1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvin Compper

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 19, 2017.

Discuss Marvin Compper in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    1m for a 32 year old struggling for game and that had previous fall outs with the Leipzig manager (who got them 2nd place) should have had alarm bells ringing. At least Toure was on a free and had good vibes about him, even if he was a * footballer by the time he arrived, he seemed to be a good influence to the team morale. Having Compper about Lennoxtown on the other hand would be a nightmare, probably a whingy *, every * hiding from him no wanting to talk to him- he's doing the conor mcgregor walk about the place thinking he runs the joint, when in fact he can't get a game ahead of * Jack Hendry.

2. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    higher? lower? An experienced German player coming over to live in Scotland, I doubt hes coming over for 10 grand a week. Our average weekly wage is 14 grand a week, Compper will surely be near that 20 grand mark- especially since he is only on a 2 year deal .

3. shieldsybhoy

To be fair, Toure was class in that very first CL qualifying campaign.

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Hope this * gets stabbed tbh

Rendog and Crilly like this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    40 grand..

6. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    No NO NO NO please don't go there please!!!! Where do people get this from??! 12 goals conceded in 3 games, crap against Barca (7-0), fine against Man City (although maybe could've been a bit quicker at their 3rd) and cost us the game at home v Monchengladbach with 2 of his errors leading to goals. I genuinely find it strange where people think he did well for us in Europe? maybe you're thinking of Denayer?

Edit: sorry you said qualifying, not group stages- he was *

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Peej likes this.
  7. Pacific Ocean Blue

I'm not saying he was class like the other guy because he was far from it, but he came in and settled our defence early on in the season. by the time we were playing Barca and Monchengladbach he was done

8. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He was mate, I was looking forward to him playing in the team - I think he got injured and wasn't the same after that.

9. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    We never kept 1 clean sheet in the 5 game hes started for us in the league , although like you I do vaguely remember he wasn't terrible but no where near this fantastic European CB that people have a perception of. In qualifying he was caught out of position of their first goal at home and Gordon had to get him out * on multiple occasions but then the opposite happened away from home, Toure played excellent and Gordon played like Gordon usually does in Europe- So I'm taking it that was the game everybody was impressed with him. Jeez looking back on it look at the last goal we conceded-

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No he wasn't. :56:

11. Crilly

Haahahaahhahaaabaahaaaha Quality

12. Hail_hail6767

Guy doesn't have any respect for himself leech

13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

14. Keano88

I blame Congerton.

15. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan says blame him, so it should all be forgotten about.

Marvin your forgiven!

:31:

16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I actually think we'll done, Rodgers. Not every signing can be a hit. I'm glad he came out and shouldered the blame, as he should.

As much criticism he gets for signing someone like Commper, it's offset by the form of Forrest et al.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  17. NM67

Embarrassing.

Disappointed in Brendan here. Resorting to the benefits of the younger players having him around is just a weak excuse. Wasting huge amounts of money on a dud.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was a Toure replacement, part of the remit of his signing was definitely to provide experience in the squad for the younger guys.

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I blame Congerton for stuff on a daily basis, he needs to just * off. But he is Brendan’s mate so we are stuck with the useless *.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has insisted that he shoulders the blame for the signing of Marvin Compper.

The 33-year-old signed for Celtic last January but has played just one game for the club - a Scottish Cup tie against Morton last March.

Rodgers maintained this summer that he was available on a free signing, refuting the alleged £1m fee that had been paid for the former RB Leipzig defender.

However, it is unlikely that Compper will play for Celtic and Rodgers has maintained that any fingers pointed over the signing have to be in his direction

Asked about the player at the AGM yesterday, chairman Ian Bankier joked ‘next question...’ before Rodgers offered an explanation.

“As the leader of the team I will always assume responsibility for every single player who comes in to the club,” said Rodgers. “Marvin was brought in at a time when I thought we needed experience to help us with the young centre halves we had. Unfortunately he came in January and within his first week picked up an injury.

“Really since that moment he has struggled for fitness. In that period other players have come in and performed well like young Kris Ajer. With the unpredictability of his fitness we had to sign another centre half, [Filip] Benkovic, who has been fantastic since he came in. So if you want to blame someone ‘blame me’ as it is just one of those unfortunate things.

“Off the field he has offered good encouragement and support to our younger players. He is very professional. He has played at a very good level and that’s why we brought him in. “