1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How much debt do you have?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Peej, Dec 21, 2016.

Discuss How much debt do you have? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Half price rent?

2. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    After years of managing various debt and a mortgage I managed to clear all of it about 8 years ago and I've been a happier man since.

Raoul Duke and Johniebhoy. like this.
  3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Debt :50:

Doogs. and clonbhoy like this.
  4. Pearse67*

Probably around 10k in credit cards, store cards and a loan, getting it cleared next year as its a pain in the hole.

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye those store cards are the devil.

"Do you want a store card?" Aye ofcourse I'll love some extra we points... half the time they dont even tell you it's a credit card until you realise you've walked out the shop with a bag of clothes and paid * all and owe double by next month because you forget all about it :56: cost my dad £600 to clear my sisters that started as £100 she used before her first holiday as a teenager. Can see why folk get debt built up so fast.

6. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Years ago I left sky with a non payment of 70 odd pounds. Can't remember the reason though, but I think they changed the contract or something, but whatever the reason, I was right and that's all that matters.
    So they bombarded me with letters and phone calls looking for their money and it came to a point when I had enough, so I wrote them a letter explaining why I had left and that I was in the right, I also told them that the cost of the letter was £80 and they now owe me a couple of quid. The letter was a riot, full of wee stick men drawings, crayon drawings of a telly and sky van like a wean would draw plus loads of spelling mistakes.
    It worked, never heard from them again.
    Back with sky now though. :56:

7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Does a cocaine tick bill count?

8. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Only when you've run out of coke.

bagforlife and Boruc17 like this.
  9. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    I used to be an absolute moron when it come to finances. Credit cards, loans, overdrafts etc were the norm for me. Got myself into such a big hole with it I had to approach my old man 4 years ago and ask him to help me out of the giant black hole I'd created.

Long story short is he got a loan from the bank in his name to allow me to consolidate my debts. The loan was for £25k and I have been paying that back at close to £700 a month for the last 3.5 years. Only 6 more payments and I will officially be debt free.....only piece of advice I can give anybody reading this is don't get into debt, it is an absolute chore to get yourself out of a situation that is ever so easy to create.

KRS-1888, Whoflungdung and Boruc17 like this.
  10. stew37

Didn't want to start a new thread so just searched debt.

Anyone have any experience of tax credit repayment debt? I'm getting chased by some company called Advantis for repayment of over payment of tax credits. It * me off as the tax credits I got I'd never have taken if I understood how they calculate it and request repayment. I was in a very low paying job when I came back from travelling abroad, eventually got a better paid job, immediately informed the tax credit folk, then got a letter almost a year later asking for a grand. Not sure what action they can take etc.

11. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I am very lucky now I am mortgage and debt free , saving like * so I can retire early to do what I want when I want and can tell my boss to * off .

charlietully and Whoflungdung like this.
  12. stew37

I'm now mortgage free, so this thing with DWP is * annoying.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Entered a trust deed about a year ago.
    Apparently my debt had ran up to 17k (including interest)
    Just got away from me between:

Wedding
    Depression
    Surgery
    Wife being very unwell mentally and me trying to compensate avoiding * by buying * I couldn't
    Wife in and out of work due to said illness.

Thank * for my parents who have helped me a * ton....still do.
    Getting my * together slowly but surely

Garrymac1888 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I think I still owe my mate £40 for a half G.

Buster, Smithy and jocksteinupper like this.
  15. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Citizens advice mate. Sure they'll have dealt with this before. I'm assuming you're not on any now as i thougth they just bumped you for a few quid off your current payments and pay that way. The whole systems a * farce imo anyway and i've heard quite a few stories of this happening to mates. In the past when i was out of work i contacted the * (that's when i could get through) about every change no matter how trivial. I, however, can understand there can be various reasons why people don't do this.

stew37 likes this.
  16. stew37

I reckon these services are set up to get more money off us in the long run, in a more long winded way. I could have survived on the * wage I was getting, but someone at my work suggested tax credits so I thought fair enough if I was entitled to them. I think they're saying that because they calculated what I was due on my old wage, and my wage changed mid tax year, I needed to some back, which is pretty * in my opinion, as I obviously wasn't earning that extra money when I was claiming.

Thing that always * me off is that I'm small time compared to the benefits and tax scrounging and loopholes * that can afford it use, and politicians/ Royal family types etc.

I'm going to contact CAB or Stepchange tomorrow. If it turns out there's not much they can do other than default me then they're getting * all as the house is sorted. Will see what they say.

17. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Aye, good luck mate. If CAB or such like can't help i'm sure they'll point in right direction. Would have thought if you can show this would cause hardship then they'll suggest a payment plan of some sort. My own opinion would be don't default though as you may gain short term but could be asking for grief down the line if you need them depending on your circs.

18. stew37

Aye maybe so, will wait and see what they say.

19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Contact HMRC on 03453003900 about this. They say best time is Tue to Thurs between 8.30am to 10.30 am and between 2pm and 4pm also Tue to Thurs. Good luck

20. stew37

It's not with them now mate, so need to contact this debt company I reckon. Usually after they take it on the original company won't touch it. I've never had a debt like this before but that's my understanding of it. I mind years ago when I worked in a call center, folk that wanted to pay us would call In but if we'd passed the debt on to a debt company we couldn't take it.