1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lewis Morgan

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jan 5, 2018.

Discuss Lewis Morgan in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Playing against Inverness today.

2. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome aboard wee man

3. Cmcgregor90

I laugh everytime i see a hun go on about this boy and how he will be allan mark 2 and how he will just be out on loan all the time in what way does it honestly concern them? If it did happen why are they even botherd

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LEWIS Morgan says that Brendan Rodgers’ track record in developing in young players was another reason behind his move to the Scottish champions.

The highly-rated winger completed his transfer from St Mirren on Friday, signing a four-and-a-half year with the Hoops.

He will spend the rest of the campaign on loan with the promotion-chasing Paisley side, before returning to Bhoys in June for the start of pre-season.

And the 21-year-old couldn’t disguise his excitement at the prospect of working with the Celtic manager, who had expressed his admiration for the Morgan as early as last season.

"I remember at the time that quite a big deal was made out of it and it does give you confidence when a manager of his stature speaks about you in the way he did,” said the new Bhoy. “That gives me even more confidence and it did at the time as well.

“When a club like Celtic comes along, you can’t turn it down. There was only ever going to be one choice. The manager here has been great for young players and great for the development of young players, so I am sure it will benefit me as well and I can’t wait to work with all his coaching staff.”

"He (the manager) spoke to me on how he can develop me and about the players he has previously developed at different clubs. He likes to have a core of players who are local so I am sure he will be great for me.

“It gives me more confidence to be the first he has signed from within Scotland. I am sure he will be a manager who will be brilliant for me and really help me take my game to the next level.”

The Scotland Under-21 internationalist is also looking forward to training and playing alongside his new team-mates, and he believes they will help improve his game.

“All the wingers here – James Forrest, Scott Sinclair and Jonny Hayes – I will be able to learn off them,” he said. “Obviously they are more experienced than me, and maybe different players, but I am sure there will be things they can help me out with. Playing with a higher calibre of player brings out the best in you, and training every day with them will, I’m sure, be a big benefit to me.”

“The players he has got here have been absolutely excellent,” continued the wide-man. “They went unbeaten last season and what they have achieved has been incredible and it has been great for Scottish football as well. I know there is going to be a fight on my hands to get into the team but I am certainly up for it.”

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOR a player who took a step backwards to go two further forward, it is little wonder that Lewis Morgan is two-footed when it comes to kicking a football.

The latest addition to Brendan Rodgers’ squad has some pretty big boots to fill when confirmation that he is comfortable with either foot, from set-pieces or open play, brought a comparison with Lubomir Moravcik, the little Slovakian playmaker who cultivated legendary status at the Parkhead club with four creative years of flicks and feints.

“It wasn’t natural for me. It was something from a young age I wanted to do to give myself the biggest chance to progress in the game,” said the 21-year-old. “I’ve got to a stage now where they’re pretty much identical so I don’t really need to think about receiving the ball with a certain foot and it gives me the ability to go either side. It’s a big tool for me and something I base my game around.

“It’s [Moravcik] a big name to live up to but I do take set-pieces from both sides, depending on what kind of delivery St Mirren are looking for.”

The late Jimmy Johnstone once recalled putting an old mining boot on his stronger foot to make him use his weaker leg with the ball, but there was a more modern feel to Morgan’s tuition.

“The first club I joined as a kid was an academy called First Touch, and we didn’t really play games, it was all based around training,” the Scotland Under-21 internationalist said. “There would be certain sessions where you were only allowed to use your weak foot. They produced a really high number of players who went on to play at pro youth level.”

In any case, Morgan will be required to put his best foot forward at Celtic this summer if he is to dislodge the current players in his position. The winger will remain in Paisley until the end of the season as St Mirren look to push for promotion from the Championship before he then joins up with Rodgers’ side.

“That’s what I’ll be trying to do in the summer, impressing in pre-season and trying to get myself into the team,” he said. “From there, I’ll probably assess and make goals of what I want to achieve. But first is breaking into the team.”

One of the reasons why Morgan was released by Rangers in his teens was attributed to the slightness of his build, but his perseverance to rectify that suggests a drive that will sit well with the Celtic manager.

“I got injured a couple of years ago,” he said. “I was quite slight and I took it upon myself to go to the gym a lot. I came back from injury about double the size.

“I was going to the gym probably about three times a day which any sports scientist would tell you is absolute nonsense. But when you’re injured, you just want to improve. I thought it was the only thing I could do at that time.”

Morgan impressed at under-21 level with Scotland against Holland recently, and the player says he thrives under pressure. However, it is one thing to play under the spotlight when it becomes an open secret that you are on your way to Celtic, but another to cope with the expectation levels at Celtic, even in terms of training with players who carry significant reputations of their own. To that end, the experience gained in the international arena ought to stand him in good stead.

“I’m sure testing myself against players held in a big regard holds more weight probably for anyone watching,” said Morgan. “If they hold the opposition in high regard and then you go on to do well against them.

“I remember the night [against Holland] and I did perform well. People maybe did take notice of me after that. Even the England game in Middlesbrough I did really well again.”

