1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

UEFA Champions League 2018-2019 qualifiers

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, May 21, 2018.

Discuss UEFA Champions League 2018-2019 qualifiers in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Why is everyone acting like the World Cup is going to keep our players out this game?

freitassen likes this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Aye and since then they've gone on to win their League 3 times in a row so are a team on the up a bit possibly as good as they've ever been. Apparantly got a few Armenia Internationals as well, Armenia were a decent team for 2/3 years not long ago although seemed to struggle again in the last year or two.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Don't mind that..

Win away well in Armenia, which I expect us to. Then all thoughts on Rosenborg, even with Alashkert still to come to Glasgow..

Think we'll definitely take a decent lead to Norway this time as well..

Don't forget we've had a longer break. KT and Broony for example. 3 fresh strikers likely this time also..

4. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Brendan knows how to negotiate these qualifiers he's not let us down yet , we also have the champions route and a settled squad we might bring in another couple of players before the qualifiers in round 3/4.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Take Mikhitaritan or however you spell it out their national team and I've seen them a few time's. They're utter *, especially defensively and no real hit man..

Just Googled best Armenian player's and not 1 are from this team :56:

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We probably always undervalue ourselves when we think of these qualifiers, we think of them as difficult games.

But imagine what these teams think of us, we have a guy who plays for Belgium, guy with about 70 caps for Sweden, a guy who captained Scotland nd has over 50 caps who has won 16 trophies and has almost 100 European appearances, we have France youth internationals like Ntcham, Dembele and Edouard, Scott Sinclair a well known player from England with a great scoring record, Griffiths with a great scoring record, Tierney who is known all over Europe as one of the best upcoming players etc and we are in the Champions League often and pretty much always in the Group Stages of Europe.

They will be looking at us and thinking - they beat Zenit, Anderlecht and Rosenborg last season, they've put 5 past teams like Astana and Hapoel Beer Sheva, won the Treble 2 years in a row, once going unbeaten.

If we were to play a team with a record like ours and players like ours we'd be absoltley * ourselves.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I completely agree that team's will fear us now under Brendan in these qualifiers..

Still be hard but still fancy us to go through all the way again. Wonder what the odds are for that?

We're better than side's like Be'er Sheva and Red Star. Absolutely no question..

8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Ah have they changed that as well? Good news then

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Spot on. I think when you look at the levels of the teams in the first round it's mental we even worry about them.

That's football though and we've * up (albeit in the past) at those hurdles before, don't want to underestimate any opponent but the players should be confident enough to go and kill the tie in the first game of the 1st and 2nd rounds.

10. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    The worst case scenario is we don't make it and drop into Europa and sell Dembele' for 30m,

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It'll be difficult I think, all it takes is one ropey game and we could lose 2-0 to a team like a Rosenborg, Legia,
    Midtjylland, Dinamo Zagreb, AEK Athens, Malmo, Young Boys, APOEL Nicosia - they're all decent teams who could beat us and we'll likely need to knock 3 of them out in a row - big ask.

The IRA likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Of course it'll be difficult. Travelling. Humidity. Team's in to their season. We still have player's away. Just back etc etc..

Under Brendan though, I just feel confident. He finds a way to negotiate these..

Don't underplay our experience and know over the last 2 year's with this current squad. No many on that list of yours have that, if any..

Nothing on that list worries me, even though they're all potential banana skin's..

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We actually don't need to sell players, our budgets are pretty solid regardless of what we do. A lot of people always talk like we need to sell players if we don't make the CL but really we only sell players if we want to buy players.

Iif we have no European football or only EL Group Stage football. Our wagebill is set up so it really fits whatever happens if they get into the EL they get bonuses, if they get into the CL they get more bonuses, if we don't get into Europe our basic wage-bill fits that.

The only difference is:

No Europe - sell players to buy players
    EL qualification - can buy players without selling
    CL qualification - gives us like 3 free years of being able to buy players without selling

Given we always spend about £6-10million a season.

We are also really financially comfortable now that even if we never qualified for Europe we have enough money set aside that we can still do what we want.

14. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Well we have over 50m in bank from last 2 years champions league and 50k season books , don't know the maths but i guess it's a lot of money and we also have assets over the park . Spending 6.5m potentially rising to 9m on edouard is a pretty big statement as our first signing , it will be intresting to see who else we bring in but losing Dembele' would be a huge blow regardless of fee and it would also pile the pressure onto Edouard even more.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  15. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Exactly. Aslong as were seeded we are the ones to be feared.

16. Crilly

I'm not saying we dnt need a winger I think we do after we prioritise CB and RB, but Atleast if Forrest was to get injured (hopefully not) we have got Morgan and even Johnstone who could both impress preseason

jpb likes this.
  17. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    It wasn't comfortable, they only went through on away goals after losing 2-1 at McDiarmid Park. We should beat them by 5 or 6.

I'm worried about Rosenborg, they should've beat us at Celtic Park. Tie was 50/50 until Forrest scored. We've obviously got more quality but the fitness edge is a big leveler.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  18. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

The game in Yerevan alashkert could of easily won by a few if i remember right. The second leg alashkert got a man sent off in the second half and after that st johnstone had them on the ropes, but overall alashkert deserved to qualify. I still fully expect us to deal with the Armenians pretty comfortably though. Yeah as you say rosenborg should of beat us at Celtic Park and it could of went either way until Forrest’s goal, so yeah that’s going to be another difficult tie.

If we turn up in both ties i fully expect us to go through to the 3rd qualifying round as we have more quality than both sides, but it’ll certainly be 2 tricky ties and everyone will need to be at it right from the off.

GazF1888 likes this.
  19. donnegal celt

Anyone worried bout Rosenberg.
    We few weeks behind in fitness this season compared when we meet them last year.
    They be 10 games into there season.

20. Da-HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny Fergus McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Foggy Dew