1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheHappyLoss

Maybe mate. Didn't really know where to post my original post. We are in a far better position than we were this time last season and losing players to injury has been hugely unlucky. Probably just nervous about Wednesday and gutted about Paddy. Still think in the main signings on the whole have been less than expected.

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Candyman We love you Celtic (we do)

Embarrassing comments...

Even more embarrassing comments...

So Peter Lawwell, who is Celtic through and through (FACT!) and has done more for this club than use two could ever dream of is a * aye?

Pair of * muppets :bash:.

Ewang83 and Jeannie960 like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I can't really disagree with any of that bud :50:

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Peter lawell is paid to run the club I wouldn't as far as go and say he does more for the club than the fans daft retaliation to a comment tbh. Peter lawell is paid to do a job and he does it well come back with that' statement when he actually forks out for his own replica top his own seat he takes at park head or pays for his own bt sport or sky subscription but I highly doubt he does and that the club fits the bill for all of that actually

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

5. Sween

But the reason celtic are a much bigger brand than hibs isnt because some celtic fans sing about the IRA. It is because celtic, along with rangers, created a duopoly which is now a monopoly. Since Fergus it has had more money, more brand power and far more success.

Which is kind of at the heart of this debate. It feels like being a dominant financial monopoly sits very uneasy with a lot of fans who prefer the rebel image. But sadly if you want success in this modern age then it means promoting your club like any brand or PLC.

There are many small clubs that exist solely to serve the local community played for by guys who only do it for the love of playing. I went to the Spartans a few times when I lived near by and the work they do for charity, local communities, kids clubs, etc, is fantastic. I think we collectively kid ourselves on with this "more than a club" stuff that celtic are such a club but we aren't. But the reason celtic get into the champions league and spartans dont is precisely because we have monopolised scottish football.

So although I disagree with the boards approach to the political stuff, on the whole they are doing what they are there to do.

6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Nae bother Peter.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Lawwell's a * * and so are his bawhangers.

The guy supports the board and their investors, and making a load of cash for their pockets. The fact that they're attached to Celtic FC is a mere coincidence.

Would a Celtic supporter invite war mongerers and tories onto the board?

Would a Celtic supporters try and deny the Celtic staff the living wage?

Would a Celtic supporter collude with the police to have their fellow supporters arrested?

Would a Celtic supporter claim that Irish republicanism has nothing to do with Celtic's history?

Would a Celtic supporter punt our best players the first chance they get?

Would a Celtic supporter subject the club to years of 'projects' and cheap options?

Would a Celtic supporter invite the Justice for the 96 campaign to Celtic Park, then the very next day give an "exclusive interview" with the Sun.

Every single good thing that gets attributed to him was actually created by the fans turning up and supporting the team through thick and thin.

The club have made record profits despite him, not because of him.

The club have won 6 in a row despite him.

We've got Brendan Rodgers despite him.

The club have a standing section despite him.

He's a profiteer, a revisionist, and an occasional embarrassment to the club. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    * * what a load of * lol

celticpro likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

You missed fat * * and a scumbag.

10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Typical boardroom baw-hugger level of insight there.

Doogs. and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. Bunk Moreland

12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Not sure why you quoted my post in such a weird way. Especially when your only responses were "Not his fault, we're a PLC", and "Rat *".

He's the chief executive of the PLC btw. So all those criticisms still apply.

Not sure what you're on about "rat *", are you suggesting all our success is down to Lawwell and not the fans?

littlekennie likes this.
  13. Bunk Moreland

No what I'm saying is that every one of your statements are incorrect and I responded in the same ignorant and childish way as you made them.

14. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    You do understand how discussions work don't you?

If you disagree with anything I wrote then you're supposed to say what you think is wrong with it, then maybe offer up an alternative viewpoint or some line of thinking that backs that up.

You can't just say someone is wrong, then when I ask why go, "because of reasons". That's not how this works.

If you think my OP was ignorant and childish then you should have just said that. Instead of attempting to enter a discussion then making a total pig's * of it.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. Bunk Moreland

Oh the same way you did with the Antifa argument in the supporters chat thread :56: Glass houses and stones mate

16. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Okay pal.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hey, mate. Good post, I don't really disagree with any of your main points. Thing is, mate, although it is true that I absolutely do want to have my cake and eat it and genuinely believe that is possible, if I had to choose between being Celtic the size of Hibs or being Hibs the size of Celtic, I would choose the former without hesitation. I think a lot of fans would feel the same as me on this. I think it is quite telling of the major differences in our assumptions about what is good or not good for Celtic that you read my post as saying that we are big and successful and Hibs much less so due to our retaining the political aspect. When I say allowing UEFA and the Scottish establishment to "Hibbify" us would harm us a lot, I don't mean financially or even in terms of success on the field; I mean we wouldn't be Celtic anymore. We'd be a bigger, more successful Hibs. Hibs 2.0, so to speak).

We can't be as good as a small club like Spartans, I know that, due to the constraints that come with being a big club in this current era; but we do do a lot, it's not an illusion that we are more than a club. I think you're setting the bar too high, mate.

Maybe where we disagree is on just how permanent this current situation is. Without wanting to derail the thread by starting a different debate (although I can't think of anyone I would enjoy talking to more on the topic than yourself), but a lot of us are fairly convinced that the current system is not going to last much longer (though the signs are it may well be replaced by something even worse TBH) and and we all hope Celtic lasts a very long time. Certainly the current football financial bubble is definitely unsustainable, it's an obvious bubble.

I see us trying to get rid of important parts of our identity in order to make us more marketable and profitable in a system that Celtic to some extent (the TV money bubble) long predates and (hopefully) will long outlast. If we lose that real political tradition in the fans, if it is broken, we'll never get it back again. At best we'll be left with drunken dafties who really know * all about politics singing obnoxious songs about the Lee Rigby's of the day.

18. TIM O'Brien

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooperman
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    You need to realise you're too * smart for the core group of this forum.. Hence why you only have two likes. :56:

19. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Candyman We love you Celtic (we do)
    Bull.

We only need to take a look back to the 80's & 90's when we had The Kelly's in charge and were a shambles, to see the exponential rise that we have had since through people like Fergus and Desmond. Whether you like it or not Peter Lawwell has played a massive part in our success and I for one am proud of him and grateful for the commercial impact he has brought. Our club is run in a first class manner from top to bottom, just look at the huns and be thankful we have skilled people at the helm. The only thing holding us back from being a top ten grossing club in the world is the pathetic league we play in... nothing else.

Big C and richie87 like this.
  20. wulliebad

:rofl: