1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jun 1, 2019.

Discuss How Do We Approach Our Summer Business? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Spot on, we should be looking for 2/3 marquee players. We have eye wattering sums of money in the bank, we are going for 9 in a row so the board should be pushing the boat out, its their job to make Celtic the best it can be yet we have glaring holes in our squad. Wish they were more proactive than reactive, we always seem to be srambling in signings towards the end of the window.

Murph-E likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ha ha, I'd love to blame Brendan Rodgers; but we're under Lenny now and KT knows he would have been looked after. Obviously I know your tongue was firmly in cheek.:56:

On a serious note (still related to our summer business), I'm sure I saw a quote on here of Vic (who has now played for some top level coaches in the EPL) praising what a great coach Lenny was. Is my memory playing tricks or didn't Vigil also praise Lenny's role in his development a bit too?

Without denying what a great coach Rodgers was (I mean the first two years, when he could be arsed), I think it's clear that we've still got a great coach now. You can already see a difference in Eddy and the way he was talking about Bolingoli in the latest press conference was exactly what I wanted to hear.

I know I'm preaching to the bishop here; but I thought it was worth putting it out there, given that there were some worries in the spring that the best young talent wouldn't come here to be developed by Neil Lennon as opposed to a Brendan Rodgers type.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic at the moment. Just a sore one with KT, but we'll get over it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, he’s a different type to Brendan Rodgers (and the difference in the likes of Forrest takes Brendan to a different level) but he’s very good at the small details.

He approaches coaching like he did how he played, he always wants his players to be thinking about helping those around them. More team focused, Brendan Rodgers was more player focus and improve the small details of players games.

Random Review likes this.
  4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    This and fact we missed out on 9 million for boyata even 6 million for Gordon players who would not have been missed

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

northeast67 and Random Review like this.
  5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Just because we got 25 million we still need to box clever generally think our spending would go up if we were guaranteed 25 million a season or CL money a season generally over time our transfer fees have risen because the way we have run the club

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hopefully Kennedy was paying attention under Rodgers and can help Lenny add more of that to his coaching. Lenny struck me as very willing to learn from the set up Rodgers had here.

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

The Yanks use the expression A Day Late & a Dollar Short. Our board seem to take forever and a day to see the glaringly obvious when it comes to lack of quality or lack of cover. Signing Izzy was classic example.. short term fix when we could have bought quality replacement

Hope Boli comes good but if he plays at Ibrokes then i think we will get torn apart. He will be sure to see Red.

Every year we seem to be waiting on the last day of the window full of expectation only to be let down. Loans & projects for future are all well and good but when we are selling proven quality players then we should be replacing them with similar.

We have money in the bank and 8 titles in the bag... and should we fail to reach 9 & 10 nobody will care what the balance sheet says.. Football clubs brag about titles and cups not plus or minus account sheets

Get the Chequebook out and get quality players in

8. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Hi Mr Lawwell, even took my gk suggestion on board

9. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

A decent lb and am made up now. A wanyama or wanyama on top at it will be one of the better windows we have had for a while. Still cannot help but wonder what would be if we had all this wrapped up before the Cluj game

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Personally think we have a decent left back
    Guys played 4 games and improved everygame and still everyones on the "hes *" train from his first game.

Luckily we never punted larsson after his first game :56:

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We still need a left back though, can’t only have one with McGregor the only other person that can even fill in there.

12. celtic warrior

No more loans now please.

Go out and spend money on a LB and a new beast of a DM and then it's a case of better late then never, yes this all should have been done before CL qualifiers but it wasn't and here we are now.

They sign players in those two positions and fans mindsets will be changing, mine included. However, regardless of how good this might finish fans can't forget this and the board need to made aware we are watching them like hawks more than ever before and this * and predictable pattern is getting tiring

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye true.

14. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Great to see some new faces finally coming in, even if they are loans.
    Why do we always leave it so late though? The signings we have made could all have been done before the Cluj game.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    With loans I think it can be difficult. Clubs may try to sell, then loan when they realise it will not happen they loan. They may also will be waiting to see there own business out before seeing who and who doesn't have a place.
    Loans are weird, they can give you a player you would never be able to sign but they do not plan for the future. I think Lenny had a lot to do, more than I thought and getting all perms in would be hard. I do think the Forster and Bauer loans are forward planning however

16. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I think if you look at the strength of the squad after 5pm on Monday compared to what it was when the window closed last season we will have reason to be pleased. We'll definitely be in a stronger position in terms of squad depth.

I'm pleased with the actual business we've done, but I think it's all just happening a bit too late. Deals like Forster and Elyounoussi are always going to be options after the English window closes, and those positions aren't essentials so it's more of a nice bonus than anything else.
    The failure to get the defence sorted for the qualifiers sticks out as a big, big problem and the fact we still haven't sorted out that problem is a real issue.

But overall, the squad is looking strong - especially going forward.

We still need a left-back, but we could also do with another central defender and/or midfielder.

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Left back Please! Like now Pedro

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Get what people are saying about loans but we have 2 options to buy am sure with Forster and Bauer. Elyounoussi is right out the top drawer and a complete shock they guy will bring something special to the team.

I am like most we are still 2 or 3 short imo.

Left back
    Centre midfield
    Centre back

We all know now it’s more or less likely to be Taylor to sign before Monday for the left back position.

We still need a midfielder who will sit and break up play, Kouassi was brought to do this but I haven’t been convinced he can do this long term.

We also need a proper 4th centre back. Ajer for all he is developing is prone to missing a few games here and there and still even though he is a physical specimen he is only 21 and will need time to rest before big matches.

Jozo we know has issues with plastic pitches, can’t train every day and can’t play Sunday-Thursday-Sunday matches so he needs managed.

Jullien - should be upto speed by time the international break is done and will be fine.

Bitton - big man slows games down and has a great eye for a pass but would rather a legit centre back in the squad.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

100% with the positions we need but my fear is that Lennon will see Bitton as a utility player who can slot into centre half and CDM and we won’t sign anyone bar the left back position.

Love us to bring in three, can’t see it happening but would love it to happen.

20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Squad looks extremely thin in areas doesn’t it though!

Still think a few wide men will go on loan before window shuts!

Hayes, Sinclair and Shved all possible departures for me