1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he's playing the same position for Celtic now as he does for Scotland. I think he's a great player but more effective when played further forward. We should play 2 attacking midfielders in domestic games as we've got plenty of options when they're all fit.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you were to see a heat map of where he is on the park you’d notice a massive difference.

He influences games picking the ball up deep with movement ahead of him. It doesn’t happen (and won’t happen) for Scotland under Clarke.

3. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    His position has definitely changed at Celtic. He used to play further forward and score/create more goals. I'm not really arguing I've always thought he was a good player and often fought his corner when he was on the fringes of the team but I prefer him playing further forward.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He’s not in the slightest, he’s being used as a utility man and a lot of time for cover when Robertson ventures forward.

Being so underutilised it’s criminal, he is the only player in the setup with a level of technique to control a game. He should be the lynchpin with the likes of McGinn, McTominay, Christie, Armstrong etc. supporting him, providing the legs, the harrying and movement.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  5. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'm not really that interested in his position for Scotland although I agree he's underutilised. I'm not sure how Scotland got involved in the discussion in the first place. I think he's playing deeper for Celtic than he did in the past and I preferred it when he played further forward in our team as he unlocked defences and scored far more goals himself. If you remember the goal he scored against Zenit - I don't think he'd score that goal now as he doesn't get into those positions. I'm not arguing against McGregor, I think he's a great player but I prefer him further forward.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He was last season, this season he’s got licence to get forward. At various times in his Celtic career he’s played far different roles.

So just depends on what time you were talking about. Round about the Zenit game he was playing left wing a lot.

7. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He's such a good player he can play in different positions effectively I just think he's most effective further forward than he plays now. He's probably playing more box to box at the moment but doesn't get inside the box as much as he used to. The goals he's scored this season have been from the edge of the area - in the past he scored a lot of goals from inside the area.

8. Cringer67

He is such a great player however here lies the irony: Because he is so adaptable in many positions, he is being used as the utility player by managers. Any glaring weakness the team he plays for has, Calmac is being shoe horned into that position to make up the deficiency as best as possible. This is down to his ability. Ergo, he isn't being played to his best strengths for Celtic or Scotland. You only need to see recent matches as proof. Left back anyone??
    I believe his best position for us is further forward. That's not to say he cant play the deep lying role also. He clearly can, but hes better further forward in my opinion. His goals ratio earlier in his career whilst at Notts County and then with us during his first few seasons is testament to this.

Mickmac likes this.
  9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He is gonna score more goals in a more advanced position, doesnt necessarily equate to best for the team he is better than Christie and rogic defensively so if they are playing he will be behind them. Can see him play more advanced in a midfield with brown and ntcham. Just can't see us not playing with Christie or rogic in many games this year

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Utilising him further forward when he needs to play with his back to goal a lot is crippling his greatest strengths for me.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Murph-E

More than doable. 35k a week is only £1.8mil a year. A club with our annual income can afford 20 players on that wage.

paulie67 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  12. Lewis Kerr

I agree with the Paul Scholes comparisons. I prefer Callum as an 8 but if he’s not got someone beside him to do the “dirty work” he can be tame.

Defensively terrible and weak physically, but exceptional technically. We need to utilise him better as do Scotland

13. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don't think he ever played with his back to goal. He could pick a good forward pass to the striker and create more further forward as well as score more. It's more the striker who plays with his back to goal at times.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Always happens to us in the SPFL with whoever plays in the ten, Tom Rogic’s by far the best at it although Christie’s energy is giving him a run for his money this season.

Links between the midfield and striker.

Callum McGregor’s better when he gets turned with the pitch ahead of him, regardless of where he’s playing

Lewis Kerr and PaulM1888 like this.
  15. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Obviously we disagree which is fine. I think he's more effective further forward. At least we can agree he's a great player wherever he plays.

monkeynuts likes this.
  16. dmac

Don't know if the last minute Liecester bid unsettled him as he has been out of sorts a bit in the last few games

17. joemc

Was marked along with broony as the danger today ,as soon as they were on the ball they were tackled ,it stopped us having many attempts on goal ,but we also played too many passes and that didnt help with the scoreline .

18. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Need to remember the amount of football hes played in the last 2 years its pretty much been constant so hes going to have dips in form, I think him and nitcham should be rotated abit more.

StPauli1916 and PorchBhoy67 like this.
  19. Crilly

Think he was good up to 65 minute mark then I think he just looked really tired. Lennon needs to assess this and choose subs to rest players carefully

20. technom8t

Fav Celtic Player:
    NAKA
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Boy had some really bad personal news 2 days ago, i expected him to miss the game today but to his credit he played. Probanky be out of sorts for a week or so.