1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Pretty much sums up my feelings on it too, I like the pyro and the atmosphere it brings but if it's gonna cause so much * they need to drop it, there are better (and more important) issues to make a stand over. I do like the GB and what they bring to matchdays but they are * in the wind with the pyro issue imo.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    This is about more than pyro imo, and you have * going on about fines whilst the * in charge pockets over £3 million. That’s whilst he’s overseen the failure to reach Europe’s premier tournament 2 years running. Aye but * the GB eh!

3. Jeremie Frimpong

The board's hypocrisy and incompetence at times does not give the Green Brigade carte blanche to run up fines.

Both parties have been guilty of acting recklessly, and hurting the club's finances.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    How can it be 500,000 when the fines are usually about 10 or 12 grand each?

What's the actual figure...

5. Jeremie Frimpong

Why do supporters have to be on one side or the other?

Both the board and the Green Brigade have been guilty of squandering the money that supporters have invested in the club. Neither party can be excused by pointing to the other's recklessness.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    FranceCelt, Pogues and Colin Robinson like this.
  6. Ryan19

£12,700 - chant (up the ra in Celtic Symphony) - Rennes (h) 2011
    £21,000 - Banner (* uefa)/pyro - udinese (a) 2011
    £4,200 - Pyro (bangers) - clifonville (h) 2013
    £42,189 - Bobby Sands banner - Milan (h) 2013
    £16,000 - Palestine flegs - Rejkjavik (h) 2014
    £7,400 - pyro/fighting polis - Dinamo Zagreb (a) 2014
    £3,650 - pyro - Inter (a) 2015
    £8,600 - Palestine flegs - Be’er sheva (h) 2016
    £16,000 - pyro/disorder - Man City (a) 2016
    £20,500 - banners - linfield (h) 2017
    £11,000 - pyro - aik (a) 2019
    £10,400 - pyro - cluj (h) 2019
    £12,800 - banner/chant - lazio (h) 2019

Eazey, Gyp Rosetti and Marty McFly like this.
  7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Just look through the comments in this thread, there’s plenty who are loving this. And I don’t need to back the GB to show my disdain for our current custodians.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Storm in a tea cup again. The Ultras are raging, the board are raging, fans outside the GB all have varying opinions. We are a massive football club and among the biggest in the world. We went through the early 90s with very little or no say until around 1994 and Celts for change. That was for the better and with hindsight was the turning tide in making Celtic the most successful club on and off the pitch.
    Even when Fergus was making decisions for the better there was objections within the support and one that springs to mind is the 3 Amigos and he was right. He wanted to take the irishness out of the club by banning fans who sang the Rebs and changing the club crest. So much discontent at this issue it was shelved. Our support was one step ahead of every other support in the U.K. and Ireland in that we did have strength in numbers and the clubs hierarchy knew they had to listen.
    We were the first club with Ultras in the continental sense and is funny because we abhorred the casual culture of the 80s and had a very small band.
    Through time the organisation of the fans in 2006 was the obvious evolving of our support and the course of Politics had also changed with peace in the six counties. After a split in the original Jungle Bhoys into the Green Brigade and now with Bhoys Celtic, and expect further groups, we live in a time that our fans can mobilise and organise very quickly. The association of supporters clubs in Scotland and Ireland have a lot of credit due for the issues that are addressed and are great buffers between board and Ultra groups. Ticket allocation, travel arrangements, safe standing and any other issues these guys were the forefathers of the Green Brigade or any other group.
    The board in my opinion have to play by ear and take each situation as it comes and though lacking in openness with fan groups there has been give and take. I think we are run very well and i enjoy the fact most clubs in Britain and Ireland would give their right arm to have a board and support like ours. At the minute they are at loggerheads and the media have no * to throw in our direction and so are playing this up as exclusive crisis at CP, when it’s anything but. This happens between club directors and fan groups all over Europe and world football. The fans will continue to push and the board will stand firm. Remember they now see it as a successful business. We see it as our successful club.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The fact we got done for chanting up the ra at home to Rennes but never got anything for chanting at home to Linfield tells me what I already thought....and that's that they pick and choose/are selective in what they can be arsed doing..

Is it coming from our own grassing? Whether it's more noticeable singing the Celtic symphony than broad back brimmer? Is it for bigger game's it's highlighted? Does a uefa nonce sit writing down what's going on in the stands?

Would be interesting to hear how they operate and come to their sanctions and if it's as rigorous across the board..

packybhoy likes this.
  10. Ryan19

All depends on what the match delegate reports which is why its so inaccurate across the board.

11. Jeremie Frimpong

Plenty of people who have defended the Green Brigade's right to political expression in the past, myself included, are just fed up with their *-you-I-won't-do-what-you-tell-me attitude to pyrotechnics.

The prohibition of pyrotechnics in stadia is hardly a civil rights issue; it is perfectly sensible. They have continued to incur significant sanctions for the club because '* you, that's why'.

It shows a blatant disregard, bordering on contempt, for their fellow supporters, who inevitably foot the bill.

The notion that they are entitled to run up fines because the club sells t-shirts with their song lyrics on it, or whatever, is absurd.

(I have criticised the board, to a much great degree, in other threads. This thread is specifically about Celtic supporters.)

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Exactly..

So you've got some fat * sitting in Naples or Istanbul one week night getting fed biscuits and wine all expenses paid saying what chants or pyro..

It definitely doesn't seem like it's quite the same for every club at every match....which is 100% wrong..

Ryan19 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony

And those fellow supporters have been banned by our own board not UEFA, so excuse me for not sticking to the specifics of the thread. As I said I believe this is about more than pyro for Lawwell and Co, why else would he have Lennon say that cost him a player?

Sean Daleer likes this.
  14. Jeremie Frimpong

UEFA are notoriously inconsistent in their application of the rules, although, to be honest, that is a blessing and a curse for us (political expression).

15. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Think we can all agree the * uefa banner was worth it

Spring Time, StPauli1916 and Ryan19 like this.
  16. Jeremie Frimpong

Question the board's decision to pre-empt UEFA's ruling, by all means, but people are entitled to criticise the Green Brigade's recent behaviour.

17. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The fines over 5 years have cost us a player!

how many players have the boards bonuses cost us?

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I never said they weren’t my point is there are certain posters who seem to be enjoying this.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Can only see it as a curse..

Can barely fart and we've got another sanction..

I'm no having it that we're far 'worse' than Italian, Turkish, Serbian, Dutch, English and plenty more for pyro, violence and politics....yet we're seemingly never missed..

I could be wrong as I said before but it doesn't feel like these countries club's get anywhere near what we're pulled for..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. Jeremie Frimpong

The board is hypocritical. We already knew that.

The Green Brigade have still cost us a significant amount of money. The vast majority of us would defend their right to political expression, particularly when the issues are pertinent, but no one can reasonably defend their use of pyrotechnics.

If someone repeatedly invaded the pitch at European games, incurring UEFA sanctions, just because they got a kick out of it, would any of us question the board's decision to ban them?