want their team to play, especially the supporters (who were critical of Valverde even when they were winning) are simply unavailable at this stage.

11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    @FCBarca What yer thoughts on the signing of Griezmann, has he been a success so far ?

Must be honest any time i've watched him in a Barca jersey, the balance of the team just dosen't look right.

12. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Don’t know anything about the manager but seeing Paul getting schooled is always nice.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

My knowledge of Barcelona is immaterial to the facts you’re brushing over

You’ve never signed a manager with a 20 year career under his belt who’s won nothing and attempting to link him to Pep is laughable. His career highlight is beating Barcelona away from home once, that’s all you’re reading about.

Barcelona are not alien, they’re a football club. Yes they have a specific set of values but since Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi have been on the seen that is wholly underpinned by trophies.

Of which, the new Manager has won zero, zilch, nothing.

14. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

:56::56:

Barcelona supporter telling you that the signing makes sense and you still can’t accept you may be wrong about something.

Aidan O’Shea and Officer Doofy like this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You’re on a Celtic Forum of thousands of people that can’t agree about anything and you’re trying to tell me a random Barca fan is the Barca oracle :56::56::56:

16. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

No I’m telling you that you’re embarrassing, decided to take a look at this manager.

You do realise you’re repeating the same line about how a manager hasn’t won anything in his 20 year manager career when he was managing in the second and third division for about 15 of those years.

I also wasn’t aware there were different opinions on this forum, thought it was only yours. Weird.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Good lad, took you long enough for the penny to drop.

18. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

:38: Used to get much more out of you than this Paul, maybe I’ve finally gotten through to you.

Anyways, tell the Wellie I said hello.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Looks like a good choice. By all accounts get his teams playing fantastic football.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Betis were excellent under him when they got in to Europe..

Feel like they should've went for a Pochettino or even a Nagelsmann type though as Pochettino would get them set-up better and gives youngsters a chance and Nagelsmamm would have them exciting as *. I'm unsure what Setien will get from that defensive side of Barca..

Also feel Valverde took them back that much it's gonna take quite a lot of time to get the deadwood out and shape that Barca side with a more fluid, solid and athletic side.....they certainly need it..