1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James Forrest

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss James Forrest in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

There's only one wee Jamesy
    He drives all the girls crazy
    When he opens his coat
    to show them what a wee * he's goat
    Something something something something mazy

Fully87, Marty McFly and Sean Daleer like this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He spins it right round baby, right round, wee Jamesy swings his * right round...

Fully87, Marty McFly and Sean Daleer like this.
  3. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    How the * do people still mind that was me. I'm gonna have to get a new username

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    You should be proud.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BEFORE Brendan Rodgers arrived, it seemed like Celtic supporters were going to see the back of James Forrest.

Now the Parkhead manager is delighted that the fans are seeing the best of him.

Forrest looked to be on his way out of the club after struggling to get into Ronny Deila’s team two seasons ago.

With his contract running down, the winger looked odds-on to go elsewhere.

Rodgers wasn’t having that, though.

And with the 26-year-old enjoying the best form of his career, the Hoops boss couldn’t be happier for the Scotland star.

Rodgers said: “Against Bayern Munich at home, James was really sensational.

“He’s one of the best I’ve ever worked with in terms of taking the ball so tight to the line.

“He has the ability to beat people on the inside or outside and he’s got different ways of finishing.

“Wingers are so important at this level. They can’t afford to switch off.

“Tactically, they have to participate in the game all the time.

“Sometimes you can get away with turning the engine off domestically, but you can’t at this level.

“That’s one of the big things he has improved, his concentration level.

“His pressing, hunger and desire to get the ball is great, then it gets him into areas where he can really show his quality.

“In my time here, he has been a joy to work with.

“My teams have always had speed, power and been technically good.

“Tactically, they have an unpredictability and wingers can give you that.

“At Swansea, we had Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer who were brilliant for me.

“At Liverpool, I had Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho, dynamic players who don’t waste time getting at people.

“That’s why we play not just with wingers, but with aggressive wingers, people who can take other people on.

“With James, I think that Celtic supporters should really be enjoying watching him now. He’s won, what, 12 trophies now?

“The stat that really hit me was the Bobby Lennox one. Everyone knows the esteem in which Bobby Lennox is held.

“So for his record of scoring in three winning League Cup Finals not to have been equalled until James, really shows the level the kid is playing at.

“And his best years are to come. That’s the beauty of it, he’s only 26.

“He’s been around for a long time, but I think because of the expectancy at Celtic, in a lot of those years when people have criticised him, he was really young.

“He was a young guy who broke on to the scene, playing in big games.

“But he’s an absolutely brilliant player and Celtic will see the best of him.

“He’s 26 now and you think he’s going into asset age at 28, 29. So, for me, he’s absolutely brilliant.

“Sometimes he maybe looks a wee bit languid, but that’s maybe because of the number of games he’s played.

“He’s got a lot of games in his legs and sometimes as a winger you can feel a bit leggy because you’re always the one who has to be direct and positive.

“Sometimes a centre-half can maybe take a breather in a game, but wingers normally don’t — especially mine.

“They need to be able to press and then run back to get forward.”

Forrest looked set to take his career away from Celtic after struggling to get a game under Deila.

But Rodgers has transformed his career, with the help of a little joke when he arrived on day one.

He said: “When I accepted the role I made a few calls.

“I wanted to get round and talk to players and I was aware of where he was at with his contract.

“He’d turned down a couple of previous offers and only had six months remaining.

“But when I spoke to him on the phone, I reassured him that we could work well together.

“He has a lovely smile, James. He’s a great boy, really relaxed. Everybody loves him here. His temperament is wonderful.

“So I sat him down and said ‘It’s like you’ve been on loan for two years, where have you been?’.

“We had a nice little joke, me, him and Browny.

“I had met Browny previous to my first day of training here, but when I was walking up the stairs he was there with James.

“I shook Browny’s hand and then shook James’ hand and said ‘It’s nice to meet you’.

“I then said to Browny ‘Listen, will you do me a favour?

“If you see James Forrest, can you tell him the manager loves him and he wants to have a little chat with him because he’s obviously been on loan for a couple of years, but I want him back to play.’

“That gave him a chuckle and he was up and running. We built a rapport from day one. That is what football is about.

“It’s about developing the strengths of players. James’ strengths are one-v-ones and taking people on, scoring goals.

“I just had to stimulate him to know he has to be part of a team and from that, in pre-season, he was arguably our best player.”

