1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    When a midfield with Steven Davis and Glen Kamara are dominating you that shows it’s not strength that’s the problem in the midfield.

G_portillo likes this.
  2. celtic warrior

Also, McGregor needs to drop the whole deep lying midfielder role, he needs to go back to being an attacking midfielder and making those forward runs he was so effective with.

He was a fantastic attacking threat but we seem to have tried to mould him into brown, myself included being a big fan of it at first because does have a good knack of getting a foot in to nick the ball in a tackle. But he's just a far better attacker.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Agree holhearedly He’s a cracking pler but isn’t a defensive mid and currently in that 2 man mid role we need 2 tacklers or it needs changed to a 3

1 dm and 1 cm isn’t cutting it

4. Orsenfelt

I don't think we need a sitting CDM at all, not sitting as deep as Broony does anyway. Most teams don't play two strikers or #10s and Jullien/Ajer aren't bombscares, we don't need a third man in permenantly sitting there.

For me a flatter 4-3-3 is ideal, with three industrious midfielders across the middle who move as a unit.

Don't think we have the squad for it at the minute though, Broony obviously our most capable defensively but doesn't have the legs to do the pressing. Without him we look toothless, with him we leave gaps and are open to getting pressed ourselves far too easily.

I'd love to believe McGregor/Christie/Ntcham could do it but realistically we need a battler in there to drag them about when required and dig in when required.

Ajer could in theory fit the bill but then we'd need a new centreback.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Just vary it now and then we have the personnel..

6. Trequartista

Lennon mentioned in his post match conference about us standing off the Huns and it would obviously hint to the players not acting out that tactic. If we were to use the high press then it would obviously give us the platform to play our football. You really need the players that are willing to put in the hard yards and press collectively and we don’t have that, not at the moment anyway.

If we were to adopt a front 3 instead of 3 behind a striker, it would certainly help us to keep the opposition deeper especially from their goalkicks and/or free kicks from deep in their half.

With our current set-up, I feel that we are severely limited with Boli’s lack of attacking play both output and positionally. Whenever we attack, Frimpong or El-Hamed are always up with play and part of our attack whereas Boli is always loitering around closer to the centre halves line. It always means that when the ball is shifted to the left, the attack breaks down or allows opposition to get themselves back into shape. It’s almost as if we’ve ended up with the opposite of what we had last season with a dynamic Tierney and static Lustig.

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    so what difference do you feel that Mcgregor would have brought over Brown yesterday?

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’ve already said.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    not saying it cant work, but Davis isnt exactly the quickest at covering ground? From where he is playing atm, i dont see why he cant show more often for the ball, and for us to miss brown, yet it never happens?

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Because Davis is better than Brown at passing so when he’s pressed he can open up play to others in space.

When Brown ran the show against them under Rodgers he beat the press because they couldn’t handle his movement and when he was pressed he could get away from them with a burst of speed.

That burst has gone and why our midfield is so deep to try and cover for him. By the time we try to play out we’re already swarmed which results in us hoofing it up the park to no one and them winning the ball, giving it to Davis and him feeding it forward to put the pressure on again.

11. joemc

Also want to say the tactics they used on us isn't new , they used this under murty , the difference is they have better players who are well drilled and 100 x more determined , we have gotten the better of this system before , you have to take your chances and get in front , we had that chance and it never worked out , we really need to match that desire they have .

12. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, definitely. It's as though he's being groomed as our next Captain, and is trying to be moulded into another Scott Brown. It's possible McGregor could be our captain, but he'll never be our next Scott Brown. I can't help thinking our lack of genuine physicality across the park, along with what currently appears to be a lack of hunger, is our biggest risk this season.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We need to fight fire with fire. We have superior players so match up to them, win the early battles and earn the right to play.

Once we are ahead and they are demoralised then bring on players like Johnston etc...

14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Just .ucking WIN with passion,fire and belief,so lacking in those vital ingredients in the last two matches.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Then why does Brown complete more passes successfully?

16. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Davis has a better range of passes, browns are safe side to side and back

Valhalla likes this.
  17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Because they’re doing two different jobs.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We arent physical enough. I'm desperate for us to sign a physical defensive midfielder to shield the back 4.

I'll probably post something more in depth in here when I'm not still reeling but I dont feel we need a completely tactical overhaul.

The last 2 games against them however have shown that theres an issue there which lies away from fitness etc.

They want it so much this season and despite the fact our players have miles more experience in winning trophies, as I posted elsewhere, their sheer hunger could out match us.

Majority of this squad have been involved in a proper title fight either. That needs to be remembered...for most this is a completely new situation to have a team genuinely competing. The Aberdeen challenges were always going to falter. This is different.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thought someone would bring this myth up, you haven't watched him closely enough this season if you think that.

Doing different jobs doesn't make Davis a better passer.

20. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    fair point. As long as we dont go out and play that way and get dominated against them again, im open to trying whatever different idea might work