1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football Manager 2019

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by RabS, Oct 7, 2018.

Discuss Football Manager 2019 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. M 67

* right off. Was really enjoying my save there but didn’t realise I must’ve accidentally clicked on someone else to negotiate a new contract for Ajer (which I never do). * put a £20m release clause in and he’s offski. * * man

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  2. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Turns out HSV were willing to sell Arp. I fear I may have spent a tad too much on him - £33m rising to £47.5m, but I couldn't resist the lure of the nation's best young striker. £6m is clauses which won't be met until far off into the future - 50 league goals and 20 Mannschaft caps, with the rest being a lump £8.5m after another 38 league appearances.

Decided to cash in on Alex Mula after a season of choppy form. Got newly-promoted Stoke to hand over £19.75m for him, which represents a tidy profit on the £5.75m I paid to get him from Malaga. Looked to the ripe ranks of Dinamo Zagreb for his replacement, snapping up the very promising Antonio Marin for an initial £13.75m rising to £16.75m.

[​IMG]

He really looks the part. Scored on Bundesliga debut in an away win at Hertha, though unfortunately is out injured for 3-5 weeks now with a twisted ankle.

Only made two other permanent sales, Hoger to Bochum for £1.7m and Schmitz to Freiburg for an initial £3.4m.
    Have an absolute fleet of players out on loan, netting us a grand total of £27m in fees over the course of the season (along with some handy salary relief, keeping our wage bill down to just £28.65m which is the 13th-lowest in the league). Couldn't find another loan for Murgia so decided to give the backup B2B spot to him, sending Gerhardt out on loan instead. Got Bremen to cough up £6.5m in fees for him over a two-season loan, along with 100% of his wages.

Made the bold decision to deliberately weaken our depth at LB in order to promote Noah Katterbach to the first team rather than loaning him out. He's taken up Petretta's spot as the backup to Hector, with Petretta heading out on loan to Hannover who paid £3m for the privilege (along with 100% wages). Will probably bring Petretta back into the fold once Hector is no longer good enough for a spot. This is short-term pain long-term gain territory, really wan't Katterbach to succeed and think he'll benefit from our coaching setup more so than starting for a second division side.

Sadly had to loan Terodde out as following the Arp purchase I had four first team strikers on the books, one too many, and there were absolutely no takers for Josh Sargent. Sargent though is actually ahead of Terodde on current ability, and being paid a whole lot less (£8.5k p/w vs £32.5k), so if you remove the sentiment I have for the man who fired us out of the second division it's actually the most logical + fiscally efficient move to make.

My Europa League is very fun on paper, including CL regulars Basel, Feyenoord, and some Ukranian outfit I've never heard of. Should be competitive. Have started our league campaign with back-to-back 1-0 league wins, away to Hertha as mentioned earlier and at home to Braunschweig.

[​IMG]

Very happy with my squad depth, most positions are brimming with youngsters primed to get better over the coming years. Think we should be in the hunt for top 4 glory.

Klopp has hit the market big time at Bayern, snapping up Brandt, Werner, Martial and Agbo for a total outlay of £183m. Benitez seems to be having a mass clear out at Dortmund, getting rid of Sancho, Witsel, Akanji, Sosa, Dahoud, Diallo and a few others for a total income of £189m. Bit skeptical about the caliber of his signings so I quite fancy us to seriously challenge their top 4 status.

Leverkusen look set for a pretty solid title defence, although Heiko Herrlich has left to take up the vacant Mannschaft job. They replaced him with RB Salzburg’s Marco Rose. Despite losing Brandt they’re looking strong as they didn’t make any other major sales, and they’ve splashed out £98m on the likes of Laimer, Sosa, Harit and Ascacibar.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  3. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Is signed Marin for Celtic for under £1m at the start of my save. What a player he’s turned out to be, Barca interested.

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  4. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Yeah im still on my beta save, in 2024 havent started any other save always stick with my original game.

