1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There are aspects where the rat is superior and there are other aspects where Lennon is superior.

Rat: Player development, in-game management, attention to detail eg. individual opponent profiling

Lennon: Transfers, man-management, loyalty.

For all that the rat is a begrudgingly good manager the football during the last 18 months of his tenure was really stale. Even though it's very early doors yet, the football on offer - bar a few games - has been far more entertaining.

Overall he probably is the better manager but he's not as good as he thinks he is; Lennon outsmarted him a few times with Hibs on a fraction of our budget. Edouard's game has went onto another dimension under Lennon and Ntcham is also now back playing for the team.

If push came to shove and Lennon had to sacrifice damage to his own reputation, career or pride to the benefit of Celtic, he would do it without question. The rat? Not a chance.

2. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    De
    Depends what you're looking for. Watching Celtic under BR after the first season was frustrating at times and at times even boring. I think he was actually being found out in his last season and I'm not convinced we would have won the treble if he had stayed given the tough run-in we had.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We came back from the winter break in great form. We handed out a few pumpings and got that crucial win away at Killie. I have no doubt that we'd have won the treble treble if Rodgers had stayed. Even in his second season when we weren't great a lot of the time, we still won those big cup games fairly comfortably.

4. scootz

I'm a fairly upbeat guy, but I didn't share your confidence Officer D.

I thought we were playing REALLY turgid fitba in the last few months of BR's reign and that the TT was no cert.

stubhoy07, jocksteinupper and Mickmac like this.
  5. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We weren't in great form. We beat mostly teams in the bottom 6 by 1 or 2 goals playing mostly quite poor football. We still had to go to Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and play them twice as well as go to Hibs in the Cup then play Aberdeen and Hearts. I'm not saying we wouldn't have, just saying there was still a long way to go and I don't think we were playing well.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We did have a relatively fortuitous run of games after the winter break but we did look a lot better with the loan signings.

There's a strong argument to say we would've still won the Treble Treble as when it mattered he always delivered but there is an argument against too.

The Scottish Cup Quarter Final v Hibs on the weekend he left was no shoe-in. He had failed to win at Easter Road in 3 visits (2 defeats, 1 draw) including a game that we could've won the league.

charlietully and Mickmac like this.
  7. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've looked back and the results were actually better than I remembered but 5 of 7 games were at home and 5 were against bottom 6 teams. I still think we had a very tough run-in and the TT was no certainty.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Some people have no doubts that cunto would have got us over the line....I have plenty but we'll never know as he couldn't wait to * off and leave us in a shambles behind the scenes. Not guaranteed he would have won cup game at Easter Road for starters. What we do know is Neil did get us over the line. This has been done to death lads!!!

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It’s a redundant discussion now. He left, Lennon stepped up and got it done. Need to focus on getting our top spot back now.

10. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Sorry Jock. I'm quite new on here so might go over old ground. Just * me off when people criticise Lennon and talk as though BR (cunto) could do no wrong.

stubhoy07 and jocksteinupper like this.
  11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    PMSL Doofy trying to rewrite history to fit his anti-Lennon agenda. Embarrassing.

stubhoy07 likes this.
  12. Murph-E

Lol it was 7 league wins in a row after the break before he left, scoring 19 and conceding 1, six clean sheets. How is that rewriting history?

13. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Eh I take it you didnt read MickMac's quote.

14. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Sorry Moravcik - I did correct myself - the results were good but they were against mostly weak opposition (5 of 7 played) and mostly at home (5 of 7) and I didn't think the football we were playing at the time was particularly good. We had a lot of tough games to come just as BR left starting with Hibs and Hearts away and my point was that I'm not convinced we would have won the TT under BR but who knows.

15. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I wasn't having a go mate if you took it that way...and new or not you're as entitled to your view as the next guy, whatever that is!!! Be boring as * if we all agreed and we certainly don't on here!!:56:

paulie67, Mickmac and moravcik1888 like this.
  16. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    :50:

Mickmac likes this.
  17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We came back from the winter break and won 3-0, 4-0, 3-0, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, 5-0, 1-0, and 4-1 domestically. We scored 26 and conceded 1 in 9 games. We got knocked out of the Europa League in that period, albeit our away performance at Valencia was very good.

So aye, that domestic form is literally a perfect example of being in great form. Only one * embarrassing themselves.

18. SuperZidane

I agree that it's a redundant discussion - although I would say that Lennon just about got it done with some woeful performances along the way.

I admit that I didn't want Lennon to get the job but he did and I have been pleasantly surprised for the most part.

However, we have had a lot of easy matches and TBH - I couldn't believe the tactics that Gerrard used against us (unlike last year) - we played well but the Huns were **** if you're frank.

The performance against Cluj in the ECL was **** - Lennon completely got it wrong and then (admittedly the only time this season) he blamed everyone but himself (par for the course when he was here the first time).

I don't rate Lennon very highly tactically - against Hibs + Livingstone (a truly awful performance) - we kept the same shape which wasn't working and made stupid substitutions.

There are too many people here willing to make excuses - bad pitch, red card etc etc - the fact is that, when the league is tight between us + them, it's grinding out results in matches like this that determines where the title goes.

If people are willing to face facts - they have improved over the last 12 - 18 months and we have not. They are currently better at grinding out results than us - if that doesn't change - the league will not be won or lost at Ibrox - it will be at places like Hamilton and Livingstone.

There is no point in panicking but if people can't see that this team has problems (and the management a lack of tactical smarts) after the performances at Livingstone, Hibs and Hamilton - I think they are watching through Rose coloured glasses.

If we don't get our act together, we could be 7 or 8 points behind at the turn of the year.

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    We have improved.

20. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We're playing better at this stage this year than we were at this stage last year. We're playing better football (certainly better to watch) and we have more points in the league and EL and in LC semi. We were going backwards under BR and NL has got us back on track. We've had a harder start to the season than them and will catch up and overtake them in the next 1-2 months. They've struggled in all their away games except 1 (and even that was 0-0 at HT) and were very lucky to beat Livie in the LC. I'm not wearing rose tinted specs, I'm just looking at the facts and using my eyes. I think some can only see NL through * tinted specs and I don't really understand why.

Whoflungdung and StPauli1916 like this.