1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[POLL] Are you satisfied with the appointment of Neil Lennon as manager?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celticfan01, May 26, 2019.

Discuss [POLL] Are you satisfied with the appointment of Neil Lennon as manager? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Do they, though. They've been, to a man, dogshit for months and showed zero positive reaction whatsoever to him getting the job as both interim and now permanent gaffer.

We need a large turnaround in playing staff and some people in who want to play for the club and put their all in every single week.

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Lenny has already admitted people have sussed out Celtic. The system, the formations and the lack of attempt to change style. People can complain about long ball but with 3 or 4 strikers rather than 1 next season we can change our attacking style for different games or mid games. Strikers like Bayo will thrive on crosses, he knows how to head the ball and Griff is good withe low cross tap ins nd finding space for them.

StPauli1916 and rkid like this.
  3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If there was unrest with the players they wouldn't have offered hkm the job

Sydneysider, StPauli1916 and rkid like this.
  4. StevieBhoooy!

I can’t help feeling suspicious about the timing of events here...

The whole ‘offered the job’ thing shows that it was done spur of the moment at the end of the final. The 2 organ grinders took the singing for Lenny as an endorsement to appoint rather than the ‘signing off’ and thank you appreciation that it actually was.

If it had been offered via a proper process... (in addition to having interviewed other candidates) they would have waited to announce it once accepted and signed.

I’m struggling to think of another example ever where a club announced a ‘job offer’. We sometimes hear subsequently about refused offers in interviews and biographies etc... but normally you hear absolutely nothing until it’s a done deal or about to be.

The whole thing easily leads to the conclusion that there’s been absolutely no discussion or guarantees regarding support staff or player budget etc.

Benitez / Newcastle- 10 days plus of negotiations to try to agree the terms..

Lennon / Celtic - “there’s only one Neil Lennon”, DD nods to PL. PL winks at DD and 45 minutes later NL is offered the job in the Hampden Lavvies.

Whether you wanted Lennon or not .... the overall timeline is cynical , disrespectful to the supporters and insulting to the man himself.

None of it suggests to me that he will genuinely be ‘backed’.

The more I rationally think about it the more ridiculous it all is.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  5. Minty1888

one Neil Lennon, there's only one Neil Lennon :ynwacelti

RockhardBoss and StPauli1916 like this.
  6. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    This, the club have a much better idea of how behind the manager the team is than fans on a forum

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think you need to stop thinking about it because you've clearly over thought it and come to baseless conclusions

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. StevieBhoooy!

Hardly baseless !

And as said .. it’s my opinion on the whole process to this point... it’s based on the evidence I’ve seen.

You are entitled to view things differently and form your own opinion/conclusion.

Here’s some more ‘evidence’ to compound my ‘baseless conclusion’.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/foot...eeded-for-celtic-says-peter-lawwell-1-4934950

9. daschoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    caldwell, hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Pretty amateurish handling from the club actually, not suggesting Lennon will hold them over a barrel but if they genuinely haven't agreed terms, budgets etc then why the * are they announcing anything.
    They're now in a position where they may have to give more than they'd intended to avoid the farcical situation of Lenny turning it down which does suggest it was a spur of the moment decision.

Obviously if that means he gets a bigger transfer budget that's a good thing but it's not a bit of a * show to get there.

10. celtic warrior

Think any unsatisfied feelings are due to the board.

For some, including myself he wasn't my first choice but I assume like most here, none of us are that upset Lennon is our man again.

What leaves me unsatisfied is Lawells comments about getting Lennon in, if that didn't stink of laziness and lack of ambition from the board as Lawell makes it sound like they didn't actually bother looking for alternatives but yet they waited until the cup final to announce him when it was his no matter what happened?.

Errrrrrrm *?, please explain to me how any of that makes sense.

My hope is Lennon will be given the proper funds to actually buy players and not just loans. If not the board will be lynched by the fans and Lennon shouldn't be caught in the middle of all of this.

11. celtic warrior

Thing is despite how much I currently hate lawell and his lack of ambition, it depends on how look at the squad and your perspective on it.

I would argue he's not entirely wrong, e.g:

Lustig given new contract and used as a 4th choice/2nd choice CB/RB.

1 permanent RB
    1 permanent CB signing to compliment Ajer and Jozo
    1 loan CB I.E Benkovic (best outcome option)
    1 old head with a few years still left in the tank at LB.
    2 midfielders in central and left wing positions
    And if we are being super picky 1 additional striker perhaps even on Loan to support the return of Griff and Bayo.

That seems like a lot when written down but it's arguable that only 2 of them are required to be ready for the first team ASAP and if handled right it doesn't require a high net spend, assuming guys like Ntcham/Rogic and Sinclair are sold.

12. joemc

it seems most are a bit miffed either by the fact that we had rodgers who came over as meticulous in everything, and was seen as a top manager ,who only just missed out winning the epl ,to lenny who has been here before and most agree done well,but is not as professional in approach and concerns of fitness issues with a lenny team.

he is loved by most there is no doupt, and there is that legend returning fear that it goes badly, i remember his first rebuild and was stunned at the team he put together and how well they played , i have no concerns in recruitment and yes he will probably be asked to trim the wage budget to allow for better quality additions, cant disagree on this either.

he was always firts choice ,call it a safe bet or a lazy appointment , but all things being weighed up would have been the best appointment because they know wot he can do , he knows wot he will be working with and the pressures,which imo was stiffling the life out of us from a history perspective and trying to acheive 3 treble.

now we need to get on with this as fans , im no gonny slate opinions and feelings here ,we will lose a trophy it has to happen some time ,its the way this is dealt with by us and any rough patches that will determine how this goes ,for me the panic is over the treble treble is never happening again ,its history and we need to understand we cant always win everything here ,if we fail on the ten it will be caused by fan revolt and disunity without question .

13. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Fans arent on the field of play ?

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

You're jumping to conclusions regarding the thought process on appointing him. Absolutely guaranteed that it wasnt spur of the moment. No way.

As for that article. What of what Lawwell says do you disagree with?

15. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Tell you what JJ backpeddling at 100mph :56:Never seen so much narcissism in my life :56:He appeared to state that DM was getting the job.

16. StevieBhoooy!

As said... that’s MY conclusion. You can make your own.

I think the Lawwell article is cleverly timed and worded as you’d expect.

I’m a cynic... but my interpretation is that it’s ‘Peter-Speak’ for...

“We will be spending the bare minimum”.

Let’s just see where we are once the qualifiers and season start.

bhoy81 likes this.
  17. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    We are all Neil Lennon, again. Just get behind him

18. jamiebhoy67

Jesus hes not gonna come.out and say we have a big job to rebuild and we will spend money and then be held to ransom.for players

19. joemc

when things are going a bit rough its fans who force change everytime .

20. SuperZidane

I really don't understand why people think Lennon will drive a hard bargain with Lawwell.

He has left his last 2 jobs by mutual consent, was out of work when BR left and a lot of the football since he took over has been dreadful - Saturday being a classic example. Frankly, he is hardly a hot property - I think he'll just go along with whatever DD/PL say - he'll never get a bigger job than this.

Don't forget - he left once before and look how that turned out.

I never thought that Rafa was a serious prospect but I was hoping that DD would get a class manager in to take the club forward and build on the last 3 years.

I respect Lennons service to our club but I see this as a real backwards move for the club. The thought of a management team of Lennon/Parker/Kennedy and Duff is a real worry IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.