1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I was well impressed with him and can hardly believe how much work he does and how successful his passing is. I hope he stays a one club man.

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The boardroom at Celtic Park holds some special memories for Callum McGregor. It was where he sat as an eight-year-old, alongside his parents, and signed his first ever agreement with Celtic, and it was where, last week, he penned a new five-year contract which will see him remain at the club until at least the summer of 2024.

At that point, his thoughts returned to that moment 18 years ago when he first set out on his Celtic journey.

Like every footballer, it has been a long, and sometimes arduous journey, with many highs and lows along the way, but it is testament to McGregor’s character and quality that now, at the age of 26, he is a key player in the Celtic team, having helped to deliver some momentous triumphs to the club. The most recent of those came last Thursday night when Neil Lennon’s side beat Lazio 2-1 in the Stadio Olimpico, to become the first Celtic side to win a competitive match in Italy and, as is so often the case now, McGregor was at the heart of that historic victory.

Speaking exclusively to this week’s Celtic View after signing his new five-year deal, McGregor said: “You’re so busy with the games and everything else that’s going on that it’s hard to take yourself back and reflect on the journey.

“But sitting here in the boardroom takes me right back to 18 years ago when I came in and signed my first contract.

“I came in originally as an eight-year-old kid, and now to be standing here 18 years later, having signed another five-year deal, makes me incredibly proud of what I’ve done and what I’ve achieved.

“I’m also thankful to everybody else around about me who have helped me get to this point, and obviously to the club as well for securing another contract for me.

“The last few years have been brilliant, with so many big games, big goals and trophies, that it’s hard to pick one out.

“It’s so important at this club that you also have to win with a style and that’s probably been the biggest thing over the past three or four seasons, for the club as a whole. We’ve won playing an attractive style of football, entertaining the fans.

“This year we seem to be back to our free-flowing best in terms of goals and everything else, and it’s all about the players now keeping our feet to the floor and going right through.

“With the standard we’ve set over the past few years, it does make it difficult but what’s good about this group is that they never want to rest on what they’ve done before.

“You come back in and see that fresh hunger to go and win everything again, and that’s what you have to do.

“And I think it helps that me, James (Forrest) and Scott (Brown) have done it over the past few seasons. We’ve got that relentlessness that we want to keep going, and anyone who comes in is aware that this is the standard and this is what we have to do – we have to win, we have to win well and we have to win every game.

“That relentlessness and ruthlessness really helps other players. This is the standard and if we go and set it, they will follow. So it’s important to have that group of experienced guys who can drive it.”

Mickmac, Rydo1888* and tarboltontim like this.
  3. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    So happy to hear he's extended his contract. A Celtic man.

4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He, along with Eddy, are the 2 players I fear that are being played too much, hopefully we don't do a LT on them.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Won’t be surprised to see him sold in the future either.

6. Jeremie Frimpong

I have a feeling that he might be away in the summer. I hope that I'm wrong.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Me neither, sadly.

9. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Class.

bagforlife and Rydo1888* like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think he's been in great form this season, part of last he had a dip and looked in need of a rest but he's been quality this season although it's gone under the radar as he's been great before so it's not unexpected now but deserves credit.

12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

The very definition of it.

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think that will heavily be down to him. If he wants to leave the club ill say at the right price.

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lovely touch with the tap.
    Hope he gets a rest soon.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

There is a school of thought to suggest that Callum McGregor is a Celticcaptain in waiting. Had things gone in a different direction this summer, however, he could have taken those leadership qualities elsewhere.

The midfielder was wanted by Brendan Rodgers at Leicester this summer with the Parkhead side spurning the advances of their former manager when he came calling for the Scotland internationalist.

It’s fair to suggest that if circumstances had been different – the rawness of Rodgers’ exit was still fresh in the mind – that it may well have been a straightforward passage. Whatever the complexities of the proposal and how tempted McGregor might have been, the player is not the type for public agitation. Instead he committed himself to a five-year deal with Celtic some weeks back with what’s in front rather than what’s behind occupying the focus of the player.

“I know how good this club’s been to me throughout the years and I was definitely looking to stay,” said McGregor. “So it was just a case of trying to get it done as quickly as possible and getting on with focussing on the football.

“I love this club, so it was great to get it done.

As soon as pre-season starts you’re right into training and then the season comes and you’re playing big games right away, so as a footballer you just concentrate on the football. The club made it clear early on they wanted to keep me, so I was delighted with that and, l like I say, from there it was just about getting it done.”

