1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Thought his passing was inconsistent first half but his energy is invaluable. Constantly working defensively and offensively.

Artorias and Hammy89 like this.
  3. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He's a real athlete and great to watch.

Artorias likes this.
  4. apevrak

MOM for me. You could see the Rennes midfield struggle to keep up with him.

MagicBallBhoy and Artorias like this.
  5. Momo Sylla

Worst part is he's one of the allegedly "reasonable" huns. Grew up with him so no much choice lol.

6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thought he played well. Scored a penalty and should have got one too. He will have to keep performing because he is playing in the position Tam Rogic will be looking to take now he is fit. Although Christie is far more a Neil Lennon type of player with his energy and he often help out defensively.

7. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    This isn't a dig or anything like that but he seemed to constantly have the ball stuck under his feet when trying to play at speed but somehow dig out the right pass/turn. The pitch looked so dry and sticky

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Prefer him as a box to box..

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great composure on the penalty and exemplary work rate, but I wish he took set pieces short, instead of crossing them. Just not good at this thing.

10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Why did he take the penalty? It was perfect but I thought Eddy was our main man and he scored the last he took?

Used to be Christie's positive nature that made him stand out but he's becoming a fully equipped player with skills and vision to go with it.

Artorias likes this.
  11. joemc

Been championing him for a better contract , I'm sure he would be in the 15 to 18k pw bracket , but tbh he is proving 1 of our best players and impresses me more every game , he works so do hard for the team and is a major threat for the team , has the heart of a lion ,fears nothing .

Artorias likes this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fantastic attitude and work rate, there was pressure on that penalty, rattled it in with aplomb.

Hammy89 likes this.
  13. GavCFC1

Christie’s scored two (now three) this season when Eddie’s been on the park. Kalju at home and Motherwell away

Lilac Wine likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's our best penalty taker..

Don't think he's missed one and hasn't looked close to either in truth..

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It was funny when the commentator said 'The Rennes fans are doing their best to distract him.' and the camera swung to Ryan looking up in their direction as if they weren't there then he took the pen like the keeper wasn't there and it wouldn't have mattered if he was.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

No chance he was MOTM tonight. He was caught out a good few times in the 1st half, they could of punished us but big Jullien was solid.

Midfield couldn’t seem to get a hold of it at times. They missed some great opportunities to put players through too.

He’s off to a flier though, in no way a bad game. Just saw someone say it was his best 90 mins.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC spot-kick hero Ryan Christie insisted his side should have had another “stonewall” penalty.

Neil Lennon’s side emerged with a creditable draw against the side sitting second in Ligue 1.

But Christie, who scored his side’s leveller from the spot, looked to be clearly fouled by Joris Gnagnon early in the second half.

But Spanish ref Jose Maria Sanchez, who later controversially sent off Vakoun Bayo, waved the claims away, leaving Christie puzzled.

He said: “I thought it was a stonewaller so there’s a sense of frustration.

“I don’t envy the referee his job, especially in that atmosphere where the fans are shouting for every decision.

“It was a strange one. At the time I looked back and I expected to see the referee giving it. I was shocked when he didn’t.

“If it’s not a penalty then he had to book me but he awarded a throw-in, so it didn’t make much sense.

“I was beginning to question myself but I saw it again in the changing room after the game and it’s a definite penalty.

“It was a relief when we got James’ one to even it up. It was maybe what it was going to take to break the deadlock for us and it was a relief to come away with a point.”

Sub Bayo was booked twice after coming on as a late sub — but Christie said the ref was influenced both by home goalkeeper Edouard Mendy’s histrionics and the howls of the Rennes support.

The Hoops star added: “I thought the red card was a bit strange. The incident happened, the referee waved it away and says it’s nothing.

Then he goes to the goalkeeper and decides to show him a second yellow and send him off — but as soon as Bayo’s down the tunnel the goalkeeper is up taking the free-kick straight away with nothing wrong with him.

“I feel for referees because in that kind of atmosphere it must be hard to block all that out — but we’ve got to do it as players.

“In the last ten minutes we felt as though we were walking on eggshells. We felt if we committed any kind of foul we could get a red card.

“So it was difficult but you normally find that playing in this kind of atmosphere.

“It’s maybe part of playing in Europe. The likes of Jonny Hayes’s tackle — there was nothing wrong with it.

Broony got booked for a strong challenge in the first half as well.

“I’m gutted for Bayo. He came on to try to make an impact and hold the ball up for us.

“The first one was a booking but the second one was beyond soft. It’s just Bayo’s game. He’s not reckless but he’s physical and dominant.

“I’m not saying referees get conned but it’s easy to get swayed a little bit by the opposition and the fans.

We had a lot to deal with out there. It was frustration being behind at half-time as it wasn’t like we’d been dominated or cut open.

“We were dealing with them but we were maybe not getting the final pass away. We still felt confident going in to the second half.

“It was nice to get the penalty after what happened and we showed a lot of character.

“The new boys, like Chris Jullien, Hatem Elhamed and Boli Bolingoli, did really well. Overall, we’re very happy with the result. We limited them to very few chances and created a few of our own.

We knew it was going to be difficult, but it’s always going to be difficult away from home in France. But to get a point is fine.

“If we couldn’t get a win, it was important not to lose it in the end.

“We wanted to come here and get something but we knew with how well they’d started domestically that it was going to be difficult to get something.

“At half-time we were a bit frustrated that after we’d sussed them out we hadn’t been able to hurt them. But we’re happy with a point in the end.

“I should’ve done better late on with a chance after we went down to ten men. If I’d taken it with my right foot I might have got a cleaner connection.

That’s maybe something we need to improve on — in the last 15-20 minutes we fell out of it a bit.

“We weren’t keeping the ball as much but with them having a home advantage and a hostile crowd behind them they were always going to be trying to put us under pressure a bit in the later stages.

“We’re all very happy we managed to stand up to that.

“The standard of the teams in this group was underlined by the Cluj result. Everyone can definitely beat each other and it’s going to be hard to progress out of it.

“We’ve got the experience of playing in Cluj and we know how hard it is to go there.

“When that game comes along we’ll have to be at our best but that’s going to be the case in all the games in the group.”

Rydo1888* and Lilac Wine like this.
  18. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Very impressive last night.

19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    With his work rate, he is so vital in European games, could see him rotating domestically with Tam, when Big Tam gets back up to speed.

20. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    * could genuinely win a marathon. * endless amounts of running. He compliments Edouard so much