1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Think extending his contract is the wrong move, has a handful of mistakes in him which have already gotten us knocked out of a European competition once.

2. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A competition in which we would not have gotten as far as we did without his saves.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I would say his distribution has improved, but he's still a mad bassa, capable of madness :84:

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It will cost us one day, it's the nature of it. The fact it hasn't while he's been adapting to that sort of play is * miraculous

5. scootz

:87:

I think it's fair to say that he does 'realise' this, and would likely favour just hoofing the ball clear every time it comes to him.

Passing the ball out through the defence seems to be the thing with some managers just now. CG never used to do it much, but he pretty much does it all the time now... so I think odds-on that Brendan is one of those managers that wants it being done!

I wouldn't be giving the Bhoy pelters for it as far FAR better keepers than him have been made to look ridiculous through this strategy recently.

6. Finn Balor

Agreed, that's the nature of this style of play we're seeing. Most times it will work, sometimes it won't. To play nice football you need to take chances to achieve it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. GlenLoovens'LusciousLocks

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens the legend
    You need the right players to achieve it aswell. Gordon is not the right player. A new keeper ASAP who will play the way Brendan tells him, but the difference is, hopefully he'll actually he good unlike Gordon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    Of course these are Brendan's instructions, everyone can see that, but I doubt that Brendan will go that far to make him pass it at all cost when sometimes it's simply logical to clear it, I'm talking about situations when you and your teammates are under serious pressure, and when you know that passing would lead to a * up. I doubt Brendan would be that stubborn. In case he wants Gordon to pass it in every situation, then we should't make a big fuss when Gordon makes a wrong pass or if we concede because of a misplaced pass from or GK, because Gordon isn't 100% comfortable with making such passes, although he significantly improved in that area.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not the way Brendan want's it played mate. He's said as much here, he said the same at Liverpool and he said the same at Swansea.

Bolded bit is spot on. It's down to BR if that happens, which it will it somepoint, Brendan just thinks the positives outweigh the risks. He's been right so far.

Just Kieran and Cofi#12-CFC1888 like this.
  10. GlenLoovens'LusciousLocks

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens the legend
    Either Gordon has got it wrong, or dare I say it, Brendan has. He's not the right man to play the style that Brendan wants. So either change the keeper, or the style. The latter is more likely. If Gordon plays like this in Europe we are *. He's alright in spfl cause the players we come up against are *. New keeper please.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

To be fair, every sweeper keeper makes the odd duff pass. It happens.

Even Claudio Bravo who is considered one of the most comfortable 'keepers on the ball has had a few shockers.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  12. GlenLoovens'LusciousLocks

Fav Celtic Player:
    Loovens the legend
    I completely agree, everyone's human. But there's a difference between a mistake, and being *. Gordon made 3/4 terrible passes within the first 15 mins, inviting pressure. Luckily, they weren't clinical, and didn't take their chances when they arose. I keep banging on about this, but in Europe, it will cost us, majorly (and previously has).

13. StevieBhoooy!

BBC saying a new deal is done..

Really pleased myself, he will only continue to improve with us!

Really do find some of the recent views on him here strange.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  14. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Aye just heard it on the bbc news on radio Scotland , am well chuffed :yeah::ynwacelti

15. BruceLeeBhoy

The whole playing it out from the back thing is about possesion, blootering it up the park is 50/50 on retaining possesion. Playing it out is maybe 80/20 I dont know but it must be much better than 50/50.

Gordon has improved massively in that area and I have been impressed considering how much of an issue it had been. He took in a high ball on his chest and got a completed pass away in one game when lustig flung a passback at him.

Praise when its due, although he needs to chill with the kung fu kicks outside the box, could have had a few reds this season for that.

He is better than he has ever been right now- overall game is much improved and his reaction stops are submlime sometimes.

Rank him as highly as anyone we have had here over the last maybe 15 years maybe longer

16. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm delighted.
    He's a good goalkeeper. And at 34 has shown incredible hunger for the game to work on his distribution to the point it has improved substantially.

His reluctance to play long has to be an instruction from the coaching staff. Remember, he was dropped as soon as De Vries was signed, he is possibly fearful, and righly so, that if he doesn't play as instructed he'll be out again.
    My own feeling on it is that Brendan insists on a pass rather than a hoof, to the extent he has probably absolved Craig of any mistakes that come from it to encourage him to look for the pass. His decision making needs work, when to come, which pass to play. He will have more moments leaving the box as part of the 'keeper sweeper' role is to play high. Hopefully his next out of box experiance is a head high kung fu kick on Joe Garner. I suspect everyone could forgive him that one.

