1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

I bet you're the type of wee specky shitebag that only opens his gub and spouts his opinion when yer at yer keyboard....

Gyp Rosetti and mickey95 like this.
  2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    You're giving Lawwell credit for things the fans done.

Lawwell didn't get rid of the Kellys, that was purely down to the Celtic support hounding them out of the club.

Fergus deserves plenty of credit for stepping in to stop the club going to the wall, yes. But his plan revolved around the fans coming forward in their thousands and stumping up their own money to save the club. Fergus took a big pay cheque for his efforts as well.

Comparisons with the huns are ridiculous. The huns as a fan base are completely deluded and will let every conman and charlatan under the sun take advantadge of them as long as they don't wear anything green and say "we urra peepol".

Giving Lawwell credit for our success misleading. Our healthy financial position is down to our huge and dedicated support. A support that has always turned out in numbers despite being victimised by police scotland, attacked by the scottish media, punished by uefa, and suffering years of penny pinching and criticism from a board who are all too happy to make money from their actions when it suits them.

You're making it out like we should be celebrating Lawwell for not running the club into the ground, when in reality he gets a very easy ride. The fans built this club and are responsible entirely for its success. Desmond, Lawwell et al are just here to oversee the finances, whilst skimming the cream off the top and giving it to themselves.

StPauli1916 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I will assume you understand what "skimming" means, so I would urge you to report this as a matter of urgency, before serious damage is caused to our Club. Otherwise, and I suspect this to be the case, you are just talking more * and making up accusations.

I wont hold my breath waiting on you reporting this though :50:

celticpro likes this.
  4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Are you referring to Cream skimming? Price skimming? Profit skimming?

Skimming stones?

You do understand the difference between a metaphor and an accusation don't you?

Or do you just resort to pedantry because you want to defend the board but you can't think of anything good to say about then.

Gyp Rosetti and Random Review like this.
  5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Nah I was specifically referring to what YOU posted, here it is again, - "whilst skimming the cream off the top and giving it to themselves." - seems pretty clear what you posted or maybe its just you who is confused.

Anyway, as said, I wont hold my breath and will just file it under * but at least we have cleared it up now :50:

celticpro likes this.
  6. Ak1

What I struggle to understand is, and this is not a direct criticism at PL

After record season ticket sales, champions league group qualification, and a supposed big 'sell on' for VVD.
    Why does the club appear to be penny pinching, particularly over offers for Roberts and Armstrong.

I understand there are salary caps, and no doubt the whole Celtic operation obviously costs a huge amount to sustain. But why jeopardise the feel good factor created over the past 12 months.

Surely there are a number of players within the first team environment who have now proved they are worthy of pay increases (with CL qualification, the treble, record season ticket sales).
    What more could BR and his squad have done?

Just can't understand how we've got to 24 hours before a crucial game, with so many loose ends untied?

Puzzled!!

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Okay well i can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse, or if you genuinely have a form of autism which means you're unable to understand context.

If it's the former then i'm embarrassed for you for feigning a disability in order to deflect criticism from your beloved board.

If it's the latter then i'm embarrassed at myself for being drawn into an argument with a genuinely disabled person.

Either way, your posts have made me cringe so hard i now feel sick and can't eat brunch.

8. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    First of all, we've not received a penny from VVD's sell on because he's not been sold. Southampton are quite adamant that he won't be sold in this window (although in my opinion he will), so as a business we can't possibly go splashing money that we don't have as yet - that would be stupidity.

Secondly, who says that the club are penny pinching in the slightest with regards to Roberts and Armstrong? For all you know, City have said that they have no interest in selling Roberts and similarly have no interest in loaning him back to us. Alternatively, City could be asking for well in excess of £12m for a transfer which is double our record transfer fee.

For all you know Stuart Armstrong has ambitions to move down south and try his luck in the Premiership. Alternatively he may have asked to be put in line with our highest earners on £30,000 to £40,000 which could subsequently ask for numerous others in the squad to ask for wage rises and destroy our whole wage structure. On the other hand, Celtic may have put in a low ball offer which he feels doesn't reflect his progression and importance.

My point is (and this isn't a dig aimed entirely at you - nothing person), but 99.9999999% of people writing for the papers, tweeting, posting on Facebook or even writing on here dont have the slightest bit of inside knowledge on matters and all just jump to their own conclusions and then attack the board and blame the club (or in Armstrong's case, the player) and all of a sudden the feel good factor you described is destroyed and becomes poisonous. Not as a result of the club, but as a result of the media and social media.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Who says we are penny pinching ? No-one knows what Roberts or Armstrong have been offered in fact Roberts seems to be totally out of our hands and Armstrong seems to be wanting to hold off himself. Neither of these can be, seriously, levelled at the board as failings or examples of penny pinching.

