1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Valencia, UEFA Europa League Last 32, Thurs 14 Feb 8pm ko Live BT Sports 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Feb 10, 2019.

Discuss Celtic v Valencia, UEFA Europa League Last 32, Thurs 14 Feb 8pm ko Live BT Sports 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. tez mctic

Now yer talkin..number 8 and celebrate

2. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Dunno how many times the ball was played into Burke and he couldn’t make it stick. ( he’s not a lone striker). How hard is it to hold the ball up? If the opposition player comes in the back it’s a free kick.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yet you joined like 6 months ago. Which PBM are you? :56:

4. tez mctic

He's been around lot longer than that mate usually sound posts:50:

5. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    So happy to see the forum post elitists out here. "Well you've been a member for 3 years but only posted twice after losses. * outta here!" Who the * cares? And why is anyone not entitled to post more after we lose? There are typically more talking points after a loss and more things in the team for us to critique.

Boruc17 likes this.
  6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not judging him, mate. I'm sure he's probably a good poster. But he said "for years" yet under his avatar it says "joined Aug 2018". I find that curious.

7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    The reason I don’t post much on this tbh...very clique forum it seems

DoTheBroony likes this.
  8. Onefootwonder

It just looks really bad when "fans" are nowhere to be seen, then come on to be negative and get little digs in after a loss.

They wouldn't stand out so much as outsiders if they did join in at other times and didn't have the same style of posting.

It is always after a loss people with little posts become vocal. They won't be here on Sunday.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  9. Richmal

* get focussed on what is most important everyone...... the treble treble and 10 in a row!.....get right behind Brendan and the team.....we were never going to beat Valancia, so * wake up....... STOP THE NEGATIVITY RIGHT * NOW!....RIGHT * NOW!

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  10. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Depressing performance. Especially because we all know that we can do better. Even with some of our best players injured, there are no excuses for that result.

I understand the hesitancy with changing something that appears to be working, but Valencia isn’t St. Johnstone. And clearly something started falling apart after the first 19 minutes. If it isn’t working, you have to address and change it.

Pardon the wall-o-text to follow…

These were our issues I felt we had tonight, in descending order:

1) The squad doesn’t having experience playing against teams of equal stature. I know some may disagree with this assessment, but I strongly believe we have the players to compete with teams like Valencia when we show up; we’re just not used to having to do this. When we have to keep a high level of concentration for the full 90 minutes, games like these show how much we need this kind of experience. Would love it if we could play teams like this every week, honestly.

2) Possession isn’t everything. Concentration and awareness are. We had something like 60+% of the ball and didn’t do enough with it in the final third. Maybe that’s a credit to Valencia, or maybe it just highlights the first point. But we also gave away the ball unnecessarily to add to what little possession Valencia had on their own, which they were able to convert into something. Just painful to watch.

3) BR not adapting to the match as it’s unfolding against our favor. We only used 2 out of 3 subs and they also felt like the wrong subs at the wrong times. Obviously it’s easier to say in hindsight (totally acknowledge that), but taking off Sinclair didn’t feel like the right move, even in the moment. I could see Broony or Christie going off, but it seemed like there were more pressing problems to address first. At HT, we should have swapped for Hayes for Izzy. We then should have taken off Burke and put on Weah or Eddy at 60 minutes or so if things were still not shaping up.

4) Shouldn’t the bhoys have played out that first goal rather than holding off, hoping for an offside call? It was too close to let off the gas. We can’t rely on this in any match, domestic or otherwise.

5) Backline awareness was equally woeful for that second goal. Boyata loses concentration to look to see if he had cover when he should have just made a tackle. Jozo not looking behind himself at all to sense the danger approaching, and then just standing there watching it going in. Izzy just out of pace and out of sorts. Poor Bain didn’t have a chance there.

6) I list this last because it shouldn’t be an excuse for our performance but I do believe we would have had a much better outcome if this weren’t an ongoing issue at the club: injuries affecting our starting lineup. First and foremost, KT was sorely missed today. Also think Rogic or Ntcham (starting or as a sub) for Christie would have had an impact – they are proven big game players.

Cheers to the GB for singing on despite the horror show. Hope we kick on this weekend… This will be tough to recover from, but I believe that the bhoys can bounce back. YNWA!

Easter Rd Davie and RI Bhoy like this.
  11. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    One big thing for me tonight was the conditioning, if we are going to properly adapt to Roger's system then we need better fitness, you could see a big difference between us and the Valencia players by the end

12. Dembele the next messi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    The sooner Tierney is back the better izzaguire is finished he should be hunted after that performance.
    He made 1 forward pass and got in 1 cross which was shocking!

13. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

LEE RIGBY THE DRUMMER...

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Exactly.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It was a genuine question, no need to get all defensive. I am genuinely curious as to what motivates people to completely ignore posting after big wins, league titles, trebles, double trebles, numerous hunskelpings etc, yet log in seconds after a defeat?

Most of the time it's not constructive criticism either. It's over the top, personal, disrespectful drivel.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  16. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Nice to have a few wee nights in Europe each season but unfortunately the game is rigged as far as the latter stages go. Maybe when they bring out Europa League 2 we'll be one of the big dogs bullying the likes of yer Lillestroms and yer Spartak Quazimodos.

Until then I'm happy to have it over and down with before March so we can concentrate on our domestic duties. Got a treble to defend and zombies to dominate.

17. Kurt 2112

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Brown needs to go. Not good enough anymore. Love him as much as anyone but my * what a shocking performance.

18. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Spot on mate.

19. TheHappyLoss

That was pathetic, did * all

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    In all honesty... valencia played us like a fiddle.

We were right up their holes and making them look painfully average the first 15 minutes. What did they do?

They broke up the rhythm. They started play acting, hitting the deck, rolling around.

After 3 or 4 of those our midfield stepped off. Allowed them more space and they started their pressing game.

THIS... is our major flaw... both domestically and in europe.

When teams press us high we * it. Playing out from the back is fine if you have world class ball playing defenders. We dont.

When even * average sides like sevco get in our faces, close us down and nip away at our defensive line its only a matter of time before the obvious poor quality we have at the back * it. Panic passes are made, stray balls go to opposition strikers and more importantly, confidence goes to * and players start pkaying it safe instead of sticking to the plan.

This wasnt helped by the fact that our full backs looked like they were playing for the opposition. I cant count how many times Tolijand and izzy gave the ball away. In fact i cant think of a singke time tolijan made a successful forward pass.

We were * yes. But again this is jyst as much to do with BR's inability to be pragmatic when it comes europe as it does the players.