1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Valencia, UEFA Europa League Last 32, Thurs 14 Feb 8pm ko Live BT Sports 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Feb 10, 2019.

Discuss Celtic v Valencia, UEFA Europa League Last 32, Thurs 14 Feb 8pm ko Live BT Sports 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. angusceltic67

Ah well it was good while it lasted, but lets face it at this stage in the competition we were living on borrowed time, would like to have seen a bit more fight last night though. For the away leg i would like to see some of the kids and fringe players getting a run out as there's no point kidding ourselves on that we have a chance of coming away with a 2 or 3 nil victory.

At least now we can concentrate on the treble and then we will be back in the CL come July, which will seem like no time at all.

HH.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I wasn't all that impressed by Valencia tbh , we were our own worst enemy maybe the worst home performance we've had in Europe in years.

Gyp Rosetti and John Bhoy79 like this.
  3. James Gold Member Gold Member

Valencia weren't great but done us tactically. Christie McGregor and Forrest couldn't get in the game at all leaving Jozo Boyata and Broony to force passes that were never on

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  4. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Just seen that Club Brugge, a team with a smaller budget and wage bill than ours, beat the supposedly mighty Salzburg. Puts into perspective how incompetent we've become again in Europe against anything but the weaker sides. I said at the time we made Salzburg look better than they are at CP and I feel the same about Valencia last night although their full strength 11 will be a better side.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Here he is.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Because we don’t see them when we win.

7. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    It's like lookalikes put the shirt on a euro game. Weak, inept, scared. We had more than enough to match them but no self belief.

Can't understand why some fans just accept it and say we are above our station.
    We have outdone teams with bigger financial muscle in the past.no self belief. We have ZERO when it comes to the crunch.

Hey but it's fine, we can hide away in Scotland and keep winning and going for a * treble treble (zzzzz) in what is effectively a one horse race...and then we wonder why no players of any callibre want to come here or stay here.

HH88 likes this.
  8. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I was actually impressed with Valencia. They closed us down in dangerous areas, passed the ball well, and took their 2 chances easily.

At times their one touch football made us look very average.

It's just annoying that Parkhead used to scare a lot of top European sides. Now everyone would be happy to get us in the draw.

Domestic football has always been the priority for me, and Europe is simply a sideshow and a chance to earn a few £.

9. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Yet again, and not for the first time in Europe at home under BR, I was disgusted by what I witnessed last night. Totally shat the bed. We looked phased by the crowd, not Valencia! Arguably, we played anti-football when we had possession. Countless sideways and back passes that have been so evident in many games. You can give some credit to Valencia for part of that by limiting space, but another toothless performance which is unacceptable in my book and once again another game where BR has no plan B.

Disgraceful

Yet BATE Borisov who haven't spent more than fifteen million can beat Arsenal? Rodgers is clueless in Europe.

10. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Having forked out a fair bit for a trip to Valencia next week I don’t agree about the kids and fringe players.
    Also, this good while it lasted attitude is exactly what the board want from us- it gets you nowhere.
    £30 million sitting in the bank and we’re supposed to be grateful to watch that *.

wee green dug and HH88 like this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I find we play better when we have * all to loose. Last night we had something to loose. Played *. Early goal and we will win. 3 early goals though and we may * the bed before 90 :56:

Mon the early goal!!

12. angusceltic67

Look mate, I'm trying to hold onto some hope that we can maybe get an away goal early on weather the storm and then anythings possible, but you have to be realistic we're playing a team that faces top level Spanish opposition week in week out, while we ply our trade against the likes of ST Mirren and Dundee. The Obvious answer would be to have a bunch of influential big money men for to push for us to join the EPL, but that would be a bitter pill to swallow for too many fans and I include myself in that category.

Its a catch 22.

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

We were outclassed. Tactically, mentally and physically.

They knew exactly how we play domestically as just sat deep in midfield giving us no space to play through, forced us wide and doubled up on Sinclair and Forrest. It worked a treat. For me, the midfielders have to be braver on the ball, turn and face a man and play a forward pass - take some responsibility.

Valencia looked calm and assured the whole game, whereas we were on edge and shrunk further into a shell the more the game went on - bar a handful of performances, we have seen this a lot from Rodgers teams in Europe. We pay the opponent far too much respect and if they have quality like that they WILL exploit it and punish us.

Being outplayed though is one thing, but being out muscled and outfought by an away side is unnacceptable for me. If there's one thing we can match them for its hunger, desire to win 50/50s, and physicality. Some of our young bhoys need to scrap a bit more at that level and unsettle these classy players. We had a couldran last night but the players need to thrive in that environment and not shrink like they did. And Rodgers needs to learn how to inspire them how to be an effective underdog.

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully have KT back.

I don’t think it’s over yet I think if we get the first goal over there then it back on.

Bain

Toijan
    Jozo
    Ajer
    KT

McGregor
    Christie

Forrest
    Weah
    Sinclair

Burke

15. Cmcgregor90

Not really a threat infront of goal are they? What they done good was press us high and defended well but i would put that down toour creativity in final third aswell

16. Cmcgregor90

I habe noticed it with every european team thats visited the last few years the fitness of the salzburg players was frightening to see

BigWilly likes this.
  17. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    For professionals fitness should never be something lacking

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ajer should have played, if we wanted to carry the ball out of the defense.

JC Anton likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Can’t wait until it’s McGregor who plays deep-lying playmaker..

Had to play Broonie but he’s done at that level.

Taz likes this.
  20. joemc

We have to assess teams on all their merits like the bookies do prior to playing them , set up accordingly, we should be able to drop preferred attacking players to put others in who will make us more defensive and harder to go through and counter attack ,similar to wot they did to us ,and real Madrid did to Ajax, its the way forward .