1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

History of support for Palestine

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by soccer_historian1, Nov 22, 2016.

Discuss History of support for Palestine in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. soccer_historian1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Hi all, I am a university student and footballer from the states. I was hoping to gain some insight into the origins of the support for Palestine that has been demonstrated throughout the years. I am searching for information from a purely historical perspective. I understand that Palestinian flags began to be flown by supporters at matches ~ 2002-2003, but I would love to discover a more solid origin match or date. Thanks!

2. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
  3. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    The more politically active members of our support have always supported the Palestinian struggle, as there are obvious similarities with the anti-colonial liberation struggle in Ireland.

However, since the Irish struggle has come to a partial agreement (that is, the violent confrontation with the state forces has been scaled down significantly, though the struggle for independence continues) Palestine has become the more pressing issue and therefore where political energy would previously have focused predominately on the Irish struggle, it is now directed at those struggles which have yet to reach a satisfactory outcome.

bagforlife, StPauli1916 and Drakhan like this.
  4. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I recall support for the Palestinian cause in the Jungle in the 80's. Not sure of a particular moment that brought it into focus

5. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Aye, it's always been there just as there was always support for the Basque country and the anti-apartheid struggle in South Africa.

But I think the Palestinian issue has becoming particularly pronounced in recent times. For instance, if you flick through photos of the Jungle in 70s 80s and even 90s, it's pretty much exclusively Irish tricolours. There's a greater mix of flags today. You could easily pick out Palestine flags at any of our games for the past ten years.

6. soccer_historian1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Thank you all for the replies. Would you attribute the increased concentration of Palestinian flags seen in the last ten years to greater levels of organization from groups like the Green Brigade whereas previous demonstrations were more individually driven? Also, are there any songs/chants that refer to Palestine, specifically any that may have been modified from previous songs?

7. soccer_historian1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Any good examples of anti Israeli songs/chants sung? Would you say Israel holds some of the same political representation that England does in terms of being an oppressive power?

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The creation of dedicated supporters groups definitely has had an effect.

There are no songs or chants about Palestine, that I'm aware of.

We don't sing anti-Israeli songs.

In regards to the second question, no.

9. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I remember seeing a picture of someone taking a * on their flag a few months ago... Never heard any anti Israel songs mind you :56:

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What a waste of time. :56:

11. angusceltic67

Aye, sure ye are :giggle1:

12. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

C2D62C5E-78DB-4E8F-A865-4DE96D8DD4E8.jpeg

Met this lovely old couple on the flight back from Rome. They lived in Gaza. They asked me to share this card with as many people as I could. His wife Jan is making a tapestry to represent the history of Palestine. She has already contributed to a tapestry during the apartheid regime in SA. Please if you have time send them an email or check out their website. He asked for some constructive criticism or suggestions on what to add to it.
    He had a lot of praise for our fans and his wife thanked me for our continued support for Palestinian people