1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ronny Deila Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Glasgow_Bhoy88, Jun 6, 2014.

Discuss The Ronny Deila Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I thought Moussa failed the medical at Spurs?

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I still love him :84:

The67Sound and Sturm Bhoy like this.
  3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  4. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Correct and guilty as charged......he'll always be sound as * Ronny!!

5. Smithy

Actually Spurs refused to pay the £5M for him.

Don't really see the relevance of them being at City and PSG. Not as if either of them were going to, or were even close to breaking into the first team.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    They never refused Fulham pulled the plug due wanting him back on loan, I already posted the article here it is again.

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...-dembeles-6m-move-to-tottenham-over-loan-back

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    No they didn’t. They were already higgly rated enough to be at teams like that.

8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Find it difficult to believe a £5m player would get the needed amount of chances in a financially strong English team. I mean he would have to have played the City and Hunskelpers games every time. Plus possibly the greatest Scottish league goal ever scored

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny roar!!!!

10. Sturm Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johan Mjällby
  11. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Oooohhhhh Ronny Ronny

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Played in his style last night as an honour to the man. :fear:

14. Mr. Slippyfist

BRING HIM HOME!!!!

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Some eye for talent on the cheap. Sign him up as a scout since ours can't sign * all since he left.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Celtic manager Ronny Deila has insisted that he wants to return to the Parkhead side to celebrate if they succeed in winning 10-in-a-row. Speaking to the Celtic State of Mind podcast, the Norwegian, who won two titles during his time at the club, has explained that he is willing his former club to reach the milestone.

I really hope so, you understand after being so dominant for so many years, Rangers have started to have a better platform to get better and the other clubs will chase you all the time and then you need to have a very good discipline and culture that is about improvement all the time," he said.

Brendan [Rodgers] is the best manager that Celtic can have so I think if he stays until 10 then I will really want to come and celebrate 10 in a row."

And the former Celtic manager has also explained how he changed Kieran Tierney's position to full-back during his time at Celtic Park, after having previously played as a winger. Tierney was struggling to get game time for the club's reserve team until Deila saw something in him.

"In the beginning he had troubles with his calves, he was always getting cramps," said the Norwegian. "He was a winger in the beginning so I was very clear that for me he was a full back.

"He has to play there because he is so good defensively and so hard to play against but the most important was that he gets his body right and play every week at left full back and then he took steps very quick.

He's one of those players you see is going to reach very far because of his hunger, it was unbelievable

"On the first day of training with the first team the wingers didn't want to play against him it was that tough.

He's a full back that is very good defensively and has the offensive side as well, that's why he is much better that a lot of other full backs because he can defend and attack at the same time.

"I'm very happy to see a player like him because he puts so much effort into being the best he can and he'll get it as well."

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Ronald is welcome back any time.

As he long as he gees us a roar.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Wonder if that bird still has his name on her *?

freitassen, Rydo1888* and ChrisMoh like this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Two-and-a-half years after leaving Celtic, Ronny Deila still thinks about his time at the club most days. “My freedom was taken away from me in Glasgow but I would do it 100 times again if I got the chance,” the Valerenga manager said this week. “My experience at Celtic will stay with me for a lifetime.”

Deila has a new task on his hands — raising up Valerenga into a club that the great city of Oslo can be proud of — but the scars from his two seasons in Scottish football remain. Ultimately, he failed in Glasgow, otherwise he would have stayed longer, though many Celtic fans still hold him in high esteem.

Deila says he was given a tough task when brought in by the Celtic board to replace Neil Lennon in 2014. “When I came to Celtic I had to do a big turnaround in the players,” he says. “Neil Lennon’s team had been successful but it was getting older, it was past its prime, and my job was to bring young players in and develop them. That was why I got the job — the board believed I could develop a younger team.

“So I brought in guys like Kris Ajer, Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, Gary Mackay-Steven and Dedryck Boyata. Plus, I brought Callum McGregor and Tom Rogic into the first team. Both Callum and Tom were at Celtic when I arrived but they weren’t really involved in the top team. Callum had been away on loan but I wanted to put him in the team.

“It was my job to make Celtic younger as well as successful. It was all part of the challenge. My job was to make it work.”

