1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Still think we'll win the league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 30, 2019.

Discuss Still think we'll win the league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Still hurting like *- first of all stats don’t matter but to say we couldn’t play as bad again in cup final and did is utter bullshit- we were nowhere near as bad on Sunday as we were in cup final

cup stats rangers 7 shots on target Celtic 1
    Rangers 69% possession Celtic 31

Sunday shots on target
    Celtic 5 rangers 4
    Possession Celtic 52 rangers 48

does not change result I know- missed penalty- to put it into perspective- there is only 1 point if they which they no doubt will win their game in hand- very much still in our hands- up to us to prove it

worst case scenario if they do stop ✋ 9, I will be back the next season- getting behind my heroes- heard a wee guy after Dunfermline game saying “ it’s not going to be a quadruple treble this year “, a thought spoilt little *- it took 30 years as a fan to see 1 treble- a can live with that “

And at present aw this we’ve got a better squad than them- no sure about that

2. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Fact is that they have to beat us at Parkhead sometime. It cant just go on forever. The way they're fans see it....its been 10 years since they beat us at Parkhead. The way our fans see it...its they're first ever victory over us at Celtic Park. Either way it had to happen sometime.

I look back to the 90s when we were absolutely awful at some points and still managed to sneak a victory or 2 at Ibrox. I remember one game John Collins scored from a free kick and then Paul McStay scored in the second half and we won 2-0. Remember we were really really pish during these times yet we still picked up the odd victory over them (and celebrated like we'd won the league).

A lot hinges on this transfer window. Lenny needs to sort out the problem up front and he needs to find a way of combating the huns in midfield. Cause midfield is where the problem lies. If we can control that....we win the game....and quite comfortably too. Everyone needs to calm down. Even if they win they're game in hand its only one point. There's half a season to go yet and if your a betting man...who would you put your money on to go steady for half a season....pick up the points needed and get over the line???? I think on past form it would have to be us. A draw at Ibrox does the trick and a victory at Parkhead. But we need to strengthen strengthen strengthen in this window or the fans will never forgive the board if we do not win 9 in a row.

charlietully and Sydneysider like this.
  3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Might be a better tactic if we loan hendry directly to the huns.

charlietully likes this.
  4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good post.

Criticism of the performance last week is fully justified, but it wasn’t close to being as bad as the cup final. The result seemed to hinge on a few key moments, whereas the cup final was entirely one sided.

We still need to improve though, some positions need cover (striker badly so) whilst others need completion. Tactically we need to consider dropping our number 10/attacking midfielder back into a midfield 3 in games against the huns. Having guys like El Hamed and Mo back would be a big boost.

5. celtic warrior

What hurt me most about the loss is that it was clear as day they were feart of Eddie starting, you could see it in how they started the game. They just didn't have the instant high press and agressiveness.

Even still, our guys just didn't show up and failed to get motivated for the match, at home. That is criminal.

Yeah scoring the pen probably changes the game and forces them to come out and attack, but we missed.

Can't wait to get Elhamad back especially, as he is key to allowing Lenny to open up the formation to a possible 3-5-2 allowing Frimpong and Forrest to be interchangeable.

Lilac Wine and King of Kings like this.
  6. KingArtur'1

Depends

Cant see them dropping many points or us either.

We need to play differently against them,they effectively have a spare man in the middle ie davis kamara jack vs brown mcgregor as our other midfielders are attackin mid/wingers.

We need to match up or go 4-4-2 against them.

7. Dubliner1

If we are going to win the league then we need to improve this current team. On the last 2 games what we have all seen then we will not beat them. Seems to me we have far too many cowards in our team when we play them. Bring in 3 new players straight in to the first 11 to improve our team and we will win the league.

8. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Nope dont think we will win it

9. joemc

The finish line is always the hardest to cross when it's near .

10. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    It all hinges on this transfer window. The huns have already said that their not signing anyone. We need to go out and spend a good amount of money on another striker...and a good one....already proven....not a loan signing.....and (and I know we've got hunners of them) another midfielder......one that can combat the huns in the middle of the park and allow Brown and McGregor to play they're game.

If we're serious about 9 in a row......and if we're serious about having a good go in the Europa League...then we MUST spend money and strengthen properly in this window. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we dont strengthen properly in this window and we lose this league then the fans will go ape * against Lawell and the board. It'll be sack the board time again and I mean seriously.

trackebhoy and seanm like this.
  11. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Getting Tom Rogic fit and on form would be huge for us in the title run in .

Lilac Wine likes this.
  12. seanm

This post all day long.9iar is in serious danger.HH

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah we seem far to light weight and that’s fine when your playing beautiful football dominating and winning but against them in the last year or so it’s not been like that the games are a lot closer and they are outplaying us, what’s really disappointing is that we don’t seem to have answers

E.g. if we are to continue with our current formation then we have to get the ball out quickly wide and the wingers must drive to the by line and whip balls in but we don’t seem to be able to do that we’ve had enough games to do this and haven’t so it leaves us with either having to buy stronger better players or change formation to compete better with them in the middle of park

joemc likes this.
  14. joemc

If you look at recent comments from lenny it was all centred on not scoring enough headers and virtually no threat at corners , he has tried to address this by asking more from our taller players , but you could not describe any of our players as robust physical types which is really wot we are crying out for against them .
    Lenny brought on griff later on because he was disappointed in the delivery into the box , if you look at them its were they are much better than us , and its exactly wot we need to beat the system they are using to stop us creating , cutting out the passes to our attacking players by pressing relentlessly , however we still created some chances ,but when chances are few players tend to rush them ,having forced myself to watch that game again , we made some poor decisions wen we got in good areas , and we were poor in wide areas , we needed to press their defenders better but allowed them to pick out long diagonals ,putting us on the back foot .

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  15. celtic warrior

We need to find another version of Dembele.

The hint of what Eddie and Dembele could have done together was electric, find someone who can offer as close to as what Dembele did and so much pressure comes off Eddie to be our main man having to constantly be the out all and hold the ball so we can start attacks.

Eddie especially would be an even greater threat with a proper partner.

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I’ve heard people call Glenn Murray the white Dembele. :fear:

celtic warrior likes this.
  17. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

We should do but it won't be pretty, it'll be us limping over the line and it certainly won't be any thanks to the board actually backing us significantly. It'll be in spite of it. It's actually kinda mad 18 months down the line and we've not replaced Dembele at all, we've not really strengthened many areas, more just replaced. There's areas that we could have done with freshening up a bit, strengthening, adding serious competition but we've been doing the absolute bare minimum and are hoping to get 9IAR by doing as little as possible and saving as much money in doing it instead of doing it in a way that we'd be guaranteed to win the title.

18. Cupid Stunt

I can't remember the last time we played them where they had to put together a make shift back four, no left winger and start a game with a midfielder up top against us anyway.

Yet, somewhat ironically I guess, the game at Celtic Park is one of the first in a while we've not thrown someone in at the deep end, like Johnstone or Morgan up top, or had someone like Bitton at centre back or Hayes at left back.

Even at Celtic Park, you could argue Frimpong being so young and our only option is quite poor and Johsntone was only just getting over an injury.

They've had a cb out or a forward out here and there, but they always seem to have options to replace them.

To be honest, most people I spoke to were adamant the wheels were going to fall off their season in December and we'd be upwards of 8 points clear.

19. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The bit that concerns me is that we could be going to the Shitpit and need to get a result in order to stay in with a chance of winning the league.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What’s concerning about that? We’ve already done it this season...

Lilac Wine and Dannybhoy81 like this.