1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Still think we'll win the league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 30, 2019.

Discuss Still think we'll win the league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

2. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Eh beat the * twice. Why not!!!!
    Have some faith in your team ffs

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We have already beat them twice this season. What facts are you using to claim we can beat them twice again?

Happy clapper

4. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The fact we have better players.
    Match the fire and we win simples

Sonic Reducer and Sean Daleer like this.
  5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Whoosh :57:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

And their winner came from a corner that never was. Boli had a good shot saved, Johnston, Christie and Eddy all got in great positions and took the wrong option or poor finishing. They had a few pass backs to Fraser that was it, 2 biggest chances they scored.

They still play the same way, they play a narrow frontline and midfield then push the fullbacks up as their width (lump the ball in the box). Difference on that occassion was we pinned their fullbacks in their half leaving them * all width then created the space. We played with * all pace and no fight, that’s where we lost the game not tactics or being outplayed.

Well that’s exactly why they weren’t up for the fight mate, they just thought they had to turn up and win.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A lot of folk refusing to see what they don't want to see IMO. An only slightly improved Hun team would not have had a hope in * of getting out of that Europa group. We still have better players (on average); but do we still have the better team? I genuinely don't know.

Whether it's because he has Klopp and Rafa on speed dial or because he's a better tactician than we gave him credit for is utterly immaterial; either way he has schooled us tactically in 5 of the last 7 games.

If we continue like this, I actually think we may well lose the league. We fans need to take our head out of the sand. Either we need to significantly up our game tactically in the rest of the season (especially games against them) or we need to buy some game-changing quality this month. While no one would be happier than me if the rumours about Benkovic and Vic were true, somehow I highly doubt it; so it's over to Lenny and JK to step up now on the tactical side.

8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I would add they never back Rodgers in his last 2 summer & January windows then came the big * you from him in February last year when he walked.

We should have been signing players like Big Chris in his time. Instead we signed dross or loads of loans like in Rodgers last window.

9. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    As already pointed out they have only dropped 4 points in the games other than ourselves.

By that logic they won't drop many more. Added to the fact they did that on the back of a hefty European campaign. Now they have 4 euro games max.

They will also push the boat out because they are in real fight to stop the 9.

But we have players in our squad now that maybe won't get the opportunities to prove themselves as much as we hoped. Because every league game is a cup final at the moment.

Players like O'Connor,hendry,oconnell,shved,Morgan and griff could get loaned to the likes to your Aberdeen or hibs etc to go out for 6 months to earn game time next season. But also be a thorn to the Huns each time they play them this season. Getting the overall quality of the league to a higher standard.

Against the Huns we seen two carbon copy games. They do a fast press and swamp the central area with 3 in the middle of the park in Jack, Davis and Kamara. Aribo and Kent dug in and closed of the outball to our wingers and supply line to Christie and Eddie. That plan was simple and you could see they asked Kent to not let Brown dictate the tempo.

They must have highlighted our two full backs as our weaklinks. They played quite a few diagonal balls are balls down the channel in behind for Harvey to chase down and pull our centre halves out of position. It was quite successful. Cutting the supply to our wingers enabled their full backs to get forward more and in particular barisic exposed us.

Having El-ham available to add physical presence to the right back area will help us.

10. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

11. SkyeCelt

We will win the league, but we can't afford to lose the next game against Rangers. Every other team in the league is pish, I can't see either us or Rangers dropping many points to the other teams.

I think we need to recognise that while we do have better players that their grit is now in question, although Lennon starving the midfield of bodies didn't help. The Rangers players appeared to want it more in the last game and we were complacent. That's not acceptable in any game against them.

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I share the same concern about them dropping little points, but there is now a full transfer window to loan out players for game time.

This is a test of the players mettle. We need characters and those willing to commit to the cause and we have to be ruthless in the pursuit of the league.

it might be an unpopular opinion, but if players like Bayo and Griffiths cant be relied upon, then now is the time to move them on or loan them out and bring im those who will and can because, if the worst happens we will look back at the end of the season and see this as an opportunity wasted.

13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    spot on. I think of Motherwell turn up at home they could take points and if Aberdeen can get on top of their dodgy form, they have sometimes done us a turn vs them. Other than that, you have to look at the away games on artificial surfaces as potential banana skins

14. Lewis Kerr

Great post. Agree with all of that. I genuinely think the lack of rotation is killing us, Lenny is very stubborn in this aspect of his management and it will probably cost us if not addressed.

15. StevieBhoooy!

I would add St Johnstone into the short list of clubs we should loan players to...

They have 3 games to still play against the Huns assuming they make the cut...

It shouldn’t be necessary but Sevco have weakened other sides over the last 2 seasons by picking up their better players ... rarely using them but but not coming up against them.

Any little micro-tactics that can be used to our advantage this window should be getting looked at.... In addition of course to getting our regular 18 or so sorted and bolstered.

Jeremie Frimpong and Rydo1888* like this.
  16. green-yin

We have 10 league games before we play the huns again, just had a look at our fixtures and the trickiest is probably killie and livi away on their * plastic pitches. Can honestly see us picking up the full 30 points.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  17. TheHappyLoss

We definitely have better players but matching their fire seems to be a huge problem. I voted no but I think I'm just still depressed

Sydneysider likes this.
  18. leeso-ardoyne

70/30 in our favor! Few weeks to cool down from that result and it'll be back to 100% to us and thinking what in the name of good * was I thinking of them horrible * getting a sniff at it!

19. Cupid Stunt

We 100% have the better players, but we also seem to suffer from fatigue and injuries a lot more than they do and our squad is pretty bare a lot of the time.

We're only a few weeks on from starting Lewis Morgan up front in a cup final...

We need some fresh faces, extra bit of quality and a burst of energy or we'll be staggering over the finish line and it'll be tight.

Few decent signings this month I'll be 90% confident we'll win the league, no signings of any real quality and I'll be 50/50.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I agree with a fair bit of that,however do we struggle from faitgue and injuries a lot more than them (or do we just notice it more)?. How deep is their squad ? It was obviously deep enough on Sunday, however folk saying they "can't see them dropping any points in the next 10" are the same saying they wouldn't drop points in December except against us. They also conveniently forget we won 10 games in a row before the weekend. I agree we need to strengthen though.

Lilac Wine likes this.