Deila won a league and cup double in his opening season — and but for a piece of refereeing incompetence it would surely have been a treble — but then just the league title in 2015-16, a fact which hastened his departure. “I learned so much as a coach and a person at Celtic,” he says. “I was thrown into a new league and a new culture, and into a much bigger club than Stromsgodset, where I had been.

“What I learned at Celtic, you couldn’t read in any book. Here in Norway, some coaches talk of the pressure we are under. I can guarantee you, that pressure is a small breeze compared to the pressure of managing Celtic.

“I learned how to cope with that pressure. How to play 60 games in a season. How to cope with having to win every weekend. How to [adjust] to a new culture and language. How Scottish football was thinking, and the mentality of the game in Britain. I could tell you 100 things I learnt about myself and football if you gave me the time.

“Maybe what I learnt most was that you must be clear, you must have clarity, as a manager. I think about that every day and try to offer it to my players here at Valerenga. I think I bring more clarity now to my work.”

What remains utterly intriguing about Deila and Celtic is the “what might have been” question. April 19, 2015 became key to his fate. Celtic had already won the League Cup and were marching towards the title, when a refereeing gaffe by Steven McLean denied them a 2-0 Scottish Cup semi-final half-time lead against Inverness Caledonian Thistle, never mind a red card for Josh Meekings, who had denied Leigh Griffiths a goal with his hand.

Had these fateful moments not occurred many — including Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive— believe that Deila would have become only the third manager in Celtic’s history to win a treble. Beating Championship side Falkirk in that year’s Scottish Cup final would surely not have troubled Celtic. So might his fate have been very different but for these chaotic moments?

“You cannot say for certain,” he says. “But it was very painful, not getting that treble. There were seven referees at that match at Hampden and they all missed that handball. It was very tough to take. You don’t know what would have happened in the final but missing out on the treble in this way was painful.

“We had a very strong team in that 2014-15 season. Once we got going we were very hard to beat. The team didn’t know how to lose, it didn’t think about losing. But we were denied that treble and it is history now.”

One other thing is fascinating about Deila’s time. Even now, so much of Brendan Rodgers’s favoured Celtic XI comprises players who were Deila’s players at Celtic. In his opening two seasons in Glasgow Rodgers grafted Scott Sinclair and Moussa Dembélé on to Celtic, but it remained essentially Deila’s team.

Rodgers has achieved so much more than Deila with those players. Does it reflect well or badly on the Norwegian? “Oh, I think it reflects well on me,” he replies forcibly. “Like I said, my job was to bring in young players which I did — Ajer, Armstrong, Christie, Mackay-Steven — and to build a young team. It takes time for young players to develop and now I think you can see how good many of these players are.

“I think Brendan Rodgers is doing the same. I look at the job he is doing, in developing players, and I think he has been fantastic. To win six [domestic] trophies in a row — and it might be seven this weekend — is unbelievable. I am very impressed.”

Two players that Rodgers brought to Celtic were already on Deila’s radar, with much of the groundwork already done. “I tried to get Scott Sinclair to Celtic in 2015 but it couldn’t happen. I spoke to Scott, but I don’t think the money was there at the time. In any case, he wanted to stay in England, and go to Aston Villa.

“We also knew that we could get Moussa Dembélé. We knew about his situation at Fulham, that his contract there was ending, and John Collins and I went down to England to watch him. This wasn’t about me, it was a part of the process we had at Celtic. We wanted to get Dembélé in.”

If the chance ever came round again, would Deila change the way he managed Celtic? “There are lots of things I would do differently. I am a better manager now than I was then. Some things, of course, I would do the same again. But being successful, while also building a young team, is not easy.

“If I ever get the chance to manage again, in Britain or somewhere else in Europe, I think I will show that I am better for the experience I had at Celtic, and that I can handle it. I’m still only 43. There are some nights when I think, ‘I’m stopping this, I’m getting out of this job’, but most of the time I still love being a manager. I might still have another 20 years in this job.

“The one thing I don’t miss about Celtic is my freedom being taken away from me. I value my freedom a lot, but that goes when you are the manager of Celtic, because it is such a big job and you are very visible. In Glasgow, you can’t do this, and you can’t go there.

“It’s not like that in Norway. Here, even in a big city like Oslo, they don’t have the same attitude. I can be much freer here, and I like that aspect very much.”