1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Birger Meling

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Henrik 07, Aug 12, 2019.

Discuss Birger Meling in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Shame, he did look excellent against us. I wanted him when KT was here a couple of years ago but would want a certain, solid option there. The way Elhamed looks at right back.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Who’s Israel’s left back and does Dahan have his phone number? :fear:

ArminCeltic, Crilly, Hammy89 and 3 others like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Nah, the key is to go for a random one they’ve overlooked :56:

4. freitassen

The Finnbogason of our time

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The modern day Muzzy Izzet

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  6. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Interesting reading on the Rosenborg forums. Fans seem as torn there as they do here but it seems most rate him and don't want to lose him. Don't think I saw a single post saying he wasn't good enough.

They seem to think he'll be sold for anywhere between £1.3 and £4.7m going by the current exchange rate.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  7. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    CELTIC are tracking Rosenborg left-back Birger Meling.

Neil Lennon wants more cover following Kieran Tierney’s record £25million move to Arsenal.

And SunSport understands Meling, 24, is a serious option.

He is under contract until December next year but is open to a move now.

Rosenborg rejected an offer for the defender from MLS side Los Angeles FC last week.

Meling was impressive in four Euro qualifying ties against Celts and has scored at Parkhead.

He said: “I have ambitions to try something different and hope to do that some day.

“Right now we have terribly important games and we all have full understanding of what the situation is.

“We will see if new opportunities emerge for me eventually, but the timing is difficult right now. I understand this.”

Rosenborg coach Eirik Horneland admitted: “Birger will probably leave at some point.”

Club sporting director and former Liverpool star Stig Inge Bjornebye said: “There is now an increase in activity around our players.”

Lennon spent £3m on left-back Boli Bolingoli, but he wants more competition in defence

Rydo1888* and HTG like this.
  8. apevrak

I think he's been one of the top 3 performers in Rosenborg for a long time now.

He's not been delivering in the goals or assist department this season, but I think it's down to unfamiliarity with the new system that their coach Horneland has them playing. Rosenborg was struggling at the start of the season and the whole team looked * Meling included, but since the middle of May they've been finding their feets winning consistently, only loosing to Tromsø and BATE since then.

Meling has been an important part since Rosenborg turned the corner, being one of or even the best ball playing left back in the league. He's also a good tackler and his positional sense is day and night compared to Bolingoli and Hayes.

I firmly believe he could be a good replacement for KT if the price is right. His contract is running out next year and I think RBK would be looking to offload him this window if we could pay them something in the land between £3-4m. Rosenborg might wait to sell him to after the qualifiers is over and done though.

9. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Could even play the play off should we get there or would he be cup tied?

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He would be available.

Crilly likes this.
  11. Quacksandpiper

Hes the boy Jamsey skinned, then binged one in off the bar.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Hardly a slight to be fair. Jimmy has roasted plenty of top LBs in the past eg, Alaba, Halliday etc.

13. Murph-E

Get him in.

14. Quacksandpiper

Haha Halliday. No so much of a slight, that's all i remember him for.

Tommy25 and Seán Mac D like this.
  15. Drontheim

Norwegians aren't baffled that Meling is as highly rated as he is by Celtic fans, that's obviously BS.

I'm a Rosenborg fan btw. He's the preferred option at our NT's left back whenever he's fit, but I should add that LB and CB are the most lacking spots on our national side. Ajer and Meling are the only good options for those positions.

He's highly rated among Rosenborg fans. Especially after he, Samuel Adegbenro (LW) and Andre Hansen (GK) pretty much sent Ajax out of the Euro League QF themselves. He's consistently been a bright spot in a weak Rosenborg team over the last three years, and most Rosenborg fans will expect at least £3M for him, seeing how the prices are going through the roof elsewhere on the continent, and how much Celtic got for Tierney.

As for Meling, it would be an OK move for him. Playing for you lot is obviously special, but I think he can play on a higher level myself.

16. Delphic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    He’s been fit plenty of times but Norway have still went with Aleesami(who’s very average) at left back.

If Meling can get a better club than Celtic then good luck to the lad.

Personally I’d prefer someone who’s more aggressive, better defensively, and better in the air.

Bolingoli looks good going forward, so we’d be better with a different type/option instead.

Good luck to Rosenborg for the season ahead.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

Playing for us is a higher level than Rosenborg to be fair. Maybe if he is lucky enough he will have a successful career like the last full back we signed from you lot.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Drontheim

He's been fit and in the squad, but typically after a period of time on the sideline with an injury. Or just because Lagerbäck (NT coach) didn't want to rotate the team that won the previous match. But there's no doubt that he's the first option of the two, and clearly better.

Thanks

19. Drontheim

Yes, but that's a low bar. Celtic would be lucky to have him - he's better than Lustig at the point he left us.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Was an amazing finish tbf.

I remember him scoring against us and being a standout both times at Celtic Park he also assisted the goal that ensured we progressed through the EL group last season.

He's fast and direct and tidy in possession. I know it's folly to scout a player on games against you, but to me he looks like a player.

Thought he would have been snapped up before now tbh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.