Peej and Doogs. like this.
  5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

How the * is every * getting KT to stay he was greeting about wanting to go to PSG half way through my first season. Made him my highest paid player and he’s now thinking he wants to play at a higher level. Wee * :giggle1:

6. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Also been promising all my best players I want to challenge for the CL in 20/21 so they sign up, I better get the finger out, in the Europa Semis against Monaco, were on the right track I suppose :giggle1:

7. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Was * impressed by his debut but after that he's missed the bulk of the season through injury. Nothing major, mind, but the twisted ankle followed by a serious gashed leg followed by a twisted knee. Has only had 3 league starts to Pellegrini's 6 (my other LW). Hoping he has a solid run of games when he recovers.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Right lovely people been thinking about getting this, but I'm also probably needing a new laptop - playing the last year's game it was slow as * (for instance, was taking between 5-10mins to start a new game etc etc)

I'm not forking out a fortune, so what's a decent spec one to play this game at a decent pace?

9. M 67

Really? Keep praising training, form etc. Make him vice captain. EVERY save I have he gets Celtic POTY and you’ll become his fav personnel.

Find that KT McGregor Forrest Brown never ever make a fuss. Whenever they raise a concern, after just opening up the chat screen bit they pipe doon.

You need to sook up the players arses that you want. Once you become their fav, it’s plain sailing !

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Been doing aw that mate :giggle1: had bids of like 60/70 million in January and knocked them back he went mental and I told him I wanted to challenge for CL and he seemed happy enough but jo it’s saying he wants to play at a higher level :giggle1:

11. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Infact the board had accepted a bid and I managed to persuade them to reject any that came in :giggle1: *.

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    KT was a piece of * to keep happy, once every so often he makes a small noise, but approaching him first, offering a new contract, or making captain over the retiring Brown etc and he is golden.

I was helluva surprised in the Beta save at how easy it was to even keep Boyata for another couple years.

13. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Here are the minimum system requirements.

Football Manager 2019 PC system requirements
    • OS: Windows 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (1803/April 2018 Update) – 64-bit or 32-bit
    • Processor: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core or AMD Athlon – 2.2 GHz +
    • Memory: 2GB RAM
    • Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Storage: 7GB available space
    https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news...ndroid-and-ios-release-date-announced-1895985

14. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    When January rolls around I feel like Joey in Friends singing the 'morning is here' song from his window, but replace 'morning' with 'transfers.'

Transfers are here, transfers are here... the sky is clear, transfers are here.

Though mainly by necessity rather than choice in this instance, as I'm trying to horde money for buying Keaton Parks at the end of the season (Benfica have cottoned on to his quality, so won't extend the loan another year - ergo I have to pony up 25.5m as they're unlikely to take less than the clause).

As for necessity, we've been plagued by injuries to a very specific subset of player: the second-choice wide man. First off it was Marcel Risse, who endured two bouts of knee tendinitis in 2020 (April, October) before succumbing to a hip injury during a match in December which required a 2-3 month layoff.

I had to flog Berardi like a workhorse as I had no other starting-caliber option at RW, though on the plus side this mean't more sub minutes for whichever striker was on the bench as going to an asymmetric 4-2-2-2 became my default sub whenever Berardi's legs went. This situation couldn't continue, though, and despite Risse returning mid-Feb I decided that the time was right to move on from him as his attributes were wasting away. My coaches now considered him mere 2. Bundesliga quality.

Unfortunately there was little interest in him on the market, not for his nominal value anyway. In theory he's worth 7.5m but in practice the best - and only - deal I could conjure up was a 2.2m sale to Rubin Kazan. And I'll also be covering 13k of his wages for the next 16 months. But all in all it's worth it for the sake of the coffers, I've calculated that it roughly represents a 3.5m boost all told when you include the savings we'll make on his wages (he still had a season and a half on his Koln contract).

