1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Evenings

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by strachansdaman, Mar 28, 2018.

Discuss Parents Evenings in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. strachansdaman

Just been my daughter's Primary 1 parents evening and been informed she struggles with certain things so goes to another teacher in another class for around 20 minutes for a better explanation on the subject matter then returns to her normal class,rather dissapointed in this but is it to early to start looking at paying for extra tuition,the wife says she will be what she will be as long as she always tries her best.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Extra tuition can always help, but as it's P1 stuff you and the Mum could do extra lessons with her at home to help her. Saved money and will be quality time spent with your daughter.

3. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Let her be ffs, she’s what 5/6?

No guarantees extra tuition would even help, homework is useless so how would extra lessons outside of school be any different?

Nasser likes this.
  4. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Nothing you can do mate, it's genetics

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Be careful my pal got extra tuition for the same reason at that age. His parents blame all the extra work and less friend playing time on why he was such a nutcase outside when he was let loose :56:

6. Velvet Bollok

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    I was * at learning, concentrating and other things, but i was a good speller and liked a few subjects. Im sure most kids struggle in school having one teacher looking after 30 odd kids whilst most thier attention goes to a few disruptive ones, its not an ideal set up is what im saying.
    I think girls also get a fairer crack at school as thier brains are better equipped for it and they're less likely to get themselves into trouble.Its funny cuz my cousin was always the model student, her grades were always good and she enjoyed doing homework, and i always thought theres no chance ill be like that, trying to learn something was actually a very painful experience especially at home:56:.But im doing alright for myself in the end.
    But i think spending extra time with her at home learning the basics is a good idea. You need a good teacher for that, one who cares, and alot she learns now will stick with her, kids are much better at learning than adults.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I disagree with the part in bold.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...eres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/

8. Velvet Bollok

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Callum McGregor likes this.
  9. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Tuition at 6 or 7 years of age ?

Not being smart here , but unless you yourself are dyslexic or illiterate then you should be well capable of helping the child ?

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't agree with tuition that early.

I remember at primary that early on I had to get extra help with maths, so I'd go to another classroom support teacher like your daughter for 30 minutes each day, but I was also with other kids so it wasn't as bad. I don't see a problem with her being taken out of class for 20 mins if it will help in the long run.

However full on, extra tuition, I'm not sure. If it gets to the latter stages of her time at primary and things are still the same (P5 onwards) then yes, perhaps, before she goes to High school where things are a lot tougher and harsher.

As has been said as well, if you have the time then you should be able to help her out. Don't know your situation though so cannot say anything!

11. Velvet Bollok

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Yes thats what i meant, spend some time with her doing homework or whatever, not just sat infront of the tv like most kids are.

12. strachansdaman

Me and the good lady do take the time with her but like a few bhoys said maybe it's because shes only 5 or maybe it is just down to genetics, with it being my 1st child just thought I'd throw it out there.

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Teach her the alphabet and how to count at home then start teaching her how to read even show her videos about it on youtube. I canny imagine they are doing anything more than that in Primary 1.

No need for extra tuition as they won't be teaching anything you can't do yourself.

14. Velvet Bollok

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    I dont have kids so I probably dont have a clue what im on about. Its not long since i was at school though and I know there are good and bad teachers out there. She might struggle with some things but exell in others, thats sometimes the case.

15. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There’s no way you should be paying for extra tuition at that age.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The best you should hope for at 5 is a well mannered and polite human being. Forget their supposed lack of intuition, people naturally develop at different rates.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Plenty of time to 'catch up'..

18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Natural to feel disappointed but take my advice and let it play out. My son who is now 17 went to extra tuition in PS and as he got older a tutor for after school. It wasn’t until primary 7 that we discovered he was dyslexic and struggled with work. He must have been trying so hard because he was always in the top half but was much slower at doing his work. It explained why he would do anything to avoid homework and especially reading. He also got very frustrated at certain aspects of education and definitely had a big problem with authority outside of the home. But talk to him and he is a big gentleman. Most polite and smart kid you’ll come across. He is like an encyclopaedia for dates, places and facts. He takes interest in so much educational things. Just ease your kid along the way and learn to be very patient. There is usually a reason behind it. But being in primary 1 she may not have just developed as fast as others. Could be flying by primary 3.

Cupid Stunt and StPauli1916 like this.
  19. Nasser

Let her be a kid don't pressure her with extra tuition not at such a young age, there is enough pressure on kids as there is. Tell her your proud of her and don't be pressured by teachers into anything.

auldbertie likes this.
  20. strachansdaman

well bhoys i must say I am overwhelmed by the sound advice on here and will definitely take it on board, as im sure you are aware what usually gets posted i alot of smart * no good answers but thanks again now I can relax a bit as she is very well mannered....most of the time. Cheers Bhoys HH