1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carers Advice

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Goggzy60, Sep 21, 2019.

Discuss Carers Advice in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Goggzy60

If this is wrong place please can someone move it. I was wondering if anyone in here is/has a family member as a carer. Just wanting some advice in everything I can do to make things easier. Already in process of getting the house ready for the wife getting home. Is there any help I can get from councils etc. Or great places to buy adapted equipment.

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Your local council's Welfare Rights team should be able to highlight help you can get. Or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Wont pry on the circumstances but a claim for your wife for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) would be a good step to make, it's non-means tested so isn't impacted by household earnings etc.

3. Goggzy60

Yeah applied for that and Employment Support Allowance for her as she won't be earning a penny otherwise hopefully hear back from them soon. It's ok dude she had a stroke but there's no bleeding or clotting that caused it so they don't know what will/won't come back. Thanks for the advice I'll need to call Welfare Monday as I don't want to buy any adapted stuff (apart from rails) that won't be fit for purpose.

Marty McFly likes this.
  4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

This will maybe be of use to you and your wife, there is a helpline as well - Call our Freephone Advice Line on 0808 801 0899.

https://www.chss.org.uk/advice-line-nurses/

https://www.chss.org.uk/stroke-information-and-support/

Goodluck to you both.

Marty McFly and buchanbhoy like this.
  5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Council should put you in touch with social work or otherwise, it's usually down this route they then involve Occupational Therapists from NHS for adaptations and aids etc. Get whatever you can out of whoever you can.

Might be different where you are but in Dundee the Health & Social Care Partnership is a pretty successful at joined up working. :50:

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  6. seanm

also get your doctor to send up relevant info to pip esa it helps a lot if you have a good doctor they will give you a copy saying how your partner illness affects her daily duties cooking cleaning walking etc.be very indepth with forms ie dont say your partner can do anything and if you do tick it varies and she needs your help cooking cleaning toilet medicatiob walking going put meeting others etc use both mental and physical effects on your partner. you have to lie to play their game unfortunately. and anything she says she can do follow that up with but it hurts and causes her pain etc. never answer their questions with a straight yes or no always elaborate to show even little tasks hurt or are painful or make her out of breath and upset. photocopy your forms and take them with you if your asked to go to an assessment etc.its easier to read back fro your form as they as a lot of repetative questions which you might forget what you answered.hope things will be ok for you both. any thing regardind forms and home adaptions give me a message and i will help .HH

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Nasser

As people have said you should have or be getting a housing adaptations officer and physio that will write reports on what your needs are.

You should be able to get help with some funds. I found that some charities were not helpful and basically wanted every bank statement I ever had and 20 pages of forms to fill out. I did get some help from the local Rotary club, I had a friend who knew someone in the Rotary club, they often have shed loads of money and are crap at spending it on the right people, so don't be scared to ring them up (it's basically what they are there for) people forget that because these groups spend their money on pointless *.

Adaptations can cost a lot, even basic wheelchair must need accessories can cost upwards of £500 and adaptions on baths/bathrooms can also cost huge amounts so don't be spending thousands yourself when there are rich charities who should be helping you.

Marty McFly and seanm like this.
  8. Goggzy60

Ok we got a letter today from P.I.P. they denied my wife's claim without assessing her. Is it worth appealing the decision since she wasn't assessed.

Also it's stupid as it doesn't give a reason for her being denied. It can't be savings as that's all in my name and being spent currently on upgrading the house and current living expenses.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Of course man, appeal the * out that.

Marty McFly and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You have to do a Mandatory Reconsideration first mate. The appeal comes after that and it usually involves a tribunal where they are sneaky as * so. Also, PIP is not means tested, household earnings doesn't matter.

Speak to local Citizens Advice or Welfare Rights at your council for help. They know the words to say and what to point out for in terms of the points you will need. They can also represent at tribunals too which is a massive help.

Worth looking at these mate, the descriptors about how she would be awarded points. Remember it isn't about what support she receives, but what she "needs"

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Personal-Independence-Payment-Test/What-is-the-PIP-test

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1_0vW3XCAeqXtDbu7FHJxt&cshid=1572703018078

bagforlife and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. Goggzy60

The only things she can do on the list is wash herself and go to the toilet which they know.

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Basically you have to go to town about the activities that she needs help with.

For example, feeding yourself. You need to give a thorough explanation as to why she couldn't sit at a table and eat with a knife and work with no assistance. You need to explain why someone is unable to safely eat alone and isn't able to cut food into small bits to chew etc. That's just an example.

They want war and peace reasons and often require a lot of detail.

It's common for applications to be denied without an assessment. I think it is to deter time wasters tbh. That's why the appeal process requires an MR first and then the appeal itself if that's not successful. Keep fighting for it and get as much detail as you can across. Even if someone is a paraplegic they will still want it explained to them WHY they can't walk. Honestly.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  13. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Mate if you've told them she can go to the toilet and wash on her own then you won't gain many points on any other descriptors unless she's blind which I don't thi k she is. That's going from my experience as doing loads of dla and pip applications.
    Anything you need help with pm me or sign up to the Benefits and work website. Its about 16 quid for the year and covers everything you will need to know about claiming benefits.
    They explain everything and I mean everything in a way that's easy to understand.
    Edit. If you think you may have meesed up the forms and not explained how her problems effect her just scrap it and start a fresh claim. It will be treated as that and is sometimes quicker than a mandatory reconsideration.
    Remember they don't give a * if you've hemorrhoids or hemorrhages, it's how they effect your daily day to day living.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Marty McFly likes this.
  14. Goggzy60

Wife has had another stroke. This one seems to have completely paralysed her, has anyone here dealt with ICASS everyone I have found who have say there *.

15. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Can't help you out mate but I'm praying for you & your wife.