1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Oct 19, 2017.

Discuss Expectations in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

So the dust has settled on last night's game. Not an easy watch for any Celtic fan, as I said in the match thread we came up against a wounded animal in Bayern on their own patch where they are virtually unbeatable, under a new manager who has lifted the whole club.

I didn't expect a result when the draw was made, I didn't expect a result at 7:45 last night, and I don't expect a result in Paris or even at home to Bayern.

I expected us to compete with Anderlecht for 3rd spot and pick up at least a win against them.

We're doing as well as I expected, still unbeaten domestically and gaining more experience in Europe. Yes, we could've done things differently - could've got a CB in summer, could've played Dembele, could've played Ralston or Ajer, could've defended set pieces better etc... but would it make much difference? Seen a fair few negative posts about players and performances which I don't understand.

We kept the scoreline respectable last night (arsenal lost 5 the last time they went there, and their budget is a bit bigger than ours) do people genuinely expect more? Our aim is to get to the Champions League and we did that against Astana, and I know it's frustrating seeing us against the ropes like that (I shouted * sake about 100 times in 90 mins) but thank * we're in it, we've got Brendan and our fans are top class :50:

HH

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Today should hopefully bring clearer heads.

I'm as bad as anyone during the game but the reality is I thought we'd be beat by 2 or 3 and it transpired. It's good for our players to see that although they can make misplaced passes regularly or drop off the pace for periods in domestic games that if that happens at the elite level you are punished.

We're still very much a work in progress.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I expect us to play to our potential and be brave on the ball. I expect us to be set up tactically to make us hard to play against in these games.

Don't expect to take anything from the PSG/Bayern matches but would like to see a much better performance level and give these teams something to think about..

Let's see if we get that in the last three games..

Having 3 points at this stage is beyond my expectations tbh.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

JML67 and celticfan01 like this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As @JC Anton says, we are where we are, and the expectation for me is bettering anderlecht.
    Don't expect * all off the 4 games against psg and bayern, but do expect a little better in our showing.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

JML67 and neilly1987 like this.
  5. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    If we had went with Ralston or Ajer at the back, guaranteed the score line would have been worse. I think we could have given a better account of ourselves for sure, Sinclair goal looked onside as well which could have made the scoreline a bit better, but they should've had a penalty and their first time getting the ball in the net also looked to be the wrong call by the officials so it could have easily been 6-1. I do feel however that we should be giving a better performance against the top sides in Europe. We have to start looking at the players that want to give 100% and those who don't. Lennon and Strachan got those amazing results in Europe against the big teams because every player gave it their all for them . With Rodgers, it seems that there are quite a lot of egos in the team who think they're better than they really are and Rodgers doesn't seem like the sort of manager to tell them how it is like Neil Lennon or Neil Warnock. :celtman2:

It's that mentality of blaming everyone else. Apart from Gordon, Brown, Tierney, Lustig and Mcgregor, the rest are just using our club as a stepping stone and it * me right off. Example, Eboue Koussai on instagram liked every single EPL post there was, yet the same day Celtic FC official page posted pictures around the same time and guess what, didn't like a single post! (Wasn't stalking or anything) also worthy to note he has no friends playing in the league:39:. Sviatchenko training in Denmark to get fit is another * take, lads on 15 grand a week and has full access to the training facility at Lennoxtown, wouldn't be surprised if he's training at Copenhagens facility. Rant over, thanks

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. The Maestro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley
    I thought 4 nil yesterday so a bit better than expected , we have 2 of the best sides in world football in our group , playing Bayern on their own patch what did people realistically expect? It was always going to come down to how we do against Anderlecht , if we can get 6 points from them and into the Europa this season I'll view that as progression

neilly1987 and Sydneysider like this.
  7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Going into the season with lack of quality at the back was always going to kill us. Also, the team selection was poor. We looked far better when the 3 subs came on who can compete better at that level. Another poor night at the office as Bayern should and could have scored far more.

8. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    I feel like there's a wee bit of negativity towards BR creeping in. What were we really expecting? We are where we are and BR has to be given time to build. It's a learning process for him and some of the team who haven't enough experience of big games. I don't believe for a minute that BR wont sort out the wheat from the chaff. He's seeing what we're seeing and perhaps he's waiting till he's in a better position to do something about it. We've done alright so far in some respects and right now I think that he's the best man for the job.

I agree there are a few who think that they're better than they are but I wont bother naming them as I will end up falling out with a few people on here :56: I will just say that loving a player for his devotion to the club or the fact that a certain player can turn it on and look spectacular occasionally for the cause just isn't enough in my book. Overall though I expect season on season to improve and I feel that we have been improving. As I said earlier it's all about perspective. We get beat 3.0 by a * good team the value of which could buy our whole club. Arsenal got turned over by them by a bigger scoreline earlier in the year twice. Yes it may very well have been 6.0 but it wasn't. I expect us to give them more of a game at home.