The salary caps are in place because that's how a successful business is run, it has taken time to get here but it could be undone so easily. We all seen how long it took to get the debt down after MON.

If every player automatically qualifies for a pay increase because they have won the treble will they be as happy to receive a pay reduction, if we don't retain it, and see a drop in income ? No it wont work that way so neither should it work the other way, that is what bonuses are for anyway.

Its you who seems to be suffering from a lack of understanding regarding what they posted.

Ps this wasn't an argument as far as I was concerned, all I have done is highlight your confusion. Its a shame you are taking it so badly though :50:

10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I would have rephrased my OP to say "milking the profits", but i suspect you'd just come steaming back in to demand that i report Lawwell to the police for interfering with Desmond's nipples.

Can just imagine your incensed post,

"Don't you even know what milking is?? If you believe Desmond is being milked you should phone the police. Lactating a board member is a serious criminal offence. I won't hold my breath for you reporting this hideous crime."

11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye of course you could have, although if you had, you would still have been talking * mate.
    I'm just glad I've been able to help here :50:

12. Sween

I wouldnt say im a fan of Lawwell (for reasons very different to your own) but Lawwell can make much more money elsewhere. Him being at celtic isnt driven by making as much money as possible. And I see no evidence to suggest he isnt a celtic fan.

I dont really have an opinion regarding the place of celtic in this modern football circus. I hate modern football and if it wasnt for celtic I wouldnt pay much attention to the likes of the champions league for example. But it is what it is. My point is simply that the reason why there is such a conflict between fans view of the club and the board is because it is impossible today to be a leading football club brand and to fight UEFA and promote singing about the IRA.

I have a few more likes now!

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's amazing how we agree on so much (including all that bit in bold) and yet disagree on whether political displays are worth it. :giggle1:

Lot of respect for your views and the way you argue your case, mate :50:; but I would argue that if you wait a while, the current situation in football will change, it has to. Better to carry on fighting than to give up a key part of our identity IMO, this horrible system can't last forever.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Glad we finally agree.

He isn't going to have it much easier elsewhere. 60,000 fans consistantly generating massive revenue, a team lightyears ahead of everyone else in the country, transfer links down south which create huge income via transfer fees as well as the opportunity to snap up and develop young talent, european football, permission from the council to build a hotel/museum, 2 shirt sponsors.

He won't get it better anywhere else unless he turns out to be Neymar's biological father.

15. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it..

16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Well, as you clearly aren't stupid, it was only a matter of time before you would realise your error :50:

17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I see you've read Bunk Moreland's book. :50:

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    No I haven't tbh however its always a comfort when I see fellow fans taking the time to correct folk from spouting *.

At least you have got some use out of your wee creation, so the time wasn't totally wasted I suppose :50:

19. celtic warrior

Pretty sure he's turned down very lucrative deals with Arsenal.

The term huge income is all very relative, in the end what we bring in each year is nowhere near the top 30 clubs anymore, huge transfer fees to us is pennies to rest of the big leagues in Europe.

I believe Celtic are in a unique position whereby fans spending money is still critical to our success, whereas again in the rest of the big leagues in Europe when you truly consider transfer fees and wage bills, I don't think fans really make much of difference except mostly for atmosphere, when clubs are selling players as marketing tools for sponors, selling their Stadium name, TV deals and in special cases like the man cities of this world who find various loopholes to pump millions intothe team fans I feel mean nothing.

Celtic do not have such luxuries, lawell and the board have to make hard and unpopular decisions because for one fan making th news about something or a group making news about a supposed IRA piece that is going to have a detrimental effect on sponsors who want to align with us.

The fans out our club financially are still big players in our success, however to give no credit to lawell is complete disservice, financially as I've said this club would not be in the position it is now wi5 be able to afford the likes of Rodgers as a manager and the players if not for Lawell to say otherwise then we may as well demand they are all made redundant and just let the fans have their way with the club which will only end badly.

Sween likes this.
  20. Murph-E

Peter Liewell and Minty Moonbeams are my 2 least favourite TC nicknames, took me ages to catch on Liewell wasn't just Lawwell spelt incorrectly.