1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jan 7, 2019.

Discuss Timothy Weah in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Neil Lennon does Keto diet mate

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not for me mate, both refusing to play when they are available to play.

* them.

Mystic Penguin and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  3. Mr. Slippyfist

Anyone who refuses to play for our club, or chooses to play for a national team over us can go * themselves - be it Viduka, Boyata or Weah.

As much as I'm not really fussed over Paddy Roberts now, at least he knocked back the chance to play in a tournament for England's under 21's to play in a Scottish Cup final for us.

That's what I want to see...

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bang * on.

5. celtic warrior

Whilst I'm inclined to agree, Roberts and Weah's International prospects are polar opposites.

Playing devil's advocate, Roberts probably had a far better chance of actually playing in their relative finals as well.

Weah, albeit on an extended loan could have been such a great little addition to our attack for next season and have a good full season of football. Lennon as our interim manager, has stopped that from happening now.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s not as black and white as that. Stop ignoring the facts.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It is as black and white as that. Did he have an opportunity to stay and take part in a treble treble? Yes. Did he decide not to? Yes.

blackfish and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Nothing is black and white; but even so, I'd invite you to compare this with Tom Rogic. Tom made it very clear he wanted to play Rangers and then join up with Australia and his coach refused. Tom had to accept that but was obviously disappointed. Others have already mentioned Paddy.

If, and I'm not assuming it's true until either someone more trustworthy than the Record reports it or I see some quotes; I repeat if the US coach agreed a deal to let him play in the cup final and Weah himself refused, then Lenny was 100% right.

MacEwan likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Think Roberts turned down the under 20's and they won the world cup..

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mate, I really don't think that's true. One advantage of barely watching Ronny's second season due to personal problems was that I remember his first one uncoloured by the second. That first season, the team definitely did get a bit fitter. Not as fit as under Rodgers and you know me enough to know that I'm not accusing Lenny of doing a bad job on their fitness; but it did happen. Everyone noticed it.

What happened in the second season after about September 2015 (which is roughly when I went off the rails), I don't know; but reading between the lines, I'm guessing Ronny never quite wrapped his head around the insane number of games we play in Scotland to adapt his fitness regime accordingly and it probably caught up with the players. I know, obviously I'm just guessing there. What must have happened that season is something I wonder about a lot.

I think people are much too hard on Ronny in general. He was a one-dimensional tactician and didn't learn his lessons in Europe; but he was a much better coach than people remember.

freederry20 likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It is true, Broony’s said it, the likes of Mulgrew have said it. It did click but even in that season we tired towards the end of games, we just had Denayer and Van Dijk to rely on. That summer when we got beat in the qualifers (was it Malmo? I think it was Malmo) the of Norwegian coach in charge of them called it before the game - Ronny’s teams were notorious of tiring towards the end of at matches.

He tried to blame the previous regime i.e. Lenny of having them unfit and ot being a work in progress. Lenny was bad at managing injuries but our general fitness was excellent under him.

He also tried to throw John Kennedy under the bus in his time in charge, he was bad for shifting blame when it was his fault mate. Nice enough guy and I like him but he was under extreme pressure and it showed.

12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He did have a tendency to panic and try desperately to shift the blame then. He was surprisingly low on confidence for some reason.

I respect your opinion and take it very seriously, but it is difficult for me to agree about fitness. For personal reasons, that spring will stay with me forever and I have a very clear feeling of how it looked to me at the time. Of course it is possible that I was mistaken at the time; but I genuinely feel that people interpret the first season in the light of the second (which is a very normal human reasoning pattern*: you only need to look at the current Lenny debate to see that in action). I would argue that Broony's view will also be coloured by the second season combined with the fact that he probably did feel more tired even in the first season: Ronny's first season was the first season we started to play much more of a pressing game and that is more physically demanding than the way we were playing before**.

* although it is also possible that I was interpreting what I was watching in the light of the general consensus at the time that we were now fitter. I appreciate that it works both ways.
    ** again, not a criticism of Lenny: I like the way we were playing before.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think the 3/4 months after the Nee Year when it clicked was fantastic mate. Definitely. However, that was the anomaly out of his time here, the biggest majority of the time we looked tired towards the end of games.

I think Van Dijk and Denayer masked a lot of issues.

Random Review and Just Kieran like this.
  14. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I did like Weah and had hoped he'd be back next season.

If he has chosen to play for his country as opposed to having the chance to playing in a Cup Final then fair enough. For me, Lennon is right to say he can go now. If he's not available for the final (by choice), he shouldn't be a part of the preparations for it.

He may still be back next season, you never know.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  15. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Completely agree. The platform those two provided meant the rest of the team could just go and attack in the knowledge that those two had the pace, power and ability to handle whatever came at them.

Liam Scales likes this.
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Plus, they two were just playmakers tbh. * all you could do, I can mind Tommy Wright man marking them for a draw because we got confused about passing the ball to people who weren’t them :56:

Random Review likes this.
  17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough, mate. I do remember us toiling a bit (with a few exceptions like that Dundee Utd game) in the autumn and winter; but I had mostly put that down to a transition period. When I think of Ronny, I generally think of that spring.

I think I prefer to go on remembering him from that time TBH. :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I will always remember the Inter game at Celtic park and it was those two that made the difference: Inter didn't have a clue how to cope with them.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bitton was * exceptional as well.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Bitton's actually had a few really good games for us against good European opposition (Man City for another example). He's another enigma of the many we seem to have had lately.

Liam Scales likes this.