Rodgers hopes Forrest can light up Parkhead tonight and rubber-stamp Celts’ place in the Europa League last 32.

He added: “We want to win for the supporters. That is our message going into the game.

“We have been in two campaigns now and we want to get a home victory.

“We’ve had good performances against top teams and obviously we have learned a lot of lessons and valuable lessons.

“We had a great result at Anderlecht. We played very well and won.

“Now it would be nice to finish off our Champions League campaign with a great night and a great result.”

JAMES FORREST isn’t in the habit of counting his medals for Celtic.

But he’s addicted to chasing glory for the only club he pictures himself at.

Many still see the winger as a young, up and coming lad from the academy system.

Yet, Forrest is now firmly an established senior pro – 26-years-old, over 250 appearances for the Hoops at every level and after last week’s man-of-the-match Betfred Cup final display the proud winner of 12 major honours for the club.

Throw in also 20 Scotland caps and there’s no question of the fleet-footed attacker’s current status as one of the most decorated stars in Scottish football, never mind at Celtic.

Forrest matched the great Bobby Lennox’s club feat of scoring in three winning League Cup finals while he’s now overtaken Neil Lennon with his Parkhead medals haul.

It was former boss Lennon who gave him a debut against Motherwell in May, 2010, with the Ayrshire Bhoy scoring brilliantly within six minutes of leaving the bench.

And Forrest – already six titles to his name and four short of 50 goals in his seven-and-a-half years – has a BIG appetite for so much more.

He said: “I’ve matched Bobby Lennox now by scoring in three League Cup Finals, which is great.

“It has been a great start to the season, positive for me personally and the team. I have played in a lot of big games and I want to just keep going.

“When you look at squad, there’s two or three internationals that can play in every position.

“The manager plays different systems as well at times. Sometimes he plays with wingers and sometimes he doesn’t. The competition is healthy and brings out the best in all the players.

“We have a big squad and the manager has a lot of players to choose from.

“So I’ve just worked hard every day to show the manager what I can do.

“It’s probably no-coincidence that competing with boys like Patrick Roberts has brought the best out in me.

“It does make you realise that you have to be at it every single day. Because if you’re not, someone will come in and take your place.

“Everyone’s replaceable. That pushes you on.

“I heard that I have 12 major medals now and I’m only 26. But you don’t sit and count them.

“At Celtic, when you play in a final, you’ve normally got a game a few days later.

“So you just win it and move on. But obviously it was nice to hear that. I’m hungry for more now.

“It’s probably only at the end of my career, I’ll sit down and look back on what I’ve won. At the time, there’s so much going on.

“With all the big games you don’t take much notice of it.

“But you want to win trophies and be successful. I want to kick on now and get more.”

Forrest added: “When you come through at Celtic the dream is to make your debut. But there’s always a next step here.

“And you never want to stop with what you’ve got. I want to keep going and see where it takes me.

“I’ve been in the first team for seven years and only Broony is still here from when I made my debut.

“The amount of players who have come and gone is scary.

“It’s hard to imagine myself playing for any other club. I’ve been here since I was nine years old so anywhere but Celtic would feel strange.

“I’ve always wanted to commit my future to here.”

Fully87 likes this.
  6. Minty1888

gie him a song ffs!

7. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    One not about his * would be nice

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

One Jamesy Forrest
    His shorts are tight and he used to be *.
    Walking in a Forest Wonderland

Thank me later.. :smoke:

Marty McFly likes this.
  9. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    My mates were asking what my Talkceltic username was n I wudnae tell them out of embarrassment :52:

packybhoy likes this.
  10. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Was lively in the second half. Good chance around the 58' as well.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Was good but playing far too deep, he was basically playing right-back. Every time he got on the ball he was starting about 20 yards behind the half way line.

12. jamieparis

from half time when he brough ntcham and rogic on it looks like we went to back 5, with jamesy at right back

13. HNTB67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Mind his first game and goal against Motherwell in 2010. Feels like yesterday! Was some finish.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Similar to Messi's first ever goal for Barca actually

[​IMG]

Both left foot lobs with the ball on the bounce from similar areas :eek1: :56:

HNTB67 likes this.
  15. HNTB67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    One has had a stalwart career winning numerous team and individual accolades, the other's first name is Lionel.

ILoveTheCeltic likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scores the same type of goal all the time

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Thats why we (dont) sing this song for James Forrest

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good shout.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    How many goals is he on for us overall now?

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney

Liam Scales likes this.