1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    sad sad news . met billy a couple of times , just in awe of the man .

2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Telling you mate it's amazing how long this terrible illness draws out :54: I'm coming round to the idea we should all be given a choice well in advance whether we want to live with it. My mum always said she hoped that would never happen to her.

3. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    What now?

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    You can see he's suffering. A giant like that as well, to this. Horrible..

Sorry to hear that of your own Jeannie..

buchanbhoy and mygirlmaria like this.
  5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Celtic Lion, Celtic Legend. Hail Caesar.

georgiebhoy likes this.
  6. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Horrible news and even worse illness. My nan suffered with this towards the end of her life and was in a care home. Absolutely soul crushing to watch it happen and how it affects people.

Tough for us as fans who idolise him but what he and his family have been dealing with and will have to deal with pales in comparison.

A bit cliché now but thoughts and prayers will definitely be for him and his family and sufferers in general of what is one the harshest diseases there is.

Finn Balor likes this.
  7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Thanks mate. It's been going on a good few years now and looks like she's on the final lap. It must be harder for someone like Billy who's always been in the public eye.

packybhoy and McChiellini.. like this.
  8. Moustache

Heartbreaking :54:

I've had experience with dementia in my family and it's a truly awful disease; I wouldn't wish that sort of suffering on anyone.

On a more positive note, it was nice to read that he apparently still gets some sort of happiness from the football. Hopefully the club does everything in its power to make it a comfortable experience for him and his family when they next attend a match.

Finn Balor likes this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I've always said that as well, I'm * petrified of it.

10. Aidan O’Shea

Heartbreaking. A * of an illness. Dementia and Motor Neurone are the two that truly scare me.

11. Icicle

Sad news :54:

12. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    * man. As much as we all hate to admit it, the lions are slipping away from us. Hail Caesar :shamrock:

13. HailHoopy

Look up the word Captain in the dictionary, and you'll see a picture of Caesar :shamrock:

kinglenny likes this.
  14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Really sad reading that @Crow, he really is a giant among men.

15. The Greenman King of kings

Absolutely heartbreaking :54:

Stay strong big man:shamrock:

16. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    No, they all scare me mate. I found out yesterday a 'friend' (of sorts) i hadnt seen in a year died of cancer last month. (49)They are all scary. Toast your health!

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  17. MattD

As a casual follower of Celtic (I'm a Liverpool fan who joined last year to extol the virtues of Brendan!), I don't often post here so forgive me for not realising that Billy McNeill suffers from dementia. This is something I also read with dread with our fellow great Ron Yeats who I only just recently learnt is suffering from the same illness.

* bless The Captain, he's in good hands with you lot. Let his loved ones and Celtic's performances give him peace of mind.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC bosses hailed the “grace, humility and dignity” of Billy McNeill as his battle with dementia was revealed.

Chief executive Peter Lawwell has pledged the Hoops will continue to support their ex-captain and former manager — who is also an official club ambassador.

And he paid tribute to the Lisbon Lion’s wife of 54 years, Liz, who has always been his rock.

Mr Lawwell said: “Billy is a man of true stature, someone who has given so much of his life to Celtic and at all times with such grace, humility and dignity.

“He is respected by all in football and someone who will always be loved dearly by all Celtic supporters.

“Personally, it is a privilege to have known Billy for so many years. To me he will always be such an inspirational figure.

“We were delighted to welcome Billy as our ambassador and to honour all he did for the club when we unveiled his statue at Celtic Park — a fitting tribute to Celtic’s greatest ever captain.

“We have always been in contact with Billy and his family and have been aware for some time of the challenges he has been facing, a situation he has met with true bravery, a quality synonymous with Billy McNeill.

“I know Liz has been an absolute tower of strength. Her compassion and care has been crucial and I would like to pay tribute to her and the rest of the family.”

Mr Lawwell added: “He is a very special man and everyone at Celtic will continue to give Billy and his family every support.”

Celtic FC Foundation will donate cash from a charity match involving Hoops legends Henrik Larsson and Lubo Moravcik to projects associated with dementia.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG]

You'll Never Walk Alone, Billy. Forever our greatest captain, a true Celt and most of all, a gentleman. Had the pleasure of meeting him outside the stadium a few years ago and had my photo taken with him. Was starstruck. Had first hand experience of the disease after our family looked after my grandma while she battled it. Horrible disease. But no disease will ever erase the image above amongst our support.

20. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Wow I'm shocked at this news!
    Nature may wear the body down in the end but in our memories he will always be a true giant.
    Keep fighting Cesar!! The thoughts of the Celtic family worldwide will be with you and your family.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    charlietully likes this.