Sydneysider likes this.
  9. Momo Sylla

celticfan01 likes this.
  10. JamesM09

I’m personally quite shocked at the response to this game.

I thought all of our players were much better than against PSG. That’s all I was looking for - an improvement in attitude and performance.

I know people want Brendan to bow to the pressure and go ultra defensive, but I think he’s doing the right thing. I honestly believe playing like this against teams like Bayern is the reason we’ll hammer decent sides like Anderlecht and Astana. You’ve got to look at the bigger picture here.

Most of all, in Brendan you must trust.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Any thoughts on KT hitting the post, Sinclair’s offside goal or Dembele’s chance at the end?

12. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I've taken to avoiding match-threads during games like this just because it's such a shame to see people getting on the team's back so readily. Yes, we could be a bit more competitive, but that will come when this young team has a bit more experienced a head on its shoulders. It's all ifs, buts and could-have-beens with Jozo, Rogic, Dembele, etc. Even with those players at the top of their game, I really still wouldn't see past a defeat (maybe not 3-0, but still). Anderlecht is where we have to focus.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. thomohoq

Outside of Real Madrid and (maybe) Barca, no one in Europe would cope with PSG or Bayern playing as well as they did against us. Literally every pass, flick or trick was bang on the money. Almost impossible to compete with. We showed in Belgium that we deserve to be at the table but the elite teams are elite.

14. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    i was that fuming lad haha

Momo Sylla likes this.
  15. Momo Sylla

I feel your pain man. Work night shift so just finished watching it on the train. Sure I probably looked like a nutter at some points haha.

celticfan01 likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Starting with the same midfield and shape that got cruelly exposed v PSG doesn't show learning imo.
    It's unfair to the players to an extent to expose them by going toe-toe with teams like Bayern...

They played 4-2-3-1 & so did we very arrogant..

We could really hurt teams in the Europa with BRs philosophy tho..

He should be able to adapt his tactics, don't think it's too much to ask.

Said it after the PSG game BR shouldn't be immune from criticism.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Sween

I think the real elite teams of europe are on a completely different level now. Between the money they have to spend coupled with an effectively rigged seeding system, the whole game is set up to ensure the rich get richer and the biggest most marketable teams propser.

Which has kind of wrecked the game a bit but then this is exactly how every side who celtic pump in scotland feels week in week out. Money has destroyed natural competition in football to such an extent that it is simply impossible to organically grow a team to compete at the top.

So really my expectations are simple:

1. Continue to dominate scotland as we are doing. Aim for the treble each year and secure 10 in a row.

2. Spend enough to give ourselves a better chance than not of getting into the champions league. Try our best to beat teams with similar budgets and quality as our own.

3. If we play against the elite teams, try to come up with a strategy that gives you half a chance. And if we get taken apart then for the fans at the game just try to have a good time.

That is it really. It is pretty boring but that is where I see celtic and it wont change for as long as we play in Scotland.

PEI#1, jpb and neilly1987 like this.
  18. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's pretty fair. It's not like we were all expecting to scud Bayern and PSG but it's not too much to ask for for us to be able to string a few passes together or defend properly. Unless the board cough up some serious money from somewhere or some gazillionaire sheik decides he's a tim at heart there's always going to be a gap but, that said, the team we have aren't doing themselves justice. There was a big gap when we played Barca under Lennon and we certainly weren't humiliated in those 2 games because we defended well, made no silly mistakes and FOUGHT.

19. Grimm You belong to me!

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Thomson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    100% agree, as BR said lets get it into perspective, we tend to go with our hearts which is understandable its easy to say get right inta them but a lot more difficult if their one touch passing is so quick. Lets just rack up the dosh, good run in Europa and pump the huns at every opportunity.

neilly1987 likes this.
  20. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Expectations: I predicted 3-0 to Bayern last weekend....on the night I bet 2-2 and 2-1 to Celtic(Heart ruling the head...would never bet a defeat).
    Hours after the game I posted...in an induced alcohol state....that I was bit disappointed in the performance of not being able to mix it a little and show some aggression, just to say don't start yer fancy dancy pish wey us i.e not stay on the ball too long or you will be clattered and put doubts in their mind.......as Muller showed on Brown early in the game, I think this tackle affected our already nervous play.

Now in a sober state, we are playing a style that is progressing under BR which is dominating the domestic scene(and long may it conTENue)and should show up well in the Europa.....the team is of course still learning under Brendan and the more we play quality teams(which PSG and Bayern are) then we will hopefully add a little steel to our game.
    The barometer for me will be how well PSG and Bayern do in the latter stages
    Getting into the Europa cup is progression, I fully support BR.....big shout again to our fans, made me proudAGAIN...HH

Peej likes this.