The bar will rise again this summer.

6. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Shame sure First Touch is away now think Morton sort of took it over, a couple of my nephews played wa them, big guy i know an worked wa helped out wa them his dad was the main coach, will need to check wa people to see if they know the new bhoy keep forgetting hes from gourock

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan speaking to the club website about him

“Lewis is a player I have admired since I have been up here when he played against us, and watching him play for Scotland Under-21s and St Mirren. I have been impressed with him and I think he is one who can be developed, and he will obviously stay at St Mirren.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't get his last sentence?

9. Keano88

The "and he will obviously stay at St.Mirren" bit?

Or has Crow edited something out?

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

For the rest of the season.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The fannies edited it..

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Lewis Morgan is now the next project for Rodgers.

The winger, 21, will stay at St Mirren on loan until the end of the season, before joining up with Celts in the summer.

For the Parkhead boss there’s enormous potential in Morgan he wants to see shine. Just like it did with Coutinho.

Rodgers added: “Lewis was a boy who really took my eye when we played St Mirren.

“Even though we won the game 4-1, I liked how direct he was and his quality, he was a handful on the day.

“We kept an eye on him from then. We watched him for Scotland Under-21s against Holland.

“Lewis was up against a really physical player that night.

“It was interesting to see if he could cope with that, and he did.

“He’s a boy who’s hungry. He has gone there with Jack Ross and done very well.

“I spoke to Jack at length about Lewis, and then I was given permission to speak to the player at length. He is a very humble boy, he knows where he’s at in his career.

“It is hard to tell, when they come to a big club. You come to Celtic, and it’s hard for lots of players. So if he can cope with that level of scrutiny and pressure and expectations then he could be a wonderful player.

“He has the talent, he’s direct, he’s quick, he can score goals and has two great feet.

“So we will look forward to the chance to work with him when he comes in the summer.

“As a coach you look at the player and do your homework on him, try to find out all the different aspects of his life.

“I like players who are hungry and want to learn. I tend to bring the right types of character into the squad, and everything I had heard about Morgan was very good as a boy.

“I had a real nice chat with Lewis. You can’t always go on what they are like, but the first impression is important.

“I’ve spoken to players who looked me in the eye for three hours and never blinked.

“You think ‘Not what you’d want them to be’. Others tell you what you want to hear.

“But I’ve been really impressed with Lewis, and hopefully there’s a great platform for him to go on finish the season with St Mirren.”

Signing young Scots is something Rodgers believes is a must at Celtic.

He said: “That’s vital, everybody has to get an opportunity.

“If I was working in Spain my core would be Spanish. In Scotland my core will always be Scottish.”

ScouseHoops likes this.
  13. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Only for non domestic players that arrangement mate.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Chris Davies now speaking very highly of Lewis, from what i can read into it seems he has the right application and determination to make it here. Like to see how he plays in the team, young lad so willing to give him a decent amount of time, lets hope he can take a corner kick!

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CHRIS Davies is delighted that Celtic had secured one of the hottest prospects in Scottish football following the arrival of highly-rated winger Lewis Morgan on a four-and-a-half year deal from St Mirren.

A number of clubs had been tracking the 21-year-old after his dazzling displays for the Championship leaders but it was the Hoops who won the race for his signature as he put pen to paper last Friday in Paradise.

The new Bhoy has returned to the Buddies for the rest of the season on loan and he will join up with his new team-mates in the summer, and Davies told this week's Celtic View that they have been impressed with the winger for some time.

“I was very pleased,” he said, in an exclusive interview.“I know as time progressed there was a lot of interest in him down in England as well.

"He is someone I have seen play a few times live for Scotland U21s, and he was the standout player on both times, particularly in the game against Holland when he really stood out against a good full-back in terms of his speed, directness and one-v-one ability.

"We are pleased to have him on board. Obviously he is back with St Mirren and we wish them all the best in the rest of their season, but it’s an exciting move for Lewis and hopefully it can work out well for him and the club.”

And Davies said that Morgan - the Hoops' second signing of the January transfer window after the acquisition of Marvin Compper from RB Leipzig - fits the mould of the type of player Brendan Rodgers wants to bring to the club.

“To play in Brendan’s teams you can’t just be a good player with the ball,” added Celtic's assistant manager. “It’s what you do without the ball and how you work for the team. You need to be selfless and be able to press, especially as an attacking player in how you press the ball at the top end of the pitch.

“Tactically he has an understanding of how to do that and he’s certainly got the mentality to work hard for the team as well. He’s a hard-working player but he also has a lot of technical quality on the ball.

"He’s a direct player who wants to go into the duel and run at players, and that’s something the fans like to see as well – an attack-minded player who has confidence in his abilities. He fits what we want from the wide players so we’re looking forward to him coming in the summer and getting going.”

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Great name. Even better initials.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Going to try and watch some of St.Mirren's games if I can find a stream. Really excited about seeing this lad play for us.

20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m warming to him

:dancing:

JC Anton likes this.