1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nir Bitton

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Aug 28, 2013.

Discuss Nir Bitton in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think he's better at cb than in midfield. His height and use of the ball are his biggest assets, and against SPFL opposition when we don't do as much defending, quick diagonal balls from the back and having centre backs that can bring the ball forward are crucial.

McChiellini.. and Dan Breen like this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

His long-passing is excellent but doing that from CB with an air surprise is different than doing it from CM when you've already taken a few touches and it's obvious that you're playing it out wide.

His composure and taking his time at CB can be a benefit as it draws the opposition out but at CM it's almost always a hindrance, unless as @Dan Breen says above, we're trying to see a difficult game out.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Depends on how we use him mate, for instance, a midfield of:

Bitton Christie

Rogic​

I would have zero qualms with, the energy and running of Christie and Rogic’s movement suits him to a tee. McGregor in that as well, I’m happy.

Broony or Ntcham sitting deeper I’m not. Infact, I’m pretty much unhappy with Ntcham as the deeper sitting option but wouldn’t mind seeing it next to a McGregor or Christie. Those two I’m happy with in either position as well.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It depends on the opposition but if it's a domestic home game where we are likely to have the lion's share of possession and the opposition are going to lie deep then I wouldn't play him anywhere other than CB, unless it was an absolute necessity.

5. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    My point about him playing with Brown has nothing to do with Dunfermline. Him and Brown in a 2 just doesn't work.

Theres nothing strange about it. This is why the slow and undecisive Bitton idea is a myth, if hes played with the right players beside him in the middle. In a 2, he just needs someone prepared to carry it from deep because that's what he doesnt offer. Also he was not slow and undecisive when he played with Ntcham and Hendo on trophy day was he? He was excellent and thats the last time he started in a midfield that suited him.

Im not saying he should be getting accommodated into the midfield. But hes getting a raw deal with people basing their perceptions of what he can still bring to the middle based on playing in a 2 with Brown or in a 4-4-2 with isolated strikers and no no.10 v Dunfermline

Its a poor game to judge him on. We played an unfamiliar formation that resembled a 4-4-2 for 45 mins so we wouldn't have been getting it forward under normal circumstances. Without a number 10 to link the play or the wide men pushed up that wee bit further. Especially against the 2 banks of 5 it left Griff and Eddy a bit isolated. He then played at centre half for the last 45 of the 120 after Ajer got Injured.

Personally Id rest Ajer and play him beside Jullien tonight if Rogic is fit to play with Christie and Ntcham.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's a game of opinions @WolfOfParkhead, I agree that him in with Broony absolutely doesn't work, we seen that enough under Deila but other than if it's a complete necessity then I wouldn't have him in any of CM positions for a game like tonight. For me it doesn't play to his strengths.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    @Seán Mac D can’t judge anything on Ronny’s team IMO mate.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't rate him much as a centre mid now..

Too slow across the ground. Get's skinned too much in that position in the 6 for example and will regularly do the old Stefan Johnansen please give me a booking trip. Also likes hitting row z with his shots..

He's been a surprise at the back. Actually thought he'd be * there but the more he plays it...the better he seems. Has more time on the ball to build from the back. His pace isn't as exposed. Good in the air. Nice and composed when he plays it.....no bad anyway for a backup there..

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not exclusively that period Dev. Lennon played them alongside each other in his first game back at Tynecastle and it was turgid against 10 men for a good part of the game.

Then he played it again v Aberdeen at home in a 0-0 draw where we again struggled.

It doesn't work. We need our CMs to break the lines, drag players out of position and make forward, incisive passes. Playing both completely stagnates our play.

If you're an opposition manager intent on sitting in to steal a point it is exactly the pairing you want to see in there. If you can mark the wide men, the no.10 and the striker then you're halfway there.

Liam Scales and McChiellini.. like this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, agreed mate.
    But then again, Brendan Rodgers played him there the first 5-0 game against the Huns. If there’s runners, and we can make space in midfield, I’m happy with him there.

He’d be very good next to Christie I think.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....

Aye the only real chance at home to the sheep was an Ajer run where Lewis saved well first half..

Didn't create fuckall really against the diets that I remember. A counter from their set piece and a last minute cross. To be fair Broony made that and when we're struggling....does step up and go forward trying to make thing's happen..

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I've always thought he isn't a defender considering his main talent is creativity and having time on the ball but once again thought the big man was calmness personified when he came on considering the ferocity of the game at that stage.

Rydo1888* and paulmcq1888 like this.
  13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, he does bring a calmness to games, perfect guy to bring on in a game like last night, experienced head.

Rydo1888* and paulmcq1888 like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Need to get that new deal for him sorted soon.

BURNLEY are lining up a £1million January move for Celtic star Nir Bitton.

Clarets gaffer Sean Dyche wants to land the versatile Israeli on a cut-price deal.

Bitton’s Hoops contract runs out this summer, but boss Neil Lennon is keen to keep him.

Lennon is a big fan of Bitton, who came on as a sub in the stunning Europa League win over Lazio.

He has played in central defence and midfield this term and is viewed as a key squad member.

Lennon spoke recently about offering Bitton a new deal to stay beyond the end of the current campaign.

He said: “Nir has been superb for us, but obviously we know about his contract situation.

“That’s something we’ll be looking to change as we go along. Hopefully we can get it sorted soon.”

Bitton, 28, has also expressed a desire to stay at Parkhead, but conceded his future is uncertain.

He said: “Every season is important but for me, this season is important because I finish my contract at the end of it.

“I obviously want to stay at Celtic for as long as I can.

“But it’s football so you never know what’s going to happen tomorrow, so we’ll see.”

Burnley are ready to make their move for Bitton after being impressed with his displays for club and country.

Dyche wants him in January to boost his options in a number of different positions at Turf Moor.

Bitton could compete with Jack Cork and Ashley Westwood in midfield and also offer cover at the back.

Clarets boss Dyche is looking to bolster his squad and the Israeli fits comfortably into his wage structure.

Bitton signed for Celtic from Ashdod in 2013 and has won 13 major honours in Scotland so far.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Think a new contract is a no brainer really.

Burnley can shove their pocket change up their hoop.

16. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hopefully we're well advanced in contract negotiations and get him on a new deal soon.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    £1m wouldn't buy his left foot.

Far better player than some rate him.

Slaw, Lilac Wine, Lewis Kerr and 5 others like this.
  18. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He took a time to convince me but now I'm generally happy to see him on the team sheet.

19. pop47

:rofl: £1m

Silly * think they're dealing with the huns here.

20. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    They can * right off for starters.

A mil, who's kidding *' who.