1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Boruc17, May 6, 2019.

Discuss Australia in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

It is heartbreaking... but almost the same amount of farmed animals are slaughtered every 48 hours worldwide (and most of them are far more sentient than all the species included in the Australia number).

Sadly, I'm not hearing the outpouring of grief for them.

:54:

2. celtic warrior

Not the time, nor the place.

Davbhoyinoz likes this.
  3. scootz

Why?

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  4. scootz

It's always the time and place to call out injustice!

5. Mince.Charming

6. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Theres a difference between raising a few species of animals for food and losing over 5mill animals that make up an eco system, as much as I dont agree with infact i hate factory farming both are not the same

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

scootz, Davbhoyinoz and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Decent info in that vid, really interesting

Pity he delivers it like a complete *.

Mince.Charming and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I seen there was over 200 arrests due to arson, but the other thing that has definitely not helped is the fact they have had 3 of the hottest months ever recorded.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    There's no decent info, this * trying to blame 97 kids for burning almost a whole country, is it the kids who made it 42°C during the summer for the past 3 years, its it the kids who have caused droughts every year for the past 10, is it kids who deregulated there environmental regulations, transferred huge bodies of water for industry use only, and in turn pumps millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere, no this climate change made by us plain and simple

kramer1, Gyp Rosetti and Sean Daleer like this.
  10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was more speaking about the fire breaks tbh

I like how you impersonated the * with your tone of post :50:

11. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I know mate didn't mean it to come across like that, these * get me so angry

Gyp Rosetti and Marty McFly like this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Gave up after 2 minutes.

Go light a fire in Scotland right now, infact wait until summer and light a fire.

If it kills a billion animals and destroys billions of acres of land then maybe that right wing * in the video might have a point.

kramer1, Gyp Rosetti and cas79 like this.
  13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Agree with this the points he makes do need looked at - assuming they are factually correct regarding the laws stopping fire breaks from being created. Also the couple of hundred * starting fires isn't obviously due to climate change. Although no-one would try and claim that. However the problem is the conditions that are present mean that the fires once started, however they are started, spread as quickly as they are doing and that is down to, based on the science available, climate change.

And yes he really is a *.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

How many people do you think light campfires in the summer in Scotland? How many times does this result in wildfires?

There may have been some accidental fires in Oz, there might even have been malicious arson at play.

Trying to claim climate change didn't play a part in the whole * country being ablaze is typical climate denier nonsense.

As for him in the video, I wouldn't * on him if he was on fire. Loathsome * stands against everything I believe in.

Taz likes this.
  15. scootz

Of course it's not the same. Orwell made it clear many many moons ago... 'some animals are more equal than others'. I take your point though. My issue surrounds the sentience of those farmed animals, and the cruelty they endure... and the fact that most humans couldn't give two * about them. But anyway, parallels can be drawn between the two, and hypocrisy can be called on the tears surrounding the devastation to the Oz wildlife. It's worth bearing in mind that ALL ecosystems are under threat partly because of factory farming.

The situation in Australia is terrifying and heartbreaking, but events like this should serve as our warning to give more of a * about our planet and more of a * about our fellow earthlings.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    kramer1 likes this.
  16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Oh so we go into denial then about climate change then? Australia has been suffering from a drought for years, especially in NSW. The temperatures have steadily been going up in recent times, and between the heat and the drought it makes much of the outback dry kindling and ready to be out of control. While the causes of the fires as well as there not having been suitable backburning done previously have added to the devastation, anyone saying that climate change has not been a contributing factor here is in a state of denial. It is a perfect storm of many such elements at work here, but denying that climate change is not an underlying factor is patently wrong.

Australia in 2019

• Australia's warmest year on record
    • Annual national mean maximum temperature warmest on record
    • Set new records for hottest months on record in 7 months (Jan, Feb, March, April, July, Oct, Dec)
    • Significant heatwaves in Jan & Dec
    • Australia's driest year on record
    • National average rainfall down 40%
    • Much of Australia severely affected by drought - esp in NSW & Southern QLD
    • National annual accumulated Forest Fire Danger Index highest since 1950, when national records began
    Australia's average temperature has risen over 2°C over the last 110 years.

The last 30 years accounting for nearly all of that, and the last 10 years collectively have been the hottest decade ever.

The graph on this page illustrates exactly this:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/annual/aus/#tabs=Temperature

Although there are an array of elements that have come together to cause the current disaster, that does not change for 1 minute the fact that climate change is a reality and no amount of trying to lay all the blame elsewhere can correct this. Some of the fires may have been intentionally lit, some accidently lit, some simply from people not extinguishing campfire properly as well as the natural causes, such as lightning, and historically backburning has prevented the scale of what we are seeing now, but that does not change the basic facts of being true - Australia is a hotter and drier country than it has ever been, and that is a result of climate change.

17. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Thanks for your input. Solid post.

And now over to Angus, for some conspiracy-based information he read on a website or something.

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The * is Alex Jones little English *, the day I listen to him is the day I chuck it.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  19. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I quick Google search tells you everything you need to know about this * head

kramer1 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  20. scootz

As other have said - the reduction of managed fire corridors hasn't helped the situation, but he's conveniently 'forgot' the fact that sustained raised average temperatures has left the country like a tinderbox.

These * do my head in! They're not ignorant or trolling - they're profiteering from their bullshit!

Gyp Rosetti likes this.