1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Bhoys from the Govan/Temple bus have been singing it for a good few years.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  3. SeanBhoy7

If the sevco fans were singing it about one of their players they would be getting slaughtered for it.

Captain Brown likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GLASGOW. Mikael Lustig is back in the Scottish reality after the miracle in Milan.

In a major interview with SportExpressen, the national team profile tells about the celebration after the secured World Championships, the success season with Celtic, the attention to the sword, its own national trip - and the discussion about a possible comeback for Zlatan Ibrahimovic

"I'm hard to see him coming back to the national team, taking number 17 and letting Andreas Granqvist be the team captain," says the right back.

Mikael Lustig is casually dressed in soft pants and T-shirt when SportExpressen greets him at home in the Bearsden house, 20 minutes drive from central Glasgow.

The 30-year-old has just laid the daughters Lexie and Lucia.

It is three days since the performance of San Siro when Sweden sensationally played 0-0 against Italy and secured a place in the World Cup final in Russia.

Lustig drops down on the sofa in the living room, cuts the coca cola and talks about the most exciting days of his football life - after 2017, which consisted of three titles in Scotland, the league score record and a sensational World Cup.

Mikael Lustig's most successful year
    The previously criticized right back is now one of the most popular players in the national team and is highly acclaimed for its efforts in Blågult.

- This year is not going to peak. Never ever. We won three titles with Celtic, did not lose a single match in the league and then we go to the World Cup with the national team.

"It's going to be hard," says Lustig with a smile, as he clicks his head as if he did not really understand what happened.

"It's still so that you sit and hug in your arm. You get happy and almost scream and then you're in shock again. Then there are very many who want to come and congratulate and also the teammates here in Celtic are proud.

"It has been easy days since we won against Italy," he says.

How was the celebration in Milan?

"We went to a club that was ten minutes from the hotel. Went there for a while and then we continued at the hotel in the small hours. Then it went straight to the airport.

Were you tired the day after?

- No, actually not .. But when I got home and had nighted the children, I immediately left.

You shouted "* fittor" after the national anthem when the Italian supporters bowed under the Swedish national anthem. Your swearing came to be noticeable in Sweden and you received criticism for your choice of words. How do you look at it?

"From time to time I was * and lost when the Italians bowed out our national anthem. I lost it and did not use my sensible use. I chose the wrong words and have apologized. I'll take the *, learn from it and do it better.

Did you realize how much attention it would have?

- No. I got the question in the mixed zone afterwards and then I laughed a bit because I had no idea what I had said. But then I found out that I was kidding on television and watching the clip myself.

"Then I thought it did not look good and that was not good at all.

Mikael Lustig about the conversation with his wife
    Your wife Josefin told me she was talking to you about it?

"Yes, of course, we talked about it and I immediately said that I regretted what I said and that looked too bad. One does not think there are a lot of family families watching the microphone there and they are just shooting me at that moment.

Were you boasted that she got crazy and that there were people who wrote to her at Instagram?

"If you enter one's child in things, it's an Achilles heel and there were many who wrote to her and told her what she would do. There are many idiots who wrote to me too.

"Then there are some who say I said the only thing right and that I should say more things and they are backing me. But in this there is nothing to back. I'm not on their side.

- I just wanted to be clear about what I stand and I wrote that on my Instagram account where I apologized.

And now you're back in reality in Glasgow?

- Yes. From 80,000 in Milan, to Ross County away (win 1-0) and then we have PSG gone in the Champions League. I talked to Scottish media about it and they wondered a bit about the contrasts.

"But that's what my life has been like in recent years. I like it.

Your national team trip has been long and you have been given since Erik Hamrén took over 2009. But it's only now that you've got that real estimate?

"I do not know if I'm among the elderly. People may think I have to do something right and that I am a leader. When I get the most appreciation I've made goals. Then it detects me and says: yes, he is also. Then they look back and maybe I think that I have not been so stupid yet. But then it's like right back. You should be stable and do your job. It is not often we right backs get the big headlines.

"I am extremely proud of what I have achieved in the national team over the years.

Lustig: "Happy and grateful"
    What do you think about being one of the most rewritten and popular national team players right now?

- Clearly, it's fun with appreciation. At the same time, the football we are dealing with and it can turn quickly. Should we lose some matches next time and I would make a mistake, it can turn quickly.

"But I am extremely happy and grateful for the positive criticism.

When do you think you have been the best in the national team?

- In the Denmark matches in the Playoff matches for the Euro 2016, it felt good. But what I'm most proud of is that I kept it at the highest level. Then it's easy to say that the best time is now when it goes well and I have received a lot of praise.

