1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Valencia, UEFA Europa League Last 32, Thurs 14 Feb 8pm ko Live BT Sports 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Feb 10, 2019.

Discuss Celtic v Valencia, UEFA Europa League Last 32, Thurs 14 Feb 8pm ko Live BT Sports 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    As much as I rate McGregor, we also need someone who can be a destroyer. McGregor isn't that, so we need to find a man for the dirty work.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We need someone who can pass and dictate the tempo, McGregor is Champions League Class.

Bobo_ likes this.
  3. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

12/1 to qualify now actually thought it would be about 25/1.

4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No argument from me on McGregor's class. However, Celtic are a SPFL club, and as such, will have a fair number of games domestically where things will get rough, literally. Our players will continue to get kicked and battered. Retribution might stop it.

In Champions League or Europa League, deconstruction of opposition play becomes important, as we'll often be underdogs.

When Brown does go, who should be the third man in the midfield? That is, unless we go 4-4-2, with McGregor and Christie alone.

5. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    I don't think Rodgers deserves too much criticism after last night. It's no coincidence that there's scarcely a Celtic manager in recent history that has negotiated us past a European knock out round. The quality at this level is in such contract to the bread and butter of Scottish football, even if we spent the entire cash surplus you're going to have players who will struggle to adjust to the stark contrast in quality of the opposition, after playing the St Mirren's week in week out.

JC Anton likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

McGregor
    Rogic Christie

Ntcham McGregor
    Christie

7. joemc

Put simply , Valencia are our Kilmarnock ,play against teams with better players and more money in spain and have to find a way to deal with this ,the same way most teams do to us in the spl, so by that logic why would we try to out play teams who have far better players and greater wealth to buy the best ,would it not make more sense to adopt the same philosophy that sees teams like Livingston or Kilmarnock get results ,against the bigger european teams from the 4 big nations ,of course it would ,we are going up against nuclear weapons with a pistol ,we have have done better in europe by doing this over the last 15 year ,we all love attacking football but football has changed so much now that we need to adapt to match the changes .

8. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Mcgregor and christie were honking last night too , too good for spl but your looking for ntcham to come into the team and rogic calm and try keep possession at least , mcgregor cost the first goal.think rodgers is overestimating when he says he can play at that level as a few others.mid table epl maybe.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  9. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It was painful enough how we scraped in thanks to a Rosenberg player but last night just followed on in what has been a shocking campaign with only the Leipzig Home game giving us something to shout about and remember as a good night.

There are many things we can pick at and most have already been fully addressed but for me the bigger picture is the directors and money men don't see us anymore as a European force and have constantly for a long time now failed to take a step forward and show any sort of ambition at this level and simply settled for living off the atmosphere of the fans insideiCeltic Park and giving us tacky lightshows rather than any ambition and a desire to put a team out there equipped to have a fair crack at this level and really give us fans something to believe in.

Lenny walked for this very reason and nothing has changed since, after beating Messi and co and getting us previously into the 2nd Round v Juventus the club didn't want to make a serious effort to push on and dare I say it get by on the march to 10 in a row. Guys like Lenny whos only focus is going constantly forward with a team won't find any joy with our board and Brendan has now hit that same wall where he must realise that he won't be getting any major investment to make any difference at European level and he has to content himself with domestic success.

If we go out every season in the qualification rounds then so be it as its a tough competition.

My biggest gripe is the fact I genuinely don't believe we are equipped or ambitious enough to give it a better crack than we have been at a time they brag about money being in the bank, the fans backing deserves better than this and the fact we pitch up with a stack of loan players in the knockout phase rather than guys brought to the club to play specifically with this competition in mind.

Unless there is a change of mindset this will simply be an annual discussion just regurgitating the same old issues

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    jude 67, Boruc17 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  10. Cmcgregor90

Mcgregor was missing last night lets not sweep it aside

11. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

They were/are just better than us, but we could have made it harder for them at least, they didn't have to break a sweat.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Thought he had a good 1st half but 2nd was poor.. but he’s by far our most consistent performer at that level and domestically tbf..

13. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The best part of this game was seeing a wee guy nick the match ball after someone skied it.

the rest was pish.

Recycling possession to progress up the pitch gradually is fine, but we were actually going backwards.

Even when we're 2-0 down we were playing a possession game - which makes sense if you're 2-0 up.

I thought the 2 full backs were *, especially izzy. Brown kept showing for a pass then playing it back to the CBS, pointless. Burke reminded me of Johnston in the ibrox game, totally isolated - even if he did run down the channels he had no support.

The worst part of it all was seeing Brendan sitting on the bench taking no action and John Kennedy with head in hands. Looked futile.

14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    No shock really for me this one!! The Athens tie was the wake up call. That was a fantastic opportunity as they're a really poor side imo!! Wrote off Europe then... even after Leipzig win I said ok we'll take last 32 but it's still a bonus!!

We move on to the treble treble and that has been my priority for a while!!

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Playing possession football costs a lot of money, as you have to get players that are good technically and mentally, even in the defense. Our board locked the tin box, Brendan didn't vent rage at them publicly while keeping the tactics unchanged, and we then expect Šimunović and Boyata to make possession football work.
    Some people at the club are malicious, some are stubborn, and some are naive.

16. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

17. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    the most goals valencia have conceded at home this season is 2 and that was against Juve in the champ league. Barca, at Madrid and Seville only managed 1 goals and they all drew. Man united only scored 1 goal and got beat 2-1

18. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    When you look at the goals we lose in Europe, it's as if our players just met each other that night, and had never played together before, we also struggle to make basic passes and continually give away possession, a cardinal sin especially at that level.

20. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Tbf I think that back 4 had played just one game together before last night? And Boyata and Izzy both came off early that day