Since I'm in austerity mode after the Arp move I tried to find a relative bargain to replace him - this is after all only a second-choice player behind Berardi. But I couldn't resist the lure of finding someone really good, and with a bit of unfulfilled potential. I briefly settled on Sampdoria's Patrick Roberts and was on the verge of paying 20 odd million for him, before eventually cooling my interest on account of his low decision making and the fact that he was also in negotiations with Southampton. We can't really compete with Prem wages. He would have chosen us as his agent came back asking for alterations to my offer as we were his preferred club, but by that point I'd already moved on...

To Dennis Man. Brilliant name, and doubles my Romanian contingent. He was at AS Monaco and on the transfer list, seemingly due to them just buying someone else and him getting fed up with not playing. But his first two seasons there were really good form-wise and he was averaging over 7.7 with Steua prior to his move. Snared him on loan with a 9.5m buy option. He'* the ground running really quickly, scoring on debut as a sub against Mainz and assisting a goal in his first start.

On the other wing I unfortunately lost my second-choice LW Pellegrini to a dislocated shoulder, putting him on the shelf for two months. Really enamoured with the kid's potential but not so much with his form, he rarely has an impact and has managed just 1 goal and 5 assists across 39 Bundesliga appearances. Granted, quite a few of those were as a sub, but he's not really up to standard yet. Plumped for Lazio's Ezequiel Barco on a 6-month loan, have a 29.5m buy option but that's a bit steep so they'll hopefully be open to an extension to the loan come the summer. Will then try to get Pellegrini out on loan somewhere to see if he can develop as a starter for someone.

[​IMG]

First half of the season has been really positive on the form front. Bayern are essentially walking away with the title as the other two clubs involved in last season's title race are enduring rather torrid results, whilst Dortmund are stagnating and not really going anywhere. We've assumed the role of best-of-the-rest by default really, as we have no chance of matching Bayern's form short of them collapsing down the stretch. But the hunt for CL football is well and truly on and I'm tentatively counting the prize money we'll get from a runners-up finish (86.6m to be exact, which would represent a huge jump on the 60m we got for coming 5th).

Huge advocate of Gladbach going down, btw. Still fuming over their firing of me on FM18.

Piatek endured a turgid start to the season, took him until mid November to finally score his first open play goal in the league. He's largely back on song now but has been superseded as first-choice by the brilliant form of Fiete Arp, who has taken to the club with relish and is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Currently has 11 league goals to his name from 11 starts and 8 sub appearances, whilst also notching up 2 across the Europa League group and 2 in his sole Pokal appearance.

Speaking of the Europa League, we navigated the group easily enough with 4 wins and 2 draws, and will be facing Olympiakos in the first knockout round.

The worldwide scouting knowledge graphic seems spruced up somehow compared to previous years. I like it. Certainly looks more detailed, may be wrong but I think previously you just got a colour for each continent rather than specific countries.

[​IMG]

LM67 likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

17. LM67

Beat Chelsea 2-0 at home in the first leg of the last 16. After 13 minutes of the game at The Bridge, we were level on aggregate and I began to fear the worst. However, a great comeback had us level at 2-2 in the second leg by halftime. They scored a late winner on the night but off we went to the Quarters.

Next up PSG.

We put in our best away performance of the campaign, winning 2-0 with an attacking 4-3-1-2 formation. We then won the home leg 3-0 to comfortably progress to the quarters.

Next up, Liverpool - same semi opponents as last season.

Last year’s tie was tough so I knew it would be an even tougher game now that we were using 2 up front formations with limited success away from home. Thankfully we were at home first, but like last year, fell behind to a goal from the prolific Milinkovic-Savic. Our response was emphatic, scoring 3 without reply to take a 3-1 lead to Anfield.

We started the second leg with the same formation as we used in Paris, however I was slightly more cautious and adopted a ‘positive’ mentality. By halftime we were 1-0 down (Savic again!) and had mustered a mere 2 attempts to their 16! Time for a change of formation. We switched to a flat 4-4-2 but this made no difference as Salah put them 2 up on the night. We were heading out on away goals.

With 15 to go I went all out attack with 3 at the back, 1 centre mid, 2 attacking mids, 2 wingers and 2 up front.