McGregor was one of a number of players who improved hugely under the tutelage of Rodgers. And the player has acknowledged that he was flattered at the prospect of Rodgers wanting to take him into the English top flight.

“It’s always good to get those kind of compliments, it’s a nice feeling,” said McGregor. “But the club were very keen on me staying, so while what happens is a pat on the back, once the club made their position clear it’s not like I was fighting it or anything.

“I was happy, I wanted to stay.

“To be fair, the English Premier’s probably the best league around, you watch it and the standard’s good and you’d like to test yourself in it, but this is a big, big place to play football too and the European campaign has highlighted that. It’s shown how big we are and how well we’re doing as a group of players.

“I love this club and it’s been very good to me, so you’re not looking to move. I was happy with their stance, so I just got me head down and got on with helping the team.”

Having grown in stature for both Celtic and Scotland, the armband seems like a natural progression for McGregor. It has been passed to him on occasion but long-term it seems increasingly likely that he will sport it.

“For me it’s a wee bit early to be talking about captaincy, but if it happens I’m happy to take it on,” he said. “I feel like I have enough experience within the group to use my voice. If it’s a natural progression, then that’d be great.

“It’s nice to have that experience. For me, it’s always just about enjoying my football and helping the team. I’m always trying to learn from guys like Broony so, again, it’s a nice pat on the back that when he goes off people look to you to be the next leader.

“He sets an unbelievable standard and for me it’s about learning from that every day. His example to the group is really excellent

Celtic’s midweek win over Rennes on Thursday evening in the Europa League guarantees the club top spot in Group E regardless of what happens in their final game in Romania against Cluj.

The manner of a campaign in which Celtic have so far taken 13 points from a possible 15 has been impressive. The knockout stages will present a more acute challenge when the games come round in February but McGregor is keen to sustain that exposure.

“It’s important for us to make big strides in Europe, to go one better than we did last time,” he said. “We’ve topped the group, we’re happy with that and now we look forward to finishing it off against Cluj then looking beyond.

“Results have been great, performances have been great, plus we’ve taken a lot from previous campaigns as well - so it feels like it’s all coming together.

“There’s still enough youth in the team, but at the same time we’re more experienced, we’re playing exciting football and we can manage parts of games better. Like, when we went to Lazio, went behind, weathered the storm and ended up getting the winner at the end.”

Leigh Griffiths got the biggest roar of the night when he appeared for the final ten minutes of Thursday night’s win with McGregor optimistic that the striker can get himself back to first-team level.

“It was good to see him on the pitch again against Rennes. He looked that wee bit sharper than at the weekend, so we’re delighted to see him back and we’re looking for him to keep getting minutes

16. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good interview.

17. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    It does sound like he has ambitions to play in the premier league but at the same time loves the club and wouldn't do a Dembele and spit the dummy out.

I wrote him off earlier in his career at celtic especially when he missed that chance away to monchengladbach but what a player he has turned out to be. He needs to sit a few games out here and there to get a proper rest as he does play too many games over a season.

Definitely captain material in future for the way he leads by example and puts in such consistent performances. Should be Scotland captain but there's no way Clarke would rock the boat and take it off Robertson

18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally agree, don't want to do a KT on him.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CM: "We’ve been on a good run so to continue that and get three points at home is important. It was nice to get the late winner and take us into the weekend.”

CM: "Once they scored, panic stations set in and thankfully we got the winner and another big win to add on top of what we’ve already been doing. It’s been grea

CM: "The league’s completely separate to cup finals and it’s a one-off game. Form and everything else goes out the window. What happens on the day, is the team that plays best wins.”

CM: "We have 11 wins in a row, so it’s important we take that confidence into the game and prepare properly. The most important thing is, you turn up on the day and earn the right to win the game and that’s what we want to do.”

CM: "The template we’ve worked from is the reason why we’ve been so successful the last few years. Every game is the most important because it’s the next one.

CM: "It’s a cup final, we have to prepare properly, go in with confidence and respect the opponent. We have to perform.”

CM: "I feel good. The more games I play, I feel I’m getting fitter. The more experience you can get on the pitch always helps you. I feel fresh, I feel hungry and I’m looking forward to the game.

tarboltontim likes this.
  20. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Mature and measured. The man speaks well.

Rydo1888* likes this.