1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

why is huns uefa run more lucrative???

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drumbhoy, May 29, 2008.

Discuss why is huns uefa run more lucrative??? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drumbhoy

what has been the difference with the huns' uefa cup run than ours?? i ask this as when celtic were knocked out by basle from the champs league,qualifiers in 2003 it was mooted by all and sundry as being a financial disaster,what with the high transfer fees for incoming players (lennon,thompson ,hartson etc).we then proceeded to beat good teams on route to the uefa cup playing entertaining football (not anti football). i remember the waves of excitement on route to the final,the new strip being unveiled and mostly all celtic fans in seville wearing one myself included. the money generated from this run ,ie ticket sales and merchandise must have been phenomenal.at the time i do distinctly remember the press stating that despite the run celtic would only earn a couple of millions.
    move fwd 5 years and all of a sudden the huns will earn a massive £20 million plus not counting the transfer fees from hutton etc.my maths aint great but inflation hasnt rocketed that much to have such a difference in earnings!!!
    was it just a press agenda attempting to discredit celtics run or was it (hopefully) celtics board submitting misleading financial figures?

2. Kennedy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Think its probably because they got to the group stages of the champions league, where as we fell at the first hurdle, a good chunk of the £20m would have come from the champions league. Press probably did try to discredit celtics run as well mind you!

3. Ham&Jam

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song so long as Dean Park doesn't sing it.
    Not sure but they got a fair chunk of dosh for reaching the Group Stage in the CL, Celtic didn't. Given that they they then had a succesfull defensive run to the final may have doubled that. Money down a black hole anyway, their finances are *!

4. Drumbhoy

forgot about the fact they reached the actual league thanx for the reminder.that however would have only generated maybe £4 million.the rest doesnt add up to me.

5. Kennedy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Yeah i agree, doesn't really add up, £20m probably an exaggeration from the press.

6. Celtic At H3art

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song.
    The Champions Legaue Group section and thier qualifier, Plus the fact that the UEFA Cup now has like a group section as well as the knock out stage of UEFA Cup.

7. tim park

basel was a qulifing round ,a one off so to speak, but get to the group stages means money,and with the qualifiers means money too,,then the uffa cup group stages gaurenteed 3 home matches then the knockout stages get through a couple of them and your laughing ,get to final and your quids in ,,

if celtic had the format they have now in uffa it would have been better money wise,,

or am i havering with sunstroke

8. Celtic At H3art

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song.

Exactly what i was trying to say. :holygoalie:

9. Drumbhoy

that was the whole idea of the thread,to ask the question of why the difference? thats why we have these forums where people can answer the questions.

10. Ryan67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    answer is pure and simple........................................... David Murray tells lies. btw where is the new superdome he promised in january?

11. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    i think there is a bit of spin as well (bet on it!)

12. Celtic At H3art

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song.

Whit are you banging on about?

13. kennydal

DONT BELIEVE THE PAPERS , they sold hutton a guy that didnt want to leave , what does that tell you

14. zmcfc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenrye, Celtic Symphony, LTPS
    he was very badly treated..I know his uncle well and lets just say this...They were desperate for him to go..Walter wanted to keep him but Murray told him to go or be a sub for the rest of the season...Hutton got the last laugh but...that £9 million bid was on the table for him for a week, but he accepted on the last day to ensure by the time it got transferred etc. the window would have been shut...

I was told this directly from his uncle...

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  15. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The only difference is that they had more home games in Europe this season, thats it!