It made no difference.

Until the 90th minute.

Erling Haland popped up with a vital away goal. They scored in injury time, but thankfully it was disallowed.

We head to the CL final for the 4th season in a row and are looking for a hattrick of titles.

Our opponents - FC Barcelona

18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye awrite :giggle1:

19. LM67

You anything useful to say on this page mate or you just being a wee pr*ck?

20. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Decided to buy our stadium back at the start of the season. Was dreading the cost and turns out I was right to: 107m. * *. At least the tax man won't be seeing anything from us this year, as our profitable season is well and truly a loss-making one now.

By my calculations, 107m is the equivalent to about 23 years worth of the rent we were paying previously. So only a couple of decades before the purchase starts paying off. Oh well, we can at least now expand whenever we want to without having to get permission from the council. And that's 107m I can't spend on hording regens, which makes the save more challenging.

Speaking of the save...

I'm going to get the negative out of the way first, because we were * rubbish in Europe. Maybe that's overselling it as we were perfectly fine in the group, and breezed past Olympiakos, but we then exited in the most frustrating way possible against Leipzig. a 0-0 draw, followed by a 0-0 draw, and then a peno shootout loss. * shambles.

[​IMG]

As for the league campaign, it was terribly boring. But that's a good thing. All of last season's top four bar Bayern had terrible seasons. Leverkusen's title defence was apalling, losing Herrlich and Brandt shouldn't have resulted in a bottom half finish. Leipzig were nowhere. BVB missed out on Europe entirely, and fired Benitez after losing the Pokal final to Eintracht. Suspect they would have sacked him regardless.

Once we climbed to 2nd our position was basically set in stone. Spent the entire season looking at a roughly 10-point gap to Bayern ahead of us, and the same margin to the team occupying 3rd. There was no real jeopardy, we just coasted along unable to match Bayern's pace, but similarly setting a pace that left us well-assured of a Champions League spot long before we actually clinched one mathematically.

It was an indulgent season, in essence, I was able to deliberately play kids down the stretch in order to accelerate their development. Katterbach got quality minutes with 20 league appearances, and I started benching Horn in order to test his anointed successor Adamczyk in the fire of top flight football.

[​IMG]

Onto the tale of the stats tape. Fiete Arp took to the club like a duck to water, displacing Piatek as the undisputed first choice striker. 23 goals in all comps is a solid return, though his best is yet to come as he continues to develop. Bit disappointed with Piatek's numbers and they're not just a product of him being second choice now, he actually started the season as first choice but his early form was woeful. Still, he's a useful weapon to bring on from the bench.

Berardi largely justified his spot in the side. He's got the starting RW role nailed down for the foreseeable as Dennis Man isn't likely to overtake him and is more of a useful backup. Pleased that I decided to give Murgia a run in the side rather than hanging on to Gearhardt. Has a habit of popping up with important goals. He's actually outperforming Ozcan despite being his nominal backup.

[​IMG]

Arp claims Torschutzenkonig honours, though he left it to the final match-day to overtake Kramaric, as he tallied a brace against Leipzig.

Came to the conclusion that Keaton Parks, for all his merits, is not worth spending 25.5m for. I'm not in the business of paying starter money for a second choice, and unfortunately the defensive side of his game isn't quite up to snuff despite my efforts. He'll depart with a solid track record, two and a half seasons of useful service, costing the club a frankly criminal 1.5k p/w. We've gotten more than our money's worth.

So if Parks isn't the type of player worth spending my entire season's budget on, who is? I'll tell you who: Arne Maier. He's a cut above Koziello and can also fulfill the defensive DLP role I require of him. Not a cheap deal at an initial 29m rising to 47.5, but I'm happy to spend that sort of money on a bona fide starter who will overtake Koziello in the pecking order, rather than merely supplement him as Parks would have had I bought him.

Goals for season 4 are to mount a proper 80+ point title challenge, and to have a nice long run in the Champions League.