1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by holy pope, Oct 28, 2010.

Discuss John Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm sorry mate, but are you posting this as an opinion or are you saying it's a fact?

As far as I'm concerned, it was Lenny>Mjallby>Thompson>Parker.

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Not really as an assistant manager is an assistant manager, Parker isnt an assistant manager. Mjallby's job is to get the players up for games and relay information from Lennon to the players etc and all that sort of stuff plus they usually need to be a bit loud to back up the manager and give players a boot up the *, Parker is quiet and more like a 2nd manager who sees how players are performing, what players need to work on, what youngsters should be promoted, who of the potential signings would be better, what tactics we should use or the opposition have been using.

When Lennon got the job Parker was the first guy he wanted in but he had just broke his leg and was unwell.

A fact, not that Parker is the assistant manager but that Lennon values him higher and that he's the real "number 2" who holds more influence on Lennon than anyone else at the Club. Lennon and Parker are a team like O'Neill and Robertson were although Robertson also carried out the role of assistant and Lennon obviously knew Parker wasn't suited to that role but would be massively important hence why hes the right-hand man and theres Mjallby as an assistant manager too and not just Parker himself.

3. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Parker is kind of the mysterious one out of the three. He doesnt say much and I dont think any of us knew that much about him before he came to Celtic. Unless you have inside information about what goes on behind the scenes at Celtic its pretty hard to say who has more influence, Mjalby or Parker.

My moneys on Parker but I could be wrong.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic scout John Park is set for a return to Parkhead, according to reports.

The talent-spotter left his role with the Hoops in October 2016 before being replaced by Lee Congerton.

Congerton looks likely to be on his way out of Celtic Park after Brendan Rodgers left for Leicester.

And Park could be on his way back with the Daily Express claiming he could reunite with Neil Lennon.

Park was behind a number of successful signings including Virgil van Dijk, Victor Wanyama, Gary Hooper and Moussa Dembele.

Van Dijk has gone on to become one of the best defenders in the world after joining Liverpool in a £75million move last year.

But Park believes Lennon deserves all the credit for the Dutchman's rise in football as he opened up on his relationship with the Hoops boss.

He told the Daily Record: "I was over in Holland extensively watching Virgil, he was a machine back then as he is now.

“He has developed into a top, top drawer defender but I’m not being disrespectful to anyone when I say that it was Neil Lennon who signed him.

It wasn’t me who signed him, there are a team of people in any scouting network and these are people we trust.

“I didn’t make the final decision, it’s the manager who has the final say.

“It’s not as though you can put your hand up and say, ‘you need to sign that player’.

I was fortunate to be working at that time with a manager who trusted my judgement. But it’s Neil who should be the one credited with what Virgil achieved at Celtic, from his arrival from Groningen, getting into the first team and developing on from there.”

5. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Positive news.

6. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Obviously hes a far better talent spotter yhan cuntgerton, but as always, if ge does return, he'll be judged on his incoming picks and not for past glories.

For every wanyama there was a kapo. For every dembele there was a fridgonssen.

Hopefully hes learned a bit of savvy ehen it comes yo "unproven" players and at the same time the board has learned that a higher fee means a lesser gamble.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    That’s down to the board. Lenny full out admitted if Van Dijk was going to cost us more than £2m we wouldn’t have signed him.

So we would go further down the list until they cost less than £2m.

8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not that I 100% agree with that policy, but we are further down the road now. I'm fairly confident that we are willing to invest more (invest being the operative word of course, not * money on poor investments however good they might be as players) from the much stronger position we are in now.

I base that on two things:

Firstly the money we have spent on the likes of Ntcham and Edouard. 9 million would have been absolutely unthinkable in Lenny's first spell, however good the investment opportunity (and of course he is well worth that money if we develop him properly).

Secondly, judging from his language, Lenny clearly wants to keep the job permanently. I don't doubt for a second that he would have come in at such short notice to save 8iar and we love him for that side of him; but I do doubt that he would want it permanently if he had been told nothing had changed since last time.

I really hope the matchgoing support have the faith (and I admit it does require a bit of faith) to renew this summer; because with Lenny back and if this rumour is true, we could be in for a really exciting summer window.

Equally the board have to know that they absolutely mustn't let the fans down this time or we will see a return to pre-Brendan attendances and that will impact us financially going forward.

Liam Scales likes this.
  9. M 67

Why’d he leave in the first place?

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Has Park been scouting or that since he left us?

Good news on 2 fronts. 1. We may see some gems again. 2. Congerton is gone..

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rodgers wanted Congerton

12. M 67

Hmmm. I can remember reading on here it was something to do with a young player and some sort of sell on clause nonsense? Could've been a load of * though, considering he seems eager to come back!

13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    When your shopping at the lower levels your not going to get it right all the time. Every Wanyama covers 5 Kapos and still we would be doing ok.

How many of the flops would the profit we made on VVD cover ignoring the fact that we enjoyed his presence in the team for a couple of years

14. Chubbspeterson

There no been anymore word on him coming back and congerton * off?

15. celtic warrior

We have to be smarter with our money.

Yeah financially a VVD may cover 5 duds. But these 5 duds take up vital registered squad positions where it could be much less if we just done a proper job.

These 5 duds also, just kill our finances, again yeah VVD covered them but if we do the job properly in the first place we'd have a better quality of player a smaller squad and a little extra in the bank to spend should the need arise.

If atleast for one thing, I hope the snakes legacy means the board are made to stump up real funds if there is a player our manager wants and rather than spending £1mill-£2mill on the likes of a Hendry and Compper we spend a little more for just the one player.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Part and parcel of football, when you are signing guys you never really know their mentality and every team has list of guys they'd get rid of if they could.

For all we know for example Shved might have no real interest in playing for us an only signed to get double or triple or quadruple the wages he was getting in Ukraine but will be happy to be loaned back there for 3/4 seasons until he's released with no real intention of playing for us. We'd never know that was his plans before we signed him.

Gabriel and DennyCelt like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon has suffered a new blow after losing out to Sunderland in his bid to take talent spotter John Park back to Celtic.

Head of recruitment Lee Congerton quit Parkhead to be reunited with Brendan Rodgers at Leicester before Sunday's 2-0 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox.

Park, who was scouting chief at Celtic between 2007 and 2016 when he was credited with discovering the likes of Virgil van Dijk, Victor Wanyama and Ki Sung-yuent, was Lennon's choice to return to the post if the Northern Irishman landed the manager's job on a permanent basis.

However, in a setback to Lennon's plans to rebuild the squad this summer, Park is instead poised to land a key role as the new director of football at Sunderland on a five-year contract.

Sunderland owner Stuart Donald is now at an advanced stage in talks with wealthy investors over surrendering control of the club.

And Park is the man identified with overhauling the Wearsiders' football operation after an end-of-season slump under manager Jack Ross saw automatic promotion from League One to the English Championship slip through their hands.

18. wulliebad

That's that then.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOHN PARK will resist any attempt by Celtic chief exec Peter Lawwell to lure him back to Parkhead as recruitment chief.

SunSport understands the talent-spotter behind bringing the likes of Virgil van Dijk and Victor Wanyama to the club is fully committed to becoming Sunderland’s director of football.

Talks for a buyout of the League One Black Cats by US stockbroker Mark Campbell’s consortium are at an advanced stage and a deal is expected to go through soon.

Park, who left Celtic in 2016 following the arrival of Brendan Rodgers and his desire to bring in Lee Congerton, is understood to be excited by ambitious plans to take Sunderland back to the top flight.

20. Keano88

* off then, John.