1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup - Sweden v England - Quarter Final, Sat 7th July KO 3pm

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Marie, Jul 3, 2018.

Discuss World Cup - Sweden v England - Quarter Final, Sat 7th July KO 3pm in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

Well as i have seen, our tactic is going full on defence and punish when we can attack. Keep the opponent have the ball where we want them to have for easy defend. Think about sweden had only about 30-40 % ball in all it games...

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Hopefully you can execute a game plan similar to Germany and even Mexico..

We are relying on you!!!!!.

Celtic Frost likes this.
  3. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

Oh i do hope you did like to?

4. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

Iam * hope so too, if we win it would be the best we have done in many a year..and as a svensk it would mean a....lot!....If there is any English * here, yer mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yesssssssssssssssss..

Celtic Frost likes this.
  6. celtic warrior

Sweden are going to do a Leicester and win the cunting thing.

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Leicester are english so maybe england will :fear:

8. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Seen a video of Jason Cummings celebrating their goal/win against Colombia the other night. The rat should never pull a Scotland top on again, pish and a queen lover. :99:

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe had a coupon on.. :fear:

10. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Or just a DOB.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44689721

12. celtic warrior

I see the arrogance and hype for England that was laying dormant before the world cup is now starting to surface.

The utter * they are splurting out now is unbearable, they've not proved or shown anything of the sort that suggests England can win it.

There was so many issues with the three at the back that Columbia highlighted but didn't exploit fully, Walker getting caught in possession is one that sticks out, the way they conceeded the goal another.

The one thing they all fail to bring up is almost how over confident guys like stones are at passing from the back, so many times he squared it off or played it forward were a Colombian player could have nabbed it from them if they had the legs left later in the game and that is if for argument sake is something an Mbappe would utterly batter England for.

Sweden for start would have looked at how Columbia played and his that forced Kane to come and play as a midfielder for large parts and adopt that, and on top of that they won't be making the same errors defensively that Columbia did and given how England have scored what? 1 goal from open play? Then Sweden may not score themselves but they can easily choke and work England to another penalty shoot out.

Also both England and Columbia were lucky to not have men sent off, was it McGuire I think that followed through and nicked falcao in head? Obviously On the other hand Columbia were lucky not to have the game awarded as a 3-0 default with some ofbthe things they did.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  13. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Really? I thought they looked absolutely untroubled until the 90th min, Walker mistake aside.

The Walker mistake I don't think is some mad relevant point for the Swedes to pick up on, he's a good footballer and usually comfortable on the ball, it was a momentary mistake and not much more for me.

I think their back line is the decent part of their game. McGuire and Stones very comfortable on the ball - It's the attacking side I think is quite poor. Trippier as a RWB is their best creator. Not really good enough.

14. celtic warrior

there was plenty of occasions that I believe stones was most culpable where he was passing between the defence where a Columbia player was in reach of the pass, it's something like that, fair enough Sweden may not utilise but if say they get to the final and they facethe pace and skill of a France or Brazil that type of passing is going to cost them goals.

I don't think their defence is as good and solid is being made out to be, Sweden may not be ones to make that apparent but they don't need to, they can play they game howbthey been in this world cup and that could be enough to take England to another penalty shoot out which I don't think England players will be able to handle again so soon

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Depends what way you look at it, could say those passes were out of reach for the Colombians, as I'm sure they would of got on to them if they were loose.

I don't think it's some world beating defence, but I seen it troubled 2-3 times in open play in 90 mins. Walker mistake, the save that led to the corner and the corner itself. Extra time was different, players naturally tired and mentally * from the late goal. They marshalled Falcao that well we was down picking the ball up half way back to his own goal.

Midfield and creativity is where I see bigger failings.

17. Hadouken

I see no arrogance, maybe Optimism and understandable hype (like Scotland 78) but no arrogance. We're just excited and enjoying the world cup/first quarter final in 12 years. We also know that this is an amazing opportunity to get to a semi final, Sweden are a tough and resilient side who have taken out some big big sides recently but to face them instead of Brazil for a chance at a world cup semi final? Then potentially croatia or Russia instead of France for a shot at the final?

ANY side in the world would have bitten your hands off for an opportunity like that so it's hard not to get excited even though I know Sweden are quietly confident and could easily beat us it's definitely worth the shot.

18. celtic warrior

Sweden frankly deserve more respect then they are being given, everything I'm hearing and reading is practically writing them off as some easy team.

England are assured of nothing, whether they are playing Brazil or Sweden I don't see why they should be so confident, Columbia were shyte bags for the best part of entire game and through those antics caused their own elimination as I don't remember there being any real threat to their goal before the pen.

Yeah it's great England managed to break a pen shootout hoodoo but the overall result needs to be taken into context, Sweden will be far more physical then Columbia and probably a lot stronger as a defensive unit then anything England so far has faced.

This is a team that has scored once in open play for all their attacking talents that's shocking. their creative ability was evident against Columbia which was practically non existent as Kane had to keep dropping deep into midfield for large parts of the game. All of this is things that Sweden will be loving.

they have knocked out Holland, Italy, Switzerland, lost to Germany but beat Mexico to finish top of a group none expected them to qualify, their defensive work is almost on par with Uruguay at this world cup and if Sweden play to their defensive strengths then as turgid and boring it may be they will take England to ET/Pens.

England fans really need to curtail their confidence right now because for me I don't think they have come up against a team that can stifle them the way that Sweden has done to other big nations.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. JimMc

Humidity forecast rising now typical 40% on day, expected 30 c at the local time kick off around 6pm when the humidity will be higher and in stadium temp and humidity will be much higher again. Samara is having a heatwave like us and experienced their hottest temp for 50 years when Brazil met Mexico met the other day, when temp was close to 40c

Think many fans tend to overlook conditions assume they don't mean much, but these are the sort of extremely difficult conditions that Celtic faced in Gibraltar the other year that Leigh Griffiths recently admitted he found the conditions difficult to cope with.
    Great for laying in the garden or on the beach, but seriously * trying to play any sport or run around in those conditions.

What was already a 50/50 game could well now come down to which 'team' is the fittest in these conditions, as they will have a real edge as match goes on, and looking at a very tired England in last 15 minutes and almost out in overtime and all that energy and emotion spent in penalties it is not bias to conclude likely advantage Sweden.
    Add in the fair bit of media pressure building on englerland, while Colombia were a joke, the likes of Henderson were also an embarrassment the other night, almost as bad as Neymar. Thousands have signed online petitions for a reply, not going to happen but the ref will be aware and of some of engerlands tactics, he'll be replaying the dives and hands high up.

Unlike other matches where it was more a hope as I always want englerland to lose, I believe Sweden will win this and be in next round.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  20. Markybhoy

Sweden are 2/1 to qualify. I'll have some of that.