1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonathan Afolabi.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 17, 2019.

Discuss Jonathan Afolabi. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    "We have signed him on a free transfer and he is one that's a development," said Celtic manager Neil Lennon.

"He is sort of on the cusp [of the first-team reckoning]. He will come in and train with us and we will get a good look at him over the next few weeks and see what we want to do with him in terms of his progression. He is raw but he has good potential."

2. Murph-E

Signed him because he's free, just the way we like it.

DoTheBroony and freitassen like this.
  3. Keano88

Don’t know much about the lad other than he can play ST and LW.

Free transfer so no harm in seeing what he can do.

Welcome Johny bhoy :50:

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Surprised he still signed considering he was at the game today and saw that performance.

shaunbhoy67 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Good luck to the guy hope he is a success, but we really want to see 1st team players in the door right now.

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Like connell he's a good addition but not likely to be one for this season

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He was born in a Dublin street..

Crilly likes this.
  8. Crilly

My little Brother sent me a pic of him and said hopefully we get him he's unreal said he plays for Ireland u19s and Southampton said he featured for there first team once or twice last season he thinks. I said is he just Ireland u19 good or actually good and he said he's quality he's seen him a few times so hopefully a good player there

paulie67, tarboltontim and kramer1 like this.
  9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Obafemi another Irish born African parents player played first team football for Southampton last season. Think that who he might be thinking of Southampton first team football wise. afolobi featured well for Ireland u19s alright this summer

kramer1 and Crilly like this.
  10. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Tallaght, for the watching that’s for sure

thailandceltic and JC Anton like this.
  11. Crilly

Maybe yeah but he mentioned obafeminand said their similar but this lad is bigger. Maybe he just thought it was afolabi that featured

Dublin Celt likes this.
  12. rickyroma25

Might have thought, "* sake, I'll get a game for this mob easy".

13. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Aye very good but 'one for the future' is not what I want to see just now.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic new boy Jonathan Afolabi has made the switch to Parkhead from Southampton after a starring role at the U19 European Championships this summer.

The Ireland youth international caught the attention in Armenia -including Irish U21s boss Stephen Kenny.

Afolabi struck in a 2-1 win against Czech Republic to secure Ireland’s qualification in second place from the group stage. They were thumped 4-0 by Portugal in the semi final. But Irish coach Kenny was full of praise for the 19-year-old - particularly given his painful departure from Southampton just weeks beforehand.

He’s been one of the best centre-forwards in the tournament without a doubt.

A lot of players when they’re released from clubs, it’s quite complex.

Human emotion is what it is, some people maybe come home, get deflated and give up football.

They fall out of love with the game for a year, it takes them sometimes a year to get the motivation back to get back playing.

Jonathan has taken a setback but he hasn’t allowed that setback to set him back.

He’s been very determined to show his quality and I think that was evident in Russia in the qualifying campaign, he was very prominent and I think he’s shown everyone a great example of how to react when you have been let go. He’s been exceptional.

15. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Ireland U19 international Jonathan Afolabi has been attracting interest from a host of clubs in England and abroad following his impressive displays at the European Championships for the Boys in Green.

Tom Mohan’s side reached the last four of the tournament in Armenia with Afolabi grabbing a goal in the group stages against the Czech Republic and catching the eye throughout with his standout displays.

Afolabi has been without a club since the start of the summer after leaving Southampton but sources close to the player told Pundit Arena that a myriad of clubs are chasing his signature after his performances won him a place in the team of the tournament

Crystal Palace are thought to be the frontrunners as they search for a remedy to their attacking woes while Aston Villa, who had previously been linked with a move for the 19-year old, are said to no longer be in the running.

Pundit Arena also understands that Steve Bruce’s Newcastle United have shown interest in Afolabi as well as Birmingham City and Reading from the Championship.

There are also clubs abroad chasing the Irish striker with a La Liga side thought to be keen.
    Afolabi’s work-rate and finishing ability caught the attention of many in Armenia including Irish U21s boss Stephen Kenny who told Pundit Arena that his form at the European Championships and in particular his attitude, have been a huge bonus for the Boys in Green.

“One of the things that has been a plus is the form of Jonathan Afolabi,” said Kenny.

“He’s been one of the best centre-forwards in the tournament without a doubt.

“A lot of players when they’re released from clubs it’s quite complex. Human emotion is what it is, some people maybe come home, get deflated and give up football.

“They fall out of love with the game for a year, it takes them sometimes a year to get the motivation back to get back playing. Jonathan has taken a setback but he hasn’t allowed that setback to set him back.

“He’s been very determined to show his quality and I think that was evident in Russia in the qualifying campaign, he was very prominent and I think he’s shown everyone a great example of how to react when you have been let go. He’s been exceptional.”

Anyone know why he was released by Southampton. Seems odd if he as good as he is rated and the club apparently hoovering about him

[​IMG]

16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Tbh think he signed prior to the match going by his face in the pictures.

It had a '* have I done' vibe to it.

17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Apparently he was released after his agent player hardball over a contract and Southampton pulled the offer and released him but that could be complete crap. He would have been well down the ladder at Southampton

MickeyyMack likes this.
  18. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Could be a worthwhile acquisition. Short term deal though so I dont know what to make of that.

19. Cringer67

Lennon described Amido Balde as “raw” also. Man, I hate that word.

SteveKen likes this.
  20. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Watched him in all the u-19 euro games and when they mentioned he's a free agent I thought we should be on it. So happy enough with this.

Dublin Celt likes this.