"I have good self-confidence when I am with the national team now.

You seem to have a different role now. You drive your goalkeepers and are hired by teammates for your way of spreading good mood. Have you dared to take more space as you get older?

- No I do not think so. If you ask those who have been for a while, it's probably the same. They would highlight my crazy pages. I absolutely think so. But clearly there is a difference now compared to my first year in the national team.

"But we have such a freaky, sweet atmosphere in the team and a straight line simply.

You and John Guidetti found each other and have become close friends after his time in Celtic. He himself said he did not think you two would click, but you did?

- Yes, that's when he came on loan. All I knew of John was what I read about him in the newspapers, and all he knew about me was what he had read.

What did you read about him then that he was cheeky?

- Of course. Now that I know him, he does a lot with the glimpse of the eye and that is a lot of love. But when you do not know about it, you think he's cheeky. Especially when he was young and spotted a goal in Feyenoord.

"But you see that you should not judge people quickly and easily. He was unlucky now with his injury where he broke his clavicle earlier this year.

- Then it's tougher as a striker. As a back you can have a pretty bad period and still get away with it. As a striker, you do not aim at three to four matches, then you sit on the bench.

- But he's an extreme talent and when he's the best he's cruel.

Enjoyed Erik Hamrén
    Keeping the post became an item after the Euro 2012 finals in Poland / Ukraine. How has that thing affected you?

"It's still a thing and when I think back on my career so far, it's one of the things that pops up first. In a negative sense. During championship everything gets so much bigger.

"Then nothing had to do with Erik Hamrén. It became a number of headlines when I said at some point that he could have explained a little better how he looked at that particular situation. But he had a lot of other things to think about and it seemed as though I criticized Erik because he did not defend me.

- That's not how it was. It got a bit enlarged. Erik has meant a lot to me and I think he got a little unnecessary criticism sometimes.

The hero of the Zlatan question: "Tired"
    The discussion about Zlatan in the national team is certainly tiresome for you players. How do you look at it?

- Extremely tired. Then I understand that Zlatan sells and that the question appears. But since that day he said he would put down the national team, I have not heard anything but it should be.

- The discussion should not exist.

Do you think he could adapt to this national team you have built up now. I think it feels like Zlatan is the best when most of them circle him?

"Zlatan is an extremely big personality and I find it difficult to see him return to the national team, take number 17 and let Andreas Granqvist be the team captain.

"But if he says he's ready and wants to play a World Cup, it's up to Janne Andersson and decide. Zlatan may come back and do it really well in United and then it will be a matter for the federals, so we'll see.

How much do you look forward to the World Cup?

- Much. You want the World Cup matches right now. It feels too far there. It is such a badly beautiful mood in the national team and it has become such a hype around the national team

- Just take such a thing as when I and Jimmy Durmaz were going to the gym in Stockholm the same day we met Italy at home. Every car stopped and tipped, woven the boxes and wished us luck. I have never had such a thing before in the national team.

- It feels amazing.

Many people probably did not think Sweden would move from a group with France and Holland, and then beat Italy in Play off. In particular, not to end the last match with Gustav Svensson and Sebastian Larsson in the central midfield?

- No, it is. Do you see players for players and in which clubs everyone we play is perhaps the worst national team in the long run. If we just look at the paper.

"But it's just that we all come in and do the job. Rock Hard. Even though we have a bad day. Both Janne Andersson and Peter Wettergren get the most out of every player and with this shark we have surpassed ourselves.

"We know we can beat Italy that has Insigne, Immobile and other world stars. What do we have to come with then? We have players from the Scottish league, from Seattle in the USA but still know we can beat everyone.

"It feels great to have created that feeling. When we come to Italy with the national team, we think that these players we meet now are not much better than us. We go in and drive. The Swedish audience loves us.

VERY * TO ...
    ... why it became Celtic .

"I had a contract with Rosenborg and felt it was time to move. I had a bid from Fulham and Espanyol too but felt that Celtic felt more right. They wanted to put in an offensive right back and the player type that I was then best fit in there.

"Celtic is a top team in a slightly worse league and has developed well.

... the best he played with in Celtic.

- Virgil van Dijk. It was too simple for him here. It was like he was playing against children. It looked like he could only jog and take the ball off the attackers. I have never seen anyone who has been so superior here in Scotland.

Then our team captain is Scott Brown.

... contact with Erik Hamrén.

"He sent a sms and gratuit to the World Cup final, otherwise it's not that much.

... time with Hamrén in the national team.

"I think we did well then. We should remember that Sweden is a small country and we took to two championships with him. So that was more than good.

"Then he did not get along with the media so well and then it will be difficult. And then he has not got any job now.

... the worst he heard from a Rangers supporter.

"It's more that you pass by and they look in the eyes. Then it's 50/50 that it's a Rangers supporter or a Celtic fan. Either it's thumbs up or you get your finger. But most here in Glasgow have the glimpse of the eye. Even though they are Rangers supporters and I meet them it is with the eye in the eye.

- I have never felt threatened. I do not have Twitter and so there but there may be hilarious mood sometimes and you have heard stories of when Neil Lennon got the pistol balls sent to him.

... what does Rangers say is back in the room in Scotland?

- It's good for us. When they left, we did not spend a lot of money on players and so on. We knew we did not have to bet rock hard, but would win the league anyway.

"But immediately, when they came up, we invested millions of bets and took in a class manager and good player. We started paying better wages to show that we should be number one.

"The management knew what they did when they brought Brendan Rodgers and now that Rangers is up and they have bought players for $ 100 million, they will also have to bet that we will remain number one.

... the security of an Old Firm.derby

"The police come up to us and hold a meeting and take a little general thinking of social media before the match. That we should not write anything provocated and that we should not celebrate the goal of skipping the billboards or trying to provoke the opponent's chance.

"Then there is a risk of chaos. There are extreme matches. You know the day before there is something big going on.

... when he enjoyed the most after the victory at San Siro

"It has been all the way from the closing signal and up to now. But it is clear that it will always be most special when you sit in the locker room after the game. One second you dance, scream and celebrate. Nose a second, you are blinded and wondering what happened.

"And to join in and take the national team to a World Cup there with the guys who have been along the way and the press that was on us. There were many who said afterwards that they have never been so nervous about a match ever.

"It started for me two days before. I went through different scenarios and I lay awake at night and could think of myself thinking about it and you had to tell yourself to think of something else so you could sleep.

- The tension and the nervousness that was ahead of the game, it was somewhat overwhelming.

... the feelings of victory.

- Clearly, even i tore tears. There were many of us who knew this was our last chance to reach the World Cup. We have been many for a long time. Should we not do it now we would not get one chance.

https://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/landslaget/backar-mig-men-jag-ar-inte-pa-deras-sida/

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Sevco fans wouldn't sing it as they are not comfortable enough in their own skin to sing it. Also it isn't staunch enough.

6. Keano88

Chilling eating some leftover pizza and listening to some Atomic Kitten.

This is how a Sunday should be.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Irish Times have picked this up

Lustig you’re the one
    Just when Mikael Lustig might have thought his footballing life couldn’t get much sweeter, him being one of the Swedes who qualified for the World Cup by ousting Italy last week, he’s now at the centre of a heated debate among Celtic fans over which is the superior tribute tune to the fella.

The choices:

(a) In honour of last season’s treble, to the tune of ABBA’s ‘Thank you for the music’:

“So I say thank you Mikael Lustig, this song we’re singing, thanks for all, the joy you’re bringing.

“Who could live without you, I ask in all honesty, what would life be, without a goal and a dance from our Swede?

“So I say... thank you Mikael Lustig, for winning us all three.”

(b) To the tune of, eh, Atomic Kitten’s ‘Whole Again’:

“Looking back on when we first met, I cannot escape and I cannot forget,

Lustig, you’re the one, you still turn me on, you can make me whole again.”

They’re both outstanding, so it’s impossible to choose - but anyone who claims they forecast Celtic fans one day belting out an Atomic Kitten tune is lying.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...-and-no-respite-for-wenger-1.3297481?mode=amp

Callum McGregor likes this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

* or not, that * song has been in my head ALLL day

10. Keano88

Samezies.

JML67 likes this.
  11. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    monkeynuts likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. HNTB67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Folk getting * hurt ( :98: ) about the tune have something to hide.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

The song is just a bit of fun. I give thanks every day that I was born a Celtic supporter, a support full of passion, innovation, fun and inclusiveness.

I genuinely think people who hate the song or worry about getting slaughtered for it are not very comfortable in their own sexuality.

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, * right they would: by their own, the homophobic bigots.

FWIW the ABBA one is clearly better, though. :56:

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Liked by Random Review.

Am out.

Twisty, JC Anton and Sean Daleer like this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's the circle of life... ;)

JC Anton likes this.
  18. Aidan O’Shea

Yes, but only because they’d be singing it about a player that is so bad he gets beaten 2-0 at home by Hamilton.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You can fill my hole again! :fear:

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR on Lustig: “We’ll see how he is over the next couple of days. No doubt it had an impact because structurally we are taking off a defender.”