1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    It think thats absolutely spot on description of Brown. However you have missed out his leadership on the field and that we miss that side of the game when he doesnt play but yes his technical ability is really poor for a midfielder whos on £30k a week specially in comparison to players in the same position in europe..

FranceCelt and FrankMcCallum like this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's not useless, but it's not one bad game is it?

Whenever we're against a decent team that have an energetic midfield and press aggressively, he looks like an old man. Twice at Ibrox last season he looked out of his depth. Even that first half against Motherwell at the weekend he was getting rinsed regularly. Was painfully slow.

Lewis Kerr, JML67 and FrankMcCallum like this.
  3. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I appreciate that people see football differently and have alternative opinions.

But if you genuinely rate a football player you should be able to rhyme off his attributes and what he brings to the team in seconds.

One of you has brought forward a deflected shot and a really nice assist, and the other still hasn’t mentioned anything positive he brings to the team.

If I asked you to rhyme off what Ajer, McGregor, or Christie brings to the team, you wouldn’t have enough space on the page. That’s the difference. A clear weak link.

4. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The fact you need this pointed out to you really highlights your level of understanding of football.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Good post. On reflection a guy that has been a mainstay in the team under 5 different football managers and is in the top 10 of our most decorated players ever has absolutely no redeemable football qualities.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

clonbhoy and tarboltontim like this.
  6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

A fourth fan slating my opinion and criticising someone’s understanding of the sport but can’t answer the question. Says it all really. Letting sentimentality get in the way of progress.

And still nothing. Congratulations. You are proving my point with every sarcastic and * little post you make.

7. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Your idiotic question doesn’t warrant a proper response.

clonbhoy likes this.
  8. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Please give it a try. Since you’re so knowledgeable.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Ram your baseless, disrespectful comments of one the greatest servants in our history right up your hole.

Broony has made a career out of making clowns like you look silly. Every time he is written off he comes back to produce the goods and end up with trophies aloft above his head in May.

10. wulliebad

It was a * stupid thing to do...but he has had more than his fair share of great games and seasons for us......we move on.

11. clonbhoy

He has had bad games and every time he does this is rolled out. How many good games has he had against the Huns? He has been excellent in the vast majority of games against them since their foundation.

What was clear to most of us before last night was that he can’t play back-to-back games anymore. This was even more clear as the game planned out last night. I am pretty sure that Brown expected to be hauled off much sooner than he was and it may have changed everything...

12. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Your argument appears to be that no-one has yet written half a page on why Scott Brown is a good footballer. In your eyes he is therefor a poor footballer.
    You stand in defiance of the facts of the man's career.
    Nuts.

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Not really a guinea pig experiment when it was his actual position when we bought him. Agree with him being our best centre half though.
    Winning trophies.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    There's criticism and then there's just going full on ridiculous..

15. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Aye. I’m the clown for daring to question one of our players when it’s clear that everyone on here who has responded can’t bring forward a coherent argument.

Sentimentality will continue to halt our progress. He may well come back and produce the goods against Darian McKinnon and Ian Vigurs but it’s just not enough.

He is very likely to be lifting the trophies above his head again but it won’t be because of him, I can guarantee that.

16. SkyeCelt

Someone mentioned Gary Neville earlier in the thread and how he knew it was time to call it a day. Brown has been an immense servant, but he's really not up to the demands of playing a consistent role at Celtic. He must know he is not half the player he was. Lennon is a fool if he thinks he can build a team around Brown. McGregor is that player.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That's completely missing the point. How he played against them one year, two years or 8 years ago doesn't matter.

The point is that we're seeing a pattern. When he's faced with an energetic midfield who get on top of him quickly, he struggles. I'm not saying he's completely useless. But in those games, the likes of at Ibrox or in Europe against aggressive sides, he gets caught out. It's completely natural, given he's 34.

FranceCelt, Twisty and Mr Shelby like this.
  18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hes not always been bad. He had the highest interceptions in europe during the champions league just a couple years ago. That is a defensive midfielder. Stop with your pish pretending hes always been *.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He doesn't have the legs or engine he once had, very few players do at the age of 34.

We should have others in the squad that are capable of filling in for him to drop to the bench but thanks to our chronic injury record and our deplorable recruitment policy we don't have that luxury and we're still expecting him to play more than 50 games a season.

No-one needs to make a coherent argument to counter the point that he brings nothing to the team. A quick look at his record demolishes that as demonstrable nonsense immediately. It is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on here and I'm good pals with @cidermaster, so that takes some doing. Bravo.

cidermaster and clonbhoy like this.
  20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He's still a good player but I don't think he offers enough defensively to warrant leaving Ntcham out of the midfield. Get McGregor in deep with Ntcham and Christie in front of him and we will play some some top class football.

FranceCelt likes this.