A new keeper in the summer I feel is still needed as I don't have much confidence in De Vries & have been disappointed at how Bailly has worked out, I thought he should've gone to Raith on loan.

Fasan isn't the long term solution either. I've seen a bit of his games at Port Vale, only extended hihghlights, but I'm not convinced.

BruceLeeBhoy likes this.
  17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So no Costil then, I'm away for a * greet.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HOOPS No.1 Craig Gordon has committed himself to the club by signing a new three-year deal keeping him at Celtic Park until 2020.

The 34-year-old shot-stopper has been in superb form this season with 22 clean sheets and this week he has extended his original contract, after joining almost three years ago.

Advances made by English Premier League leaders, Chelsea during the January transfer window to obtain his services were rebuffed by the club and Brendan Rodgers moved to secure the services of the keeper with an extended contract.

The Scotland internationalist said: “It’s taken a little while after the interest in the January window but it’s good to finally get it done and concentrate on the rest of the season.

“It was quite stop-start, there was a lot of things going on within the club, it wasn’t a continuous thing, it wasn’t like we were talking about it for months. There were two or three occasions when we sat down and talked about it, it was fairly straight forward in the end, I wanted to stay.”

With the League Cup won without Gordon conceding a single goal, the Premiership title in sight and a place in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup in the bag, it’s an exciting time to be part of the Celtic team and the keeper is looking forward to the remainder of the season.

He said: “We’ve a big chance to go for another trophy before the end of the season and we’re well ahead in the league, it’s only a matter of time before we wrap that one up. We’re looking good, we don’t want to look too far in the future, we’ve got a lot to try and finish off this season, it’s a very exciting time.

“It’s been a good season, the team have been playing really well domestically, we’ve won every match since I’ve been back in the team, you can’t really ask for a lot more than that.

“It’s great to be involved and the manager’s been brilliant with me. We’re always trying to adapt and move the team forward and he’s been great with my style of play, I try and make sure that I’m doing everything he needs for the team to progress as well.”

The keeper can now fully concentrate on his daily training routine with fellow top-team keepers, Logan Bailly and Dorus de Vries while Leo Fasan is on loan with English League One side, Port Vale.

The decision to remain at Celtic Park was made easier with the vibrant atmosphere among the club’s goalkeeping department and, in particular, the training under the guidance of coach Stevie Woods was a key factor in extending his contract.

Gordon said: “We’ve always had a good group of goalies, Woodsy is a big part of that. He makes sure that the atmosphere’s good for training and that we’re pushing each other. The goalkeepers are all developing, trying to do the things that we need to do to set the team off on the right foot.

“It’s enjoyable to go in and train with them every day. Logan’s the joker out of the four of us, Leo’s away on loan and Dorus has come in but we’re really a tight knit group.

“If we can just stop Logan and Dorus speaking Flemish all the time at least we could understand what they’re saying! It’s them against me and Woodsy in head tennis, we’re still champs and hopefully we can keep that going for the next three years.”

With a change in management team last summer and the arrival of Brendan Rodgers, Gordon knew ensuring he remained Celtic’s No.1 could present a challenge:

He said: “I think it’s the same for every player when a new manager comes in, you want to prove your worth to the team. You also want to stay in the team and it’s taken a little while for me to do that and to be able to adapt to the way he wants me to play.

“Thankfully I’ve been able to do that and hopefully I’ll be able to continue to do that over the next three years.

“Hopefully that’s not the end either, I’m hoping to play on as long as I possibly can. There may be one contract beyond this but it’s good for the next three years to know that stability is there and I’m going to be here fighting for trophies.”

Following a spell England with Sunderland after making his name with Hearts, Gordon was sidelined for two years through injury but, since arriving in Glasgow’s East End in the summer of 2014, he hasn’t looked back.

He added: “It’s a big comeback, it’s not something that I think about too often. Probably when I look back at the end of my career to see how far I’ve come it’ll be even more of an achievement but I want to concentrate on the here and now and make sure I make the most of it.

I’ve done the hard work to get to this point, I know there will be an awful lot more hard work to stay here for the next three years and beyond, that’s the challenge.”

Xatraps and BruceLeeBhoy like this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. BruceLeeBhoy

that is hilarious.

agree with thte rest of your post too