1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Who can stroll into our squad? We’ve a guy who’s scored 9 in 13 games and cosy £9m. You’ll be struggling to stroll in infront of him.

2. Celticbhoy97

Any 4-5 million striker in his prime (24-28) should bag a decent amount of goals with the amount of high quality chances we create domestically.

Not doubting Edouard will be come good and will justify his price tag, but to rest our main bulk of goalscoring on a 20 y/o in a title winning campaign isn't feasible. My main concern with his price tag is, will we ever get to see the £9 million pound worth of potential we bought. when we turn him over to a another side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They won’t be strolling in infront of him.

Easily.

‘Come good’ 9 in 13, 5 in 10 in Europe, top goalscorer, high up the assist charts.

What do you mean come good?

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What is a 4 to 5 million quid striker?

Teemu Pukki would cost more than that, he isn't the answer as much as any generic 4 to 5 million striker wouldn't be either. We need to scout someone who is young, has potential and is looking for the next step in his career.

Hammy89, StPauli1916 and littlekennie like this.
  5. Celticbhoy97

I think we've mistook what i meant by stroll in to side, I was meaning we can afford a striking project like Edouard in the 1st half of the season of his loan, a striker who could come into the side and have an impact from day one is what we're needing in Jan.

If you look at Stats of Edouard's expected goals and assists from this season, he's over performing in both, so a drop in form inevitable, untill his game and positional awareness grows with experience

6. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Hopefully we are scouting the continent for another find like Edouard and have someone already in place , either that or we'll need to plunder the championship or EPL for someone proven.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    What was his expected goals and assists? Never seen that before. I think he’s only going to kick on from here. Pretty much carried on his ration from last season.

We need somebody who could compliment him I think. Someone who can play both ahead of him and with him.

8. Celticbhoy97

He only creating a high quality goalscoring chance every other game (0.53 xG) comparing that to the fact his goals to game ratio is 70% this season. means he scores a good number of his goals from either goalkeeping errors or shots from unfavourable positions. Dembeles before he left was basically (O.75 xG)

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’d like to see how they qualify ‘high quality goalscoring chance’

10. Celticbhoy97

Distance from goal, angle from which the shot was taken, Header or shot, type of assist ect, its the most comprehensive stat in observing attacking players performance imo

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It's a trendy stat but, for me, the only stat that matters with a striker are goals and to a much lesser extent assists.

Tommy25 and StPauli1916 like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely not mate, Larsson was 10x the player Ally McCoist was.

McCoist scored - 405 goals in 777 games
    Henke scored - 434 in 768

Now that tells you Larsson was better but not just how much better, add in assists and you start getting more of a picture of just how much of a team player Larsson was. Then stuff like heat maps, then ball retention, running, passing, where they’ve shot, chances created, men beat etc etc.

I know what you’re getting at but goals scored is very important obviously but it doesn’t paint a picture of a player like you can with other sort of stats.

It’s like when people try and say Ronaldo is better than Messi, it’s when you hit out with the above to show just how much * that is.

It’s not the be all and end all but its always handy having stats backing up what you’ve seen with your own eyeballs.0

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Context. Larsson was a far better striker than McCoist not only because that’s just a simple fact but within the context of who against and what he done against the bigger and better sides and in the pressure moments.

Comparing an English Conference level striker with someone playing for Barca purely on goal stats when they have the same goals to games will yield the same result but ultimately, at the highest level, a striker will live and die by how many goals he scores. It’s why Ronaldo, for example, is seen as one of the GOAT’s because despite having talent in other areas he’s adapted to becoming a goal machine and that’s what history will tell.

Tommy25, StPauli1916 and Liam Scales like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’m not 100% sure about that. You never hear Gerd Muller getting talked about as the greatest of all time even though his goal record is ridiculous. It’s all those other things that define just how great a player is. You can have great goalscorers and then great players.

Am I making sense here? I feel like I’m not explaining myself properly :56:

15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    watched the Man Utd u19 game today. Some really impressive players in there. Couple of boys stood out for me. Angel Gomes, CM, strolled the game. And Tahith Chong. Played Wide right. Very good with the Ball at his feet.

16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Few decent frees with players who are not done like rossi and bojan has been flouted about here before he is on loan at alaves and is free to talk on a ore contract come the window

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Both are highly rated and in about the first team just now. No chance.

18. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Gotta have trust to deliver us a striker , Edouard and Dembele the last 2 since Brendan has come in.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Dembele was under deula really he was scouted when deila was their... Though your point is still valid Rodgers knew who to sign to replace Dembele... Eduard and its worked out better tha. I thought
    Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

20. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    do yo think Ronny would have made Dembele the player he was ? interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.