1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    NFL...a * hero... fast becoming a legend

Mickmac likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The comparisons get boring, first to admit it but he is clearly more streetwise than the weasel.

Could understand the logic in refusing to completely throw away your principles against bigger teams but we’re only ever going to get points on the road and beat the likes of Lazio in Europe by adapting appropriately.

We would not be sitting top of this Europa group under the weasel. Without a doubt.

3. Cupid Stunt

I didn't think he got enough out of the team in the first half or early in the second, but his changes completely swung the game in our favour.

We looked like we had given up before he brought Rogic on and matched us up with their formation.

Would like to see him make changes earlier domestically now, his subs in the league at times have been quite frustrating but in Europe it's a different story.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Already a legend in my eyes.

The sacrifices he has made to play, captain and manage Celtic are arguably more than any other individual in our history.

Guys like Peacock and Stein may have made great personal sacrifices coming from their backgrounds to represent Celtic but neither had to go through half of the carry-on that Lennon has.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I enjoy the comparisons, I think every manager taking over a successful team that has the bulk of the squad needs to learn and adapt from the previous man before him.

And that’s what I love about Lennon, he’s constantly learning, adapting and striving to improve. He does that while grounded in his fundamental belief of playing good football.

6. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Agreed. I think comparisons can help us learn as a club too. Sure Brendan played a style that is more modern. But I think Lenny is more about get the job done, it doesn't always have to be pretty either. That being said, you look at our defence last night. Not a single Rodgers signing in that backline and we look far stronger at the back than anything I can recall under Rodgers. In fact, now I think about it, only eduoard and Hayes came from signings under Rodgers?

7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    He seen we were losing it in the middle and needed ti tighten up and support Eduoard and by bringing rogic on did exactly that.
    We went back on top when he came on and eddie sprung more into life with that extra support.

Excellent tactical change.
    Excellent by Neil Lennon
    And
    * that Rodgers the rat.

That is how winning in europe looks like.
    That is how to manage and adapt a team.

Neil Lennon..
    Finishing what he started

Here we go 10IAR

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Said it before but there is no way the rat and Congerton would have entertained a 28 year old Israeli RB with a single cap that was plying his trade in Israel, yet he has came in and significantly strengthened our back-line.

When it clicked under the rat, it looked good eg. Anderlecht. But the issue was that reaching that performance took a lot of sore defeats and the players that had learned from those experiences then move to a different club and the process starts all over again.

I much favour a more pragmatic approach, bar the last 15 minutes against Cluj in the UCL qualifier we have been outstanding in Europe.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  9. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    BR really struggled tactically in Europe, never seemed to get it right. I think NL understands our tactics a lot better in Europe than BR ever did

Mickmac likes this.
  10. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Already a legend mate

11. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Fast becoming one? He’s been a legendary figure of the club for years now in my eyes.

Player, captain, coach to a very successful Celtic manager, along with the * he’s had to endure since the very first day he joined the club. He’s played a significant part in the successes of the last two decades basically.

A massive hero of mine, I * love him.

12. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Agreed 100%.................

Doogs. likes this.
  13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Definition of insanity, doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

He seen that and made a formation and tactical change, fortune favoured the brave and we got a result.

Yes The goals and the big mans save got the headlines, however for me this is one of Lennys finest moments.....
    I salute you sir!

16. Markybhoy

Rodgers was too married to his principles. Setting up the team to play the same way against PSG that we play domestically was suicide. Even when we suffered heavy defeats he still refused to change. Neil Lennon is more pragmatic than that and I think we are reaping the benefits of that now.

17. freitassen

Possibly the worst player yesterday did better than the best player in every game in Europe at the time of the rat

kramer1 likes this.
  18. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I noticed that when Bitton came on, he held up three fingers to the defence.

I turned to my dad and said that Lennon has gone for three at the back. We matched Lazio's formation. You could tell then that Lennon wasn't settling for the point. After we scored I would've bitten your hand off for the draw.

The gamble paid off and I was delighted that Lennon went for it. He knows that we're gonna have to take risks in the group stage, especially at home to maximise our points. I'd much rather going out swinging than going out with a whimper, too scared to try things.

Credit to the big man.

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    There was a lot of scepticism from a lot of fans when NL was reappointed, maybe somewhat understandably due to his last season in charge of Hibs and the NL maybe isnt as high profile as some of the names being speculated on such as Rafa Benitez.

But one thing that has never been in doubt is that Neil Lennon is a winner and has a winners mentality and ther is now a marked shift in our mentality in european games. He should also get credit for the more direct and attacking style of football he has us playingz I feel like a year ago we might have crumbled at 1 down to a very capable Lazio side, and although at times we never played to what we are capable of, we persevered.

Hibs and Livi were disappointing, but I hope that we can put a few wins together domestically between now and the winter break and a win against the zombies at Ibrox will hopefully leave us in a strong position going into the new year.

Mickmac likes this.
  20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Agree with everything mate however we're at home to the orcs in December!!:50:

Ps- I wasn't sceptical.:67:

G_portillo, Mickmac and StPauli1916 like this.