1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

Ajax are not someone we can copy unless we somehow magically make it easier to bring in players from south america

Like Neres, how would you feel if we went out and bought a random guy out of nowhere, without even getting them on loan first to see what they are about (like eddie) and spunked £10mill on a Brazillian who only played 8 times? We as a club can not take risks like that.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  2. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Dutch teams tend to have very good scouting, something we lack

3. celtic warrior

Good scouting of a market we are unable to afford or sign players from.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I used Ajax as an example to the point that finances don't automatically mean you * the bed every time you come up against richer opposition, not that I believe we can or should replicate them.

Salzburg is another example. They beat Real Sociedad, Dortmund and Lazio on route to the Europa semis last year.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  5. BelfastCelt88

Sick of hearing the same * after every European pumping. “We’ll learn from this”. We’ve been hearing this for the past number of years now.

In reality we’ve regressed from the first season and that includes domestically and now relying on loans to get us over the line. It’ll be enough to win us the title this season but for Europe it’s far from good enough. We’ve too much * in this squad and we’re finding it difficult to shift players more than likely because of the earnings they make.

Come the summer we need to rethink our strategy on and off the park as a major rebuilding job is needed.

6. scootz

It would seem that BR has a Plan A... and nothing else! His unwillingness to change tactic (singular intended) has been our undoing time-and-time again in Euro competition.

Valencia are a decent enough team, but they were beatable last night.

His apparent unwillingness to take the CB role seriously is also doing my * in!

I wouldn't be adverse to a change of Manager.

7. celtic warrior

Let's be clear, I don't disagree. We do need to be better at scouting that is just obvious.

But unfortunately we can't look at the Salzburg and Ajax models, I mean salzburg's is so convoluted there is regular ins and about between each RB club and again they pick well from South America.

To be fair, I don't know how it all works but surely we can at least look more towards Asia and Africa?. How difficult is work permits from those countries exactly?.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Scotland’s one of the easiest places to get work permits.

It’s a myth that somehow we can’t scout certain places because of it. We’re spending something like 15m/20m more than Salzburg yet they’re miles ahead of us on the park.

9. celtic warrior

Proof of this? pretty sure we only got Izzy (first time) because he was a regular for Honduras at international level.

EDIT: my very limited understanding is work permits are issued on the basis of whether the player has been involved in 75% of their national teams games within the last 2 years, with exceptions being given to guys like Eboue as he was rising star who atleast had been called up a few times although never used??.

On that limited info I can't see how a Ajax or the ilk based in Scotland would enjoy the success an Ajax in Holland would and does enjoy right now.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  10. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Ah yes but what are we learning? We are learning to be utter *. Jokes on you!

11. eddiemcd1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larson
    Guys, the truth is whether we like it or not....Brendan Rodgers can’t cut it in Europe
    Previous managers with less money to spend ie Lennon and Strachan made us “almost “ invincible
    at parkhead...whereas now - any team in Europe coming to parkhead will have a degree of confidence in beating us.

Chris Sutton said last night “everybody” now knows how Brendan Rodgers plays ie from the back.
    We were extremely poor last night and we hear the same excuses “ all the time”

For me it’s not good enough.... our reputation in Europe is slowly going downhill - no-one fears coming to parkhead anymore.

12. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It is what it is a disappointment but am sick fed up to * with the inquest threads after we get beat! Every mother * time! Players go from hero to zero
    Manager is a fraud
    Lawwells a *

Every * European game we lose! See next season just * refuse to play in it sorted!

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just look at the players who’ve been given work permits over the years.

Have we ever even been refused a work permit?

14. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

So there's no players in Africa, South America or Asia we can afford? Why would we be unable to? We have gained work permits for - Ki, Nakamura, Wanyama, Kouassi, Shiedt, Gamboa, Bayo, Shved, Izzaguirre, Rogic... i could go on for some time. All non-EU players.
    It's a myth.

It's short sightedness from our scouting team that's the problem. Not money or work permits.

Twisty, The Prof and Valhalla like this.
  15. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    salzburg is not a fair example

16. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Comparing us to anybody who spends less and does better is unfair, i know. :87:

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Why not?

We don't have to replicate a whole club's system but we should be acutely aware of other clubs (particularly those on similar income levels that are outwith the big leagues) who are having success in areas that we are not and look to learn from it. An astute CEO that was running a football club solely to be a good football club would do that.

There will be other deciding factors that could rule out implementing aspects from other clubs eg. Portugal has a more relaxed immigration policy and so the likes of Benfica, Sporting, Porto can pick up young South American players with also the benefit of no language barriers if they're from Brazil.

celtic warrior likes this.
  18. celtic warrior

Look at previous posts of mine, I do reference the Asian and African markets as I don't think they are as well known for being difficult compared to south america.

A lot of those players would have met the international requirements to get a work permit, Wanyama was one we had to appeal and fight to sign let's not forget that. As was Eboue.

If it was easy then we'd be out there making the most of it, we are club that loves to shop cheap and make millions on sell on fees, our board wouldn't turn away such a lucrative model, they fact they don't sanction a lot of moves in those markets specifically South America says a lot to me.

19. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    clubs like salzburg are always going to be just a stepping stone for other better teams like leipzig who they share a sponsor with... if you look at their key players last season: haidara, berisha, caleta-car etc those players have all been sold to bigger leagues, their team has been ripped apart pretty quickly. they lost to club brugge in the first leg the other night, can’t see them having the same success as last year.

20. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Or maybe we can't sign SA players because a) they don't fancy the beach at Saltcoats (i know, ungrateful *!) or b) we don't have any scouts or scouting networks there (most likely).

Also saying we had to fight for a WP... so what? We still got them. If those players can meet the requirments and are actually good prospects (Gamboa and Sheidt aside) then why the * are we not continuing in this vein?
    Because Muh English